Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #41
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
well im apart of a new family now!! !!
Congrats, on buying a hobie but that was the easy part, now you gotta rig it.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #42
Iebadboy

Talking

Already done!! upgraded to turbo Finns, rudder, got the hobie bait tank already have my brand new hummingbird 597ci with DI, and two custom rod mount extensions.. Set and ready to go
Iebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iebadboy View Post
Already done!! upgraded to turbo Finns, rudder, got the hobie bait tank already have my brand new hummingbird 597ci with DI, and two custom rod mount extensions.. Set and ready to go
Sounds like you are all set good luck hopefully will get out sometime
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #44
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Most of the comments posted above are valid and reasonable. IMO, the most valuable feature of the Hobie system is the "hands free" factor. You can go where you want to go while still keeping your hand on your rod making it possible to instantly respond to whatever is on the other end of the line.

If this is important to you, then Hobie is the way to go.

That said, many of us are regularly out-fished by folks with better skills on other platforms.

Bob
This has been an interesting thread for sure... and the debate continues... but, I have a question for all of you Hobie mirage drive users...

I water tested a Hobie Outback before I made a decision not to go with a Hobie mirage drive system... and this is why... My experience while testing this kayak was that while underway, feet in stirrups and pedaling away... I felt like I almost needed to grab the sides of the kayak seat to get the proper leverage while pedaling. I tried to pedal without grabbing the bars on the sides of the seat (I think there were some sort of bars or handles there, can't remember exactly) but anyway... I wasn't comfortable being totally hands free while pedaling. I felt as if my feet were positioned too high in the air. Now I'm about 5' 8" tall and have somewhat short legs (28" inseam) but still felt as though this shouldn't have been an issue for me. The guys at the kayak place didn't offer any solutions or suggestions when I explained that I felt like I kept wanting to hold on at the side of the seat while paddling... so I just figured that that is the way it is with a Hobie Mirage Drive... and my conclusion at that point was... "What's the point of pedaling if you can't comfortably free up your hands - I mean, isn't that the whole point of the mirage drive?" I wanted a yak that I could fish from more than anything else. Needless to say, I was kinda bummed that it didn't work out for me with the Hobie. Although, my eye was always on the Stealth series from the get-go too, but really wanted to give the Hobie a fair try.

That being said, it wasn't until recently that I heard one Hobie user tell me that all I needed to do was raise the seat up some, and I would have been fine. Hmmm, nobody ever suggested that to me before, not even the owner of the kayak outfitter who was pushing me to buy the same boat he had, the Hobie Outback. I am happy with what I ended up with however, and I purchased a killer Stealth 14 from OEX in Mission Bay from CJ, who helped me rig it just the way I wanted it, complete with a Bassyaks motor & lift kit.

But I do wonder if any of you Hobie users have ever experienced what I did, and the urge or need to want to grab the side of the seat to get leverage while pedaling... or have any of you heard of this, and/or remedied it by raising your seat?

I'm just curious is all. The one thing I DO really like about my Stealth is that I can get into very skinny water without worrying about the mirage drive fins... where I live out here in New York (Long Island's North shore) there is plenty of flats and estuaries to fish from that hold large striped bass feeding on small baitfish, sand eels, grass shrimp, etc. and this yak will be easy to get in skinny water where other boats cannot.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences with using your Hobies and what you encountered with leverage and pedaling.

Tight lines!

- Ken
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #45
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco View Post
This has been an interesting thread for sure... and the debate continues... but, I have a question for all of you Hobie mirage drive users...

I water tested a Hobie Outback before I made a decision not to go with a Hobie mirage drive system... and this is why... My experience while testing this kayak was that while underway, feet in stirrups and pedaling away... I felt like I almost needed to grab the sides of the kayak seat to get the proper leverage while pedaling.

I think this might be a natural human reaction.....I experienced the same thing but only on my first kayak, never with my Outback. The minute your body goes sideways for a split second your first reaction is to hold onto something ......its what we all do regardless of whether we're sitting, standing, walking or running and we start to fall.

I'm thinking that the only reason you don't feel the same way in your Stealth is because your hands are holding onto something(paddle), your mind is telling you its OK because your hands aren't free. If you paddled as fast as possible, drop your paddle and a wake came your way what would be your first reaction? I'm betting the farm that your first reaction would be to grab onto something. Do the same thing but don't lay the paddle down and I guarantee you your first reaction will not be to hold on....why? because you can't.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-08-2012 at 07:04 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #46
PapaDave

^ what he said ^

While I have a Pro Angler, and it is very stable, I still find myself holding onto the rail when I am peddling. I don't do that when I am fishing though. As for the seat and peddles, the peddles are adjustable and on my PA I raised the seat up about an inch, initially not for comfort though. My hands are large and they kept getting stuck between the seat and the hull whenever I tried to retreive something that fell down there.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #47
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I think this might be a natural human reaction.... The minute your body goes sideways for a split second your first reaction is to hold onto something...

I'm thinking that the only reason you don't feel the same way in your Stealth is because your hands are holding onto something(paddle), your mind is telling you its OK because your hands aren't free. If you peddled as fast as possible, drop your paddle and a wake came your way what would be your first reaction? I'm betting the farm that your first reaction would be to grab onto something. Do the same thing but don't lay the paddle down and I guarantee you your first reaction will not be to hold on....why? because you can't.
I do see your point... somewhat... but I'm not convinced my experience was this at all.

First of all, the Outback I water tested was rigged with a Torqueedo Trolling motor... and initially, I tried out the yak with just using the power of the motor. Then I went back to the dock, and asked that they put the mirage drive in, cause I wanted to test the yak just using the mirage drive as well. Upon first putting my feet in the stirrups on the pedals, I immediately realized that my feet were positioned much higher in the air than what I would have expected... in fact, it seemed to me too high. I don't feel that I had the urge to grab onto something because I felt unstable... the Outback felt like a very stable platform to me... it was instead almost as though by grabbing onto something it was giving me better leverage because I felt my legs were angled too high in the air... it was strange and not comfortable. I will say, that when I pedaled hard, that Outback really moved at a nice clip! But never felt like I could pedal comfortably while leaving my hands free... perhaps the pedals being so high is just the design of the mirage drive, and it just takes some getting used to... but initially, I wasn't diggin' it.

Has anyone ever heard of mirage drive users raising their seats to combat the angle of the pedals being so high... or was it just me?

As far as my Stealth... my hands aren't always on a paddle at all... remember... I have a Bassyaks motor installed on my Stealth... so yes, I do paddle sometimes... but certainly not always... and my hands are free and I don't necessarily feel like I always have to grab onto something if I take on a wake.

Not saying you don't have a point, just don't think in my case of what I experienced that was the reason I had the urge to grab a hold of something using the mirage drive. Do your feet feel like they are angled too high in your Hobie? I'm curious is all...

Thanks for your feedback...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #48
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDCh View Post
While I have a Pro Angler, and it is very stable, I still find myself holding onto the rail when I am peddling. I don't do that when I am fishing though. As for the seat and peddles, the peddles are adjustable and on my PA I raised the seat up about an inch, initially not for comfort though. My hands are large and they kept getting stuck between the seat and the hull whenever I tried to retreive something that fell down there.
Hmm... interesting that you mention that your pedals are "adjustable"...

Does that mean in height or in the distance (length) between the pedals and the foot of the kayaker? If it is in the height, that would explain why I felt like they were too high in the air for me.

If they were adjustable on the 2011 Outback like the one I was testing, then shame on the owner of the store for not bringing the "adjustment option" to my attention - as he just lost a sale and a customer! I won't mention any names, but suffice it to say, he's basically the only major fishing kayak dealer on Long Island here in NY.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #49
PapaDave

Quote:
Hmm... interesting that you mention that your pedals are "adjustable"...

Does that mean in height or in the distance (length) between the pedals and the foot of the kayaker? If it is in the height, that would explain why I felt like they were too high in the air for me.

If they were adjustable on the 2011 Outback like the one I was testing, then shame on the owner of the store for not bringing the "adjustment option" to my attention - as he just lost a sale and a customer! I won't mention any names, but suffice it to say, he's basically the only major fishing kayak dealer on Long Island here in NY.
The peddles are adjustable in the X direction but that inadvertantly affects the Y as well. After raising the seat in the PA I noticed it was much more comfortable and easier to peddle. Note that I am refering to a Hobie Pro Angler and not an Outback. The PA has a regular seat in it.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #50
Podaker

you should have had a rod in one hand and a beer in the other
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #51
Mr Fishback

The Outback has two sets of holes to choose from when attaching the seat. You can play around with those to see how they affect your posture. The seat straps can also be adjusted for comfort.

I have a friend who uses an inflatable seat cushion when he goes out in his Outback, but I don't think it elevates him all that much. Aside from that there isn't a built in way of raising the seat. All you have is what PapaDCh said, peddles have a length adjustment.
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #52
WahooUSMA

Had 'em all - Malibu, Tarpon, Ocean Kayak (inc the torque), multiple Hobies - revos - had 3 of them, PA - 2 of 'em, and 1 big waste of money Hobie Adventure Islander that I thought I could fish off of. Now I paddle a 30ft SeaRay, which by the way I damn near had to paddle home from Catalina on Saturday due to bad gas in Avalon.

Seriously, get a Hobie - Sorry paddler's. But when the wind kicks up or you have long distances to travel or need both hands, NOTHING beats a Hobie, especially a PA.

I will be in the market again for a yak, but I do not have space on the boat for a PA, so I'll be checkin' the 'for sale' section on BWE for a used Revo shortly. Hey Echo467 (Eric), you still thinking about selling my old Revo?

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #53
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Had 'em all - Malibu, Tarpon, Ocean Kayak (inc the torque), multiple Hobies - revos - had 3 of them, PA - 2 of 'em, and 1 big waste of money Hobie Adventure Islander that I thought I could fish off of. Now I paddle a 30ft SeaRay, which by the way I damn near had to paddle home from Catalina on Saturday due to bad gas in Avalon.

Seriously, get a Hobie - Sorry paddler's. But when the wind kicks up or you have long distances to travel or need both hands, NOTHING beats a Hobie, especially a PA.

I will be in the market again for a yak, but I do not have space on the boat for a PA, so I'll be checkin' the 'for sale' section on BWE for a used Revo shortly. Hey Echo467 (Eric), you still thinking about selling my old Revo?
WOW!! you are a pioneer of kayaks!!! That is an impressive inventory!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #54
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podaker View Post
you should have had a rod in one hand and a beer in the other
Hobie offers a Run and Gun service plan that will tow you to breaking fish.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #55
Drake

Quote:

I water tested a Hobie Outback before I made a decision not to go with a Hobie mirage drive system... and this is why... My experience while testing this kayak was that while underway, feet in stirrups and pedaling away... I felt like I almost needed to grab the sides of the kayak seat to get the proper leverage while pedaling. I tried to pedal without grabbing the bars on the sides of the seat (I think there were some sort of bars or handles there, can't remember exactly) but anyway... I wasn't comfortable being totally hands free while pedaling.
- Ken
I ride my PA with a beer in one hand, and the other on the rudder. No need to hold the bars.