Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I just go in reverse all day

*** Results may differ based on your Transducer ***
*** I have a Lowrance ***

Based on the techies over at Lowrance, the transducer I have is strictly 2D. It does not matter if I put it in as you would mount a Transom mount (facing to the back), or 180 degrees (backwards). As long as it is parallel to the bottom and sides, and you are shooting straight down, you will get a good picture and arches.

Thats what I thought, maybe the "front" is the front just because of the shape, to cut through the water when mounted on the transom?
I guess with side imagining it may make a difference? right is left?

On my trident I put it in as directed by Humminbird (front facing front)
even though the knuckle heads at Ocean Kayak made the indention for the through supper backwards...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Thats what I thought, maybe the "front" is the front just because of the shape, to cut through the water when mounted on the transom?
Yes, at least in the case of my Lowrance transom mount.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Caffeind

Regor, which Hobie are you on?
...and did you have to shape that terminal box at all to seal or does your yak have a nice flat spot it fits?
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Regor, which Hobie are you on?
...and did you have to shape that terminal box at all to seal or does your yak have a nice flat spot it fits?
It's a Revo.

One of the reasons I installed the ducer as far back as possible (under the sail mast) is that it is somewhat flat there. I still had to do a little sanding on the sides of the terminal box, but none on the front or back of the box. The farther you move towards the front of the Revo, the hull gets steeper and steeper and requires more and more sanding to fit.

IF I had a smaller ducer (other than the Lowrance), a smaller terminal box would probably have fit even further back under the sail mast, but the Lowrance is too big.

BTW - I also did two sessions of goop. The second one was one day later, and it was just to make sure to fill in any possible air pockets that may have formed from the 1st goop session. The reason I did this - when I pulled my old Eagle ducer out of the direct goop to hull, I was shocked at the LARGE air pocket that had been riding under my ducer for the last year !

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
kobra

One way to avoid air bubbles is to put your tube of goop into a container of hot water for a few minutes. This thins the goop out allowing trapped air to escape. This method works best when using a foam retainer to hold the tranny.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
I guess with side imagining it may make a difference? right is left?

On my trident I put it in as directed by Humminbird (front facing front)
even though the knuckle heads at Ocean Kayak made the indention for the through supper backwards...

Bellcon - How much is your transducer sticking out, below the hull? I did the same with a Garmin on my OK.
I tried to minimize how far it sticks out, but it still does about 1/3" or so. Seems ok when dragging across the sand since the bow is lifted up, and when resting on the sand the shape of the hull prevents any pressure up against the transducer.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
tagyak

inova microlight LED Wand

it is starting to get to that time of year where lots of us go out fishing late at night or o'dark early morning. trying to keep myself safe and more visible i thought that i would add a flag to my ride.

i went to home depot and found a fiberglass stick about 5/16 in size, that had a reflector attached to the top, it's about three feet in length. i think the original use for this was to line them along your drive way so that it would help illuminate the path for you. so i added some reflective tape to the pole and also added a flag, (thanks george for that vitamin water bag).

the next thing i wanted to do is illuminate the pole using some type of light. went to bass pro shop, but i am sure other stores have this type of light. (just wanted to use my gift cert that i got for my birthday.) roamed around the store looking at all the different type of lights that were available. finally found this LED Wand. i liked it because it is waterproof and also submersible. also the light is able to be used with a high beam, low beam and also strobe setting. i was a bit concerned that the light would turn itself off after 30 mins like that other types of wand lights out there but it has not so far.

what i did to attach this to my flag pole was to use some clips that i had gotten when i had purchased a light rope. the light rope for those who aren't familiar are the outdoor lights that you can buy at the home gardening section at your local target or walmart stores. i am not sure if they come with all the light ropes. the one that i had gotten was designed to hang from the outdoor umbrella so that's why it had these clips.

i attached the clips to the wand and used goop to glue it. after that just snapped the other side to the flag pole and it worked perfectly. i may add a clip to the wand and then to the pole just in case it gets knocked off.

hope that this is informative and useful to others. keep safe out there and good hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0423.jpg (37.1 KB, 1815 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0421.jpg (35.8 KB, 1809 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0422.jpg (26.5 KB, 1808 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0428.jpg (31.6 KB, 1816 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0429.jpg (27.9 KB, 1808 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0425.jpg (42.1 KB, 1809 views)
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

Nice Tim.

Now you just have to go fishing!

Those little clips deteriorate very quickly in sun exposure and become brittle after a season or two, I had some in my back yard.

See out there this weekend.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
tagyak

thanks matt. but for me i probably won't have the problem of brittle clips. i really don't get out very often and when i do, i would not be bring this out with me unless it is a night or early morning launch. so with that it should be okay regards to the uv rays.

Last edited by tagyak; 04-24-2012 at 03:38 PM.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Papa drew
Junior

portable fish finder

I am working on this right now. I could not upload the image but here is the web link.

I made this portable fish finder to be mounted on and Scotty base as soon as I figure out how to make the folding arms for the transducer I will post more pictures. I have it running on a 12v 7 amp hour battery. The unit turns on and runs have not tested it the ocean yet. I will this sat in NPH.

http://img851.imageshack.us/i/imagebdp.jpg/

Papa drew
Papa drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
jorluivil

Bungee Cord/Leash keeper Thingy

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas