Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
crazywakeboarder

Yellowtail with a friend - video

After coming home with my first yellowtail and bringing some into work to share with my coworkers one of my buddies asked me to take him out and see if he could get a yellow.

He hooked 2. We lost the first to sea lions after it wrapped itself in the kelp. The second, I was able to gaff my first fish (after 3 atempts) and he got to take home his first yellow. Caught on our last bait on our way back in.

First was hooked on a greenback around 11:30. Second on a spanish around 4.

He was so pumped after catching the yellow. I put a video together of the trip. Make sure to check out the last 15 seconds or so to see just how excited he was. Fighting that fish definitely got the adrenaline flowing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPN0SHCrlao

Going back out with him on Tuesday hoping to catch another!

Last edited by crazywakeboarder; 10-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
JDW

Awesome video!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Samcro

Thumbs up

Cool Video...nice to see some Tandem kayak reports.
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

You gave that yellow your "oh" face nice haven't seen a tandem with a outrigger out there before sweet set up
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcro View Post
Cool Video...nice to see some Tandem kayak reports.
It is definitely an added bonus to have another person out with you, to help out and its more enjoyable. The tandem island is a beast to load back onto the trailer after a full day out on the water if I'm alone. If you ever see me loading up feel free to lend a hand
Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Samcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
It is definitely an added bonus to have another person out with you, to help out and its more enjoyable. The tandem island is a beast to load back onto the trailer after a full day out on the water if I'm alone. If you ever see me loading up feel free to lend a hand
I completely agree. Fishing with a buddy and seeing there face light up on there first fish is priceless. I will soon feel your pain in regards to loading and unloading when I get the Pro Angler Tandem 17.
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
JDW

What kind of trailer do you have for your Tandem IA? Can you launch from La Jolla Shores solo? I've been thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
What kind of trailer do you have for your Tandem IA? Can you launch from La Jolla Shores solo? I've been thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance!
There are two types of Island Kayaks from Hobie and your response was not very clear so just to make sure: The Adventure Island or AI is a solo island and there is the TI or Tandem Island which I have. I purchased the trailex trailer for the tandem island which they also sell a smaller version for the adventure island :
https://www.austinkayak.com/products...em-Island.html

I launch it solo from La Jolla but it is definitely a workout. Unloading is easy as I just slide it off the trailer. But lifting it back onto and sliding it back up the trailer is the challenge. I used to car top it, but after doing that twice and wanting to save my back I purchased the trailer.

On the water though I can easily propel it alone and it has more room then one needs for fishing. It also sails great but I leave that at home when fishing. I would suggest purchasing a used TI and trailer combo from someone and save yourself some money. I purchased my TI used and it was practically new but I had to fork out and buy a brand new trailer. There are other cheaper options for trailers but I went with the Trailex designed for the TI since its aluminum (light and wont rust). I can roll the trailer around with the TI loaded on it by hand by holding up the tongue.

Im currently working on a mount to rig a trolling motor, batteries, and solar panel to the kayak. I plan to do a sail to Catalina next summer and I want to carry a motor with me in case the winds die down

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
kaya_one

Always love the vids. Loch Ness at 1:25.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
Always love the vids. Loch Ness at 1:25.
There was already 3 circling over our fish when that fourth one showed up. The big male is the one that grabbed our fish and then tossed it around for a few minutes as if to show off "his catch". It was irritating to watch. I should have recorded it but I was pissed and just wanted to get back to fishing
Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
taggermike

Looks like a fun trip. Nice YT too. I fish a single adventure island with 1 outrigger on and it's a pain to load. That double must be a nightmare. I don't want to be an a-hole or know it all so take this if you want; grabbing the line and pulling the fish towards the gaff is a good way to loose a fish.
Your buddy will remember that fish forever. Keep up the good work. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Thumbs up Fantastic video

I adored the look, expression and the body language of your friend. Nice job getting him out there and putting him on fish!

Janine
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Looks like a fun trip. Nice YT too. I fish a single adventure island with 1 outrigger on and it's a pain to load. That double must be a nightmare. I don't want to be an a-hole or know it all so take this if you want; grabbing the line and pulling the fish towards the gaff is a good way to loose a fish.
Your buddy will remember that fish forever. Keep up the good work. Mike
Im surprised we didnt loose the fish while I missed with the gaff a few times. Should I just wait for the fish to circle around under me and gaff it? It was my first time gaffing if you couldnt tell and I definitely welcome advice on how to improve
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Nice video and nice catch too and I like ur yak set up
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Ramos23

Great video!
Ramos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Thanks for sharing and great job putting your buddy on the fish!

Just a note for your buddy: it's generally a bad idea to stand in front of the yak when surf landing - that's how you get run over by your own yak.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #17
blitzburgh

Straight STOKE right there!