Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
kevbeer

Newbie looking to join up 10/5

Hello. 36 male in rancho bernardo. New to kayaking and haven't fished salt water much but looking to get out this friday (10/5), preferably with some guidance. If I could join up with one or more of you that would be great. I have a coworker I plan to go with eventually but he is busy this friday and I don't want to miss an oppurtunity, especially since I just spent $50 on an annual license and want to get ahead on using it 3+ times. I have a 10 ft. walmart SOT kayak, taken it out on lake once so far. I have also rented Kayak in La Jolla. I mountain bike however my kayak is not pedal one. Might be interested in pedal kayak eventually. I have 12 lb. baitcaster setup and looking to extend collection. I also already have lures, custom crate, PFD, sun protection, tools, lanyards, etc. but looking to pick up anything I am missing.

If not 10/5 maybe some other day this weekend or in future. I have every other friday off.

thanks,
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
jhernandez

Not sure about Friday, but if your ever in the Long Beach San Pedro area let me know, am off every Friday and usually fish in the mornings
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
kevbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhernandez View Post
Not sure about Friday, but if your ever in the Long Beach San Pedro area let me know, am off every Friday and usually fish in the mornings
thanks but trying to stay local.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
Semper Fi-shing

Be prepared to dunk if you have a walmart 10ft yak. Water proof your phone, keys, wallet, and secure everything you dont want to lose in case you dunk.

And I cant stress this enough, but always wear your PFD out on the water.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
kevbeer

will do. I am thinking sd bay fri 530. I was foolishly considering La Jolla this early on but have since reconsidered.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Going to be a group next weekend. I’m still working on making it

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=33416
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

IMO 10 ft kayak is too small for open ocean.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
kevbeer

forgive me for asking questions already forum'd elsewhere.

-what are top 3 causes of a "dunk" in 10 ft kayak?
-do dunks still happen with larger kayak?
-is adding side stabilizers a decent idea?

I am just getting into the hobby and it is a bit premature for me to consider larger, expensive kayak. If that means I should stay out of open ocean so be it. But if there is a way to make my 10 ft kayak more capable and get in there with minimal safety risk, I would like to wet my appetite with open ocean.

Of course I am already looking at new and used pedal kayaks 11+ ft...but not seriously. I must say hobie 14 ft pro angler is like a freaking ship...could get tired pacing that deck!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
GTboosted

The main cause is stability.

Most Walmart kayaks are not designed with open ocean swells in mind. Is your kayak a sit on top or sit inside?

Did you buy it new? If so i would return it and buy a used kayak from craigslist. If budget is an issue, a used malibu, wilderness systems, or ocean kayak will be way better suited to go out. You dont need a Hobie to have fun but you do need a well designed kayak.

If you go out in the Walmart kayak you might flip and get discouraged with our wonderful hobby.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
kevbeer

really appreciate the feedback, guys.

it is a sit on top type, lifetime tamarack 100, bought new on sale. It is not going back. Thanks for idea though, I understand your thought. I have already taken it out on a lake and I have a moral issue with returning stuff after use. Furthermore, if I buy a more substantial kayak, I would keep it as a secondary for my wife and son to accompany me on in the future.

No doubt a large enough swell/wake would send me over in this kayak. I also worry about catching too large a fish too early on in my kayak fishing career and not knowing how to counter balance those loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1.JPG (98.3 KB, 253 views)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Semper Fi-shing

You shouldnt worry about returning stuff that is not safe for you to use the way u intend to use it. They either accept your return or they dont. Their choice. What you return at one place, you buy at same place or another place.

Most people dunk on the way in or out in the surf, from what I witnessed. Especially people that surf their yaks all the way in and dont jump out when it gets waist deep.

Also watch out for cross chop....waves that hit you on the side versus from the front.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
Hunters Pa

Whatever you can place inside your kayak instead of on top will lower your center of gravity, increasing primary stability. That said, be VERY careful opening as it is also an avenue for water to get inside if you get swamped when access is not secured.

Could you do open water in that? Sure.

You could also drive to New York in a Smart Car. You can take more equipment and would be a lot more comfortable and safer in a SUV, but you could do it.

I have a 10 footer that I use when I can only get away for an hour or two after work and am going to hit the harbor with 1, maybe 2 rods and a single tray of artificials. It works great for that and can easily be transported on my Civic.

It's all a tradeoff. If that is what you have then use it. Get used to the feel of where you tip. If you want to try open water, do it without fishing gear first. If you don't feel comfortable in open water then stay in protected areas for now
Old 10-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
kevbeer

good stuff guys.

would you say a native slayer propel 10 is quite adequate for open water? or just barely cutting it?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Saba Slayer

confidence

Kevbeer...Use the kayak you have and get some confidence in your kayaking abilities by launching and fishing in one of the many bays or harbors that we have available in the northern part of So Cal...Cabrillo...Long Beach...King Harbor....MDR...Dana Point...Newport...Huntington Harbor.
There are some nice fish to be caught in most of these inshore areas and it's a great place to hone your skills and your kayak rigging...and learn to use the fish finder that you'll eventually buy.
If it's a flat day with no wind and you feel good about your abilities after a couple of trips you just might venture outside the bay or harbor and get a feel for the swell and current "on the outside".
Check out the other kayaks next time Andy has another demo day at OEX... and when the Fred Hall Show comes around in March...come on down to the lagoon at Long Beach and try out one of the Hobies.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #15
kevbeer

I will look into those events, thanks

My question remains, is the (10 ft) Native Slayer Propel 10 (pedal kayak) considered open ocean worthy? Or barely capable? Seems substantially wider and beefier than my 10 ft cheapo kayak.

guys--I am really listening to all the input, please don't mark me an ignorant dummy. I have been your shoes in the mountain bike forums, where some new guy comes in asking about expensive carbon fiber full suspension bikes before he has even been on a single trail ride. That being said, don't be offended if I continue to ask dumb questions.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
I will look into those events, thanks

My question remains, is the (10 ft) Native Slayer Propel 10 (pedal kayak) considered open ocean worthy? Or barely capable? Seems substantially wider and beefier than my 10 ft cheapo kayak.

guys--I am really listening to all the input, please don't mark me an ignorant dummy. I have been your shoes in the mountain bike forums, where some new guy comes in asking about expensive carbon fiber full suspension bikes before he has even been on a single trail ride. That being said, don't be offended if I continue to ask dumb questions.
You are asking solid questions. There are plenty of smarta$$es here (not saying anything about anyone in particular) that will give you crap, but we were all there, getting our first kayak and starting out.

It is likely open ocean worthy, if you develop the time on the water and skills to make it so and are reasonable about your expectations. Don't load it down like you would a PA14, don't go out in iffy conditions. Don't expect to keep up with something longer and sleeker.

If it gets you on the water then use it. But check out different models before buying your next one. If you plan on keeping this then get something that meets needs that this one does not.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
Aznronin

If you plan on fishing the ocean as a beginner I would recommend a kayak no shorter than12/13 feet long and at least 30” wide. Also I would make sure you go out during calm conditions so make sure you familiarize yourself with being able to research and read the forecast. Get familiar with sites like magicseaweed and Surfline and take the minimal amount of gear when you first start out. As far as flipping your kayak in the ocean, just make sure you stay relaxed and keep your weight in your butt and don’t do things like look over your shoulder until your more experienced because if you look behind you, you will probably flip over. Good luck.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
goldenglory18

Great advice so far. Since you already have a boat, I'll skip over some of my typical lecture and jump the "what boat to buy" part....

My suggestion #1 is to spend good money on a comfortable PFD. If its not comfortable dry, you'll never wear it on the water. If you get used to wearing it now, it will become second nature (I almost feel uncomfortable in the water now without it.)

Suggestion #2 is to learn your boat without your gear on it. Find the tipping points, figure out how to board in open water if you fall off or turtle (flip) the vessel. Play around in the surf if you have the time/space (tell the lifeguard present that you will be doing this.) It's best to figure these things out BEFORE you load up your precious gear and then donate a bunch of plastic and carbon to the sea....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
kevbeer

sd bay went well. caught 10 inch spotty. no troubles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181005_105953.jpg (65.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_082204.jpg (40.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_085134.jpg (19.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #20
kevbeer

Ok guys, moving on here. I am looking to kayak fish La Jolla in the next couple weeks with a somewhat experienced friend/coworker. I am in need of a more substantial pole to fish the kelp beds. He has recommended okuma PCH 8 ft. 20-50 lb rod with penn squall levelwind 20 reel. I would use 30 lb mono on this for starters I believe. A couple questions.

Do you think 7 ft. ok for most kayak fishing? This fits more manageably in my car.

Is it better to have star or lever drag on this type of setup/fishing on a kayak?

I am thinking to minimize $$$ and get either Penn Rival Levelwind combo ($80!!) or Penn Squal Levelwind Combo (~$160). If the interest sticks I would upgrade and let my son use these reduced cost setups. Do you think they are good enough? Is okuma rod really worth the dough? I saw it in turners outdoorsman earlier and it is very nice with carbon fiber showing however I am all about function not aesthetics.

thanks as always