Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Bad day in Asuncion

Decided to go out yesterday. Been trying to get to an area in the bay called Los Chorros which is a big surf spot for the locals and some nice rocky structure that holds Yellowtail. Been trying to find a closer launch spot because it looked like a 4 mile paddle if I launched in the village but couldn't find any place protected along that whole coastline. Yesterday looked like a nice day with little wind predicted, albeit high surf, so I decided to launch in the village and paddle over there. We'll first of all, my kayak tipped over while carting it down to the launch and the pressure put on the rod in one of my flush mounts tore out two of the 3 screws of the flush mount. Launched and paddled to the area, which turned out to be a bit over 5 miles. Found a nice spot of chunky calicos and some of the biggest sandies that I have seen down here but no yellows. Decided to work the surf line on the way back, slow trolling krocs. There is some big surf going on here right now but the closer I got to the village the more protected it was so I could troll in 5 to 8 ft of water but with my head on a swivel to watch for some sneakers. Had a pretty steady pick on corvina corbina and small butts. Got to a spot where both of my rods went off. Pulled in one corbina which had tangled with my other line which also had a fish on it. Was busy unhooking and untangling and looked up from my work and had enough time to say OH Shit! Before a 5 ft wave crashed on me and I went for a tumble. Was basically on shore when I was able to stand up in the middle of a yard sale. Luckily I had so much line out on my other rod, by the time I was done tumbling, myself, my yak and all 4 rods were lashed together in a spectra Web. The yak was heavy because the broken seal on the flush mount let in a good deal of water. Slowly got untangled and organized on the shore and started to survey the wreckage. Not too bad considering. Lost my pliers and scissors, one plastic tackle box with a few jigs, lost my glasses, broken buckle on my seat back. One plastic tackle box, my lunch, and my gaff washed ashore. Probably took an hour to get reorganized, all the time worrying about the relaunch. After a bit more waiting there was a nice lull and was able to get out without even a wave over the bow.
Got home and was able the jury rig the seat but not sure how I am going to fix the flush mount. Tried to put some fender washers underneath and rivet it back in but wasn't real successful and have now run out of rivets. Today was reel cleaning day. Got everything running smooth again with the exception of my Bait runner which I am afraid is a lost cause
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Deamon

That's some crazy shit right there Rossman! Asuncion surf by yourself!!!!!!!

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

No pics; didn't happen.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
jorluivil

Sounds like a typical surf launch for me

Glad you're ok

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Sounds like a typical surf launch for me

Glad you're ok
2x
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Got extra parts if you need them. I used some flat plastic inside my hull to stiffen my flushmounts. If you can make the right oval shape you can just use screws to sandwich it all together.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Sully1

I guess the tiger was panting.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Got extra parts if you need them. I used some flat plastic inside my hull to stiffen my flushmounts. If you can make the right oval shape you can just use screws to sandwich it all together.
Thought about that Greg but there is no way to get my hand behind everything to hold it all in place to screw it together or to get a nut and washer on if I used bolts. Maybe some of those guys that you push through drywall and the expand on the other side but doubtful I can find them in stainless or brass. Zed says JB Weld it to the deck. Maybe I'll just buy a new yak.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 01-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Welcome to the dark side rossman!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1 View Post
I guess the tiger was panting.

I thought... WHAT???. Now I get it.
— Herman Melville

Old 01-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
svendawg

Now's your chance to get a Hobie.
Glad you made it home safely
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
GregAndrew

If the location is the standard behind seat flush mounts you can do it. I have on most of my kayaks. just need a piece of string and a stick. Precut the backer and predrill for the screws. Then tie the string to the middle of the stick and thread it thru the hull and then the backer plate (at the rod pod). Pull the string out of the hull until the backer is held in the basic area and align the center and screw holes of both. Drop the flushmount thru and line up the holes while keeping pressure on line. Start the first 2 screws. Then add Goop, start the 3rd screw and tighten them all. A piece of cheap cutting board will work just fine for the backer and fishing line will fit in the hole easily with the flushmount.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Thought about that Greg but there is no way to get my hand behind everything to hold it all in place to screw it together or to get a nut and washer on if I used bolts. Maybe some of those guys that you push through drywall and the expand on the other side but doubtful I can find them in stainless or brass. Zed says JB Weld it to the deck. Maybe I'll just buy a new yak.
West Marine sells SS toggle bolts for a pretty penny. Also, sort of an addition to Greg's idea is to cut your backing plate in half so that it will fit though the flush mount hole and goop in on.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Glad you made it back safely. You went to Baja for adventure, looks like you have had your fair share. Save some for the rest of us. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #15
cabojohn
PROBATION

Whoa Rossman...you like to live dangerously.
Tangled up in the shore pound is never a good place to be.
Flashbacks of Aliso...glad your OK
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
tanners
Junior

Could always use toggle bolts. That's how I attached a T-top on my old center console. Held up for 5 years without the slightest wiggle until I sold it.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #17
walrus

Life is an adventure, and you on a full scale expedition.

I look forward to all of your posts. I'm very happy to hear your O.K, be careful I'm looking forward to meeting you one of these days.