Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
matthew7!

06/05 La Jolla short trip

Fished 0515-1130 took off looking for bait only found one mackerel ether I was missing the schools or just couldn’t really find any. wind was calm initially with short amounts of rain. Drifted my mackerel on a three way swivel with 6oz weight starting in 70’ drifting to 100’ wind was pushing me NW later turning to NE. Dropped a double dropper down while drifting to pull up a dozen whitefish a couple bass and a couple sheephead. Did the drift a couple times. Around 1015ish the wind picked up and stayed consistent, overcast all morning. Didn’t see any birds working deep but visibility was limited.

SEMPER fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
FISH11

Had the same luck yesterday. Got there in the dark and lots of kayaks setting up in the beach. launch to next to no surf and light wind as predicted but the skies never cleared.It lightly sprinkled at times and then the wind started blowing earlier and stronger then forecast. Most kayakers I talked to had the same luck 1 mackerel for bait and some never got one. I trolled my mac until leaving early around 1pm. I stopped trying for bottom fish on the bottom bait marks using a Colt Sniper cause I got tired of having to use the decender on tini rock fish. I saw the forecast was worse in regards to wind for today and getting worse with surf for the weekend and beyond. That wind driver chop gets tiresome because it's hard to maintain any position and your spend most of the time getting to a spot to drift. Hoping for better wind forecasts.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I was partnered with Mark, (Fish11) yesterday and have to say that his description of the day was a rosy one compared to my memory. The wind, the mist, the chop, the lack of seeing any living thing except for the occasional sea lion or a flock of circling Albatross, (they were pretty cool actually), the day was a major disappointment.

My survey of fishers on the beach found only two who had hooked up, both with a single small green back. They were both unmarked at the end of the day. As for me, not being able to even catch a single piece of bait ranks as the ultimate skunk. Maybe next time.

The only plus was that on this day there more yakfishers on the water than any time in my recent memory. Fishing is better and safer when there are lots of yaks are on the water.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
matthew7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I was partnered with Mark, (Fish11) yesterday and have to say that his description of the day was a rosy one compared to my memory. The wind, the mist, the chop, the lack of seeing any living thing except for the occasional sea lion or a flock of circling Albatross, (they were pretty cool actually), the day was a major disappointment.

My survey of fishers on the beach found only two who had hooked up, both with a single small green back. They were both unmarked at the end of the day. As for me, not being able to even catch a single piece of bait ranks as the ultimate skunk. Maybe next time.

The only plus was that on this day there more yakfishers on the water than any time in my recent memory. Fishing is better and safer when there are lots of yaks are on the water.

Bob

That’s was definitely today also there was a dozen or so yak fishermen on the water and maybe two or three boats that’s I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
OneDropWS
Junior

Bob, I was there same place, same time, and same story.
OneDropWS is offline   Reply With Quote