Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge   Kayak Fishing Supplies

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
tstephens3232
Junior
 
tstephens3232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 29
Best Fish Finder

Looking to upgrade. I currently have a raymarine dragonfly and feel like there's something considerably better out there. What's your opinion on the best FF out there today?
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
DDS
Finally landed one
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27
I spent about 20 hours researching this over that past couple of months, but I don't know if we are shopping for the same stuff....
I was coming from a RayMarine WiFish - so even further down the ladder than the dragonfly as I had to use an iPad in a waterproof case as a screen...

I ended up with a RayMarine Axiom and a Airmar Chirp M285HW transducer...probably overkill but I like to shop once and keep it for a long time.

Happy to help with any other questions if I can, I am far from an expert. I used the new rig at the Heroes on the Water event this weekend and while I caught no halibut I felt like I could SEE way better under the water - found bait easily, saw structure, now I just need to learn how to fish better...

BerleyPro is a great resource for fitting various transducers in the hobie mount on the bottom of your yak if you have a hobie
https://www.berleypro.com/product-category/hobie/

Some great background information on fish finders and sounder info in general
http://www.furuno.com/special/en/fishfinder/topic8.html

Some Great discussion of the current crop of finders and all their positives and negatives
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=simrad

Another long article by same Aussie (about 4 posts down) that discusses various sounders and MFDs
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...owrance+garmin

Some fairly detailed info on the technology - bit long - but good late night reading....
https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...explained.html
__________________
2014 Hobie Tandem Island (to fish with the kids)
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (for solo missions)
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
tstephens3232
Junior
 
tstephens3232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 29
Great stuff. Thank you for all the information. Did you look at the Dragonfly's? if you did, did you consider the upgraded transducer? I think it's the CPT 60.
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
jorluivil
Pro-Staff Everything
 
jorluivil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: With Your Ex In Your Ex-Apt
Posts: 6,588
The best fish finder is the one you can afford
__________________


www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
DDS
Finally landed one
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The best fish finder is the one you can afford
True,
but there are multiple fish finder solutions at various price points from the big makers..so if you can afford one you can probably afford enough that you have a choice, and that is when it gets complicated

Simrad/Lowrance/B&G all one company
RayMarine
Humminbird
Garmin

Lowrance seems to dominate our kayak market (and has a good relationship with Hobie). Their current crop of finders has been out almost 3 years though - I hate buying tech that is that old for the same price as it was when it was new.

Lowrance newest stuff is there Hook2 Line
__________________
2014 Hobie Tandem Island (to fish with the kids)
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (for solo missions)

Last edited by DDS; 04-17-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: there to their - hate to get flamed for grammar
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
DDS
Finally landed one
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
Great stuff. Thank you for all the information. Did you look at the Dragonfly's? if you did, did you consider the upgraded transducer? I think it's the CPT 60.
I did look at the dragonfly line, it was good, but I actually wanted a transducer with 3d capability (I sometimes fish lakes as well...plus I'm a tech dork) so I went higher up the line. It will also let me add a second transducer later if I like.

If you want the easiest plug and play solution with the most other people using it so that you can get guidance and tips - I think in the kayak world that is Lowrance.
At the depths we are fishing for Yellowtail and WSB most of the fancy features (3D, Downimaging, HD Downimaging, Side Imagining, yada yada yada) start not working as well. Over 100 ft most of these technologies start to have reduced benefits and they are pretty useless over 150 feet.

I'm just getting used to my new toy so I will have to report back more later if it was worth the additional cost.
__________________
2014 Hobie Tandem Island (to fish with the kids)
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (for solo missions)
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
_Obed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
What did you want feature wise?

Or how do you fish style wise?

Do you hunt or do you set bait and drink and chill?

All these things are questions to ask your self when buying or upgrading. I have a buddy who works for Lowrance in Ensenada and he sums it up like this;
Hummingbird(i had one so he used it as an example a few years ago) has a lot of extra cables and "stuff" (talking about the seperate gps, ducer, and power cable) making it not so kayak friendly. Lowrance is more direct and simpler to set up for the novice marine electronics user. He is actually in this group, look for Baja post. His name is Carlos.

All that bs about features and what does what, 3d?... believe me, after hours of research your gonna end up with a unit that does way more then you need and probably will never use.

And just a heads up. Downscan, side imaging, and fish reveal from Lowrance work great in deep waters. Im on year 3 with my Lowrance unit.



Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
da22y
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
....
....
Im on year 3 with my Lowrance unit.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
What model you use?
My Lowrances ( HDS2, Hook 5, Elite 5ti )in the past never lasted me 3 years.

Water leaked mostly in the SD slot, twice I even put silicone glue shut the access door, it still managed to die...
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
DDS
Finally landed one
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
And just a heads up. Downscan, side imaging, and fish reveal from Lowrance work great in deep waters. Im on year 3 with my Lowrance unit.
Hopefully that is the case. I have only used my RV-100 all in one transducer once and it had good resolution to 130 feet. I will try to take it out this weekend to some deeper depths and see how much clarity it can produce.

If I can take some screen grabs I will.

Thanks for your insight Obed - as I said, I'm not an expert at all, just someone who did a ton of research before making the same plunge as the OP trying to buy what would work best for me.

I do know with the Lowrance if you want 3D structure scan you need a separate transducer and black box computer and still maintain the 50/200 transducer most of us have already. That is why I chose the one I did.

The RayMarine RV-100 has 3D, Down, Side and Chirp all in the one transducer - but it is huge and sticks below the scupper mount about 1-2 inches even with the BerleyPro set up - so it adds a level of complexity with beaching the kayak and loading it up.
__________________
2014 Hobie Tandem Island (to fish with the kids)
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (for solo missions)
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
_Obed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
What model you use?
My Lowrances ( HDS2, Hook 5, Elite 5ti )in the past never lasted me 3 years.

Water leaked mostly in the SD slot, twice I even put silicone glue shut the access door, it still managed to die...
That sucks. Wtf are you doing? Jajaja jk. I have a ti unit. But that sucks honestly wtf are you doing? I fish with people with WAY older units. My first graph i got was a passed down hummingbird i think i got it from danowar yrs ago and its was mega used bnw unit. Worked great for over a year until i upgraded for hype reasons jajaja. Try not dunking them so much or getting splash on it whatever the situation is, that sounds like a shit ass experience. Pretty loyal to stay with the company after all that.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
_Obed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
Hopefully that is the case. I have only used my RV-100 all in one transducer once and it had good resolution to 130 feet. I will try to take it out this weekend to some deeper depths and see how much clarity it can produce.

If I can take some screen grabs I will.

Thanks for your insight Obed - as I said, I'm not an expert at all, just someone who did a ton of research before making the same plunge as the OP trying to buy what would work best for me.

I do know with the Lowrance if you want 3D structure scan you need a separate transducer and black box computer and still maintain the 50/200 transducer most of us have already. That is why I chose the one I did.

The RayMarine RV-100 has 3D, Down, Side and Chirp all in the one transducer - but it is huge and sticks below the scupper mount about 1-2 inches even with the BerleyPro set up - so it adds a level of complexity with beaching the kayak and loading it up.
Yeah man same here. I researched before the buy but time otw is what will teach you to dial in and really weigh out what you actually use over the extras. Evrrything in one ducer sounds pristine but i strayed away from the extra processor. Everything i use is built in so i love the simplicity of the unit. Plug in and play

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
da22y
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
\
....

that sounds like a shit ass experience. Pretty loyal to stay with the company after all that.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Nope ! I switch to Raymarine Dragonfly since .

Doing the exactly same shit I do with FF , but it held up like wearing a bulletproof vest !

Bought from Westmaine, so exchange is no cost, I doubt I will need to buy another FF for a long while ...
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
_Obed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Nope ! I switch to Raymarine Dragonfly since .

Doing the exactly same shit I do with FF , but it held up like wearing a bulletproof vest !

Bought from Westmaine, so exchange is no cost, I doubt I will need to buy another FF for a long while ...
Thats good buddy, lets not get too distracted with the fact the OP has a dragonfly and he is looking for something "better"...

Are you really gonna recommend something he cleary commented he has and is looking to go away from?

Lets keep it more constructive gents. Idc what you use, just leave your rec and move along.. lol.

Thanks for the comment da22y

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
BigTunaL
Senior Member
 
BigTunaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Carlsbad
Posts: 152
I upgraded from a hummingbird 698 to a Lowrance Elite 9ti, few days ago I used it for the first time in mission bay and boy what a difference. I am still learning how to tune settings for best results, but this will come with time on the water. Overall, I am very satisfied with this unit and glad I spent extra $ for the 9" screen. Looking forward to trying it in LJ soon.

By the way, I got a $100 rebate from Lowrance and $50 rebate from Navionics ... these rebates are still available.
__________________

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.