Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
RubiconAg
Junior

COD Rudder on X-13

So this weekend was my 5th trip out on the new yak that I picked up around the 1st of the month. As I was coming in for a shore landing on a local lake my rudder went crazy. I turned around to find that on of my steering lines (string/thin rope) has broke right at the attachment point to the rudder assembly . After closely inspecting the opposite side, it looks like that rope is beginning to fray in the same spot.

Has anyone else had this issue with their COD rudder lines?

This was my only let down when I bought the yak seeing the string setup. I understand the desire to use something that is not affected by the salt; however, my fear of the line breaking became a reality. I also have a Perception Caster 12.5 w/rudder that has stainless steel cables, better petal assemblies (rails and clips instead of straps and ropes) and secure steel eyelets and bolts as opposed to a string with a knot. Has anyone retrofitted a COD rudder with better steering mechanisms? Any help is appreciated.
RubiconAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I have had the COD rudder on an X 13 for a few weeks, no signs of wear yet. I am assuming that yours wore through the loop? The original COD rudder did come with stainless cable and a sleeve. This is supposed be a more bullet proof system.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
RubiconAg
Junior

Thats exactly where it broke. It looks like it was on the underside of the steering "arm" though. I ordered my X-13 with the rudder from Malibu, it came with the strings already attached and tied. I used your picture to highlight the area where mine broke. The other side is chaffed pretty bad as well. I am thinking about trying to find some type of eyelet that I can crimp on to the string. Hopefully this might take the movement a little better.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I've had to make a few mods to the Feathercraft rudder on my X-Factor. The rudder came with SS cables that were crimped into a loop at each end. This set-up was less than satisfactory. The first time they were installed, the cables were crimped a little too short. This left me with less rudder swing than I wanted. I had the cables replaced and crimped to the right length, but they didn't last very long. The replacement SS cable corroded within a few months and broke (rudder stuck hard over going through the surf ) I also had a problem with the frayed tag end scratching my leg all the time.

Here is the new set up

I replaced the SS cables with 1.8mm Spyder Line from New England Ropes. The line has a Dyneema core with a UV resistant polyester sheath. It has almost no stretch and the parting strength is 350lbs. You can get this stuff at West Marine. I think this line is far superior to SS cable. The biggest advantage is that you can precisely adjust the rudder throw by moving the knots. It's so much easier than crimping the SS cables. There is no stretch, so the rudder response feels just as firm as with the SS cables.

It was a little difficult to feed the line through the plastic guide tube, but that was mostly due to the corrosion residue inside the tube. It would be fairly easy to route it through a new tube. I was a little worried about the line chafing on the edge of the rudder arm holes. To prevent this I could have beveled and smoothed the edge of the hole. Too much work for me so I just got a couple of shackles to tie off to. The line is stationary on the shackle so there is no wear on the line. This arrangement has lasted for over two years with no signs of wear.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
RubiconAg
Junior

I might have to do that, the shackles I think are the ticket. A friend even suggested using large swivels. Here is a picture of other side that is starting to fray as well. Again, this was ordered from Malibu and cam pre-tied.