Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
Cbad Mike

Fishing has been pretty dam good for a while and ALOT of guys easily or luckily catch.
When I started it wasn't as good as now and it took me atleast 30 times out in Lj before my first yt.
Just keep at it you'll get one soon.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #22
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
aka a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other.

Never heard that before

I like that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #23
Iceman
Administrator

The more 0s you accumulate on your scorecard, the more likely something REALLY good will happen...........next time.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
WARRIORMIKE

It's all a numbers game. Remember Babe Ruth struck out too
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #25
scotty1369

took me at least 10 trips before I got a yellow tail. I thought of it as putting my work in. i had to learn from the veterans, and get a feel for everything. Experience is key.
scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #26
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

dude, I had over $6k invested and lost about $500 worth of stuff and about 6 months on the water (3-4 days a week) before I landed my first Kayak YT.

you guys are spoiled this year. just wait till 2017.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #27
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
lost about $500 worth of stuff

you guys are spoiled this year. just wait till 2017.
Hahaha! The first year I got in...the waves seemed to always be 2-3' at LJ Shores. I called myself "The Roller". Once that pattern kicks back in, the die-hards will be able to buy good gear for reduced prices, lol.

Chris-man...ever since you left this area, the nighttime waters have been empty of others...I need a co-pilot pretty bad. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #28
Gr8fuldude

While some enjoy the process of doing it themselves, I didn't want to spend all Summer learning to fish (especially this year). And living four hrs from LaJolla it's not like I get to go everyday or week. So after getting skunked my first weekend out (when the rains blew out the launch), I hired a guide last Saturday and put two nice yellowtail tuna (I know, I know) in the yak. To each his own, but I figured with all the money I had already invested, what's another $200 to seal the deal. Now I have half a clue what I'm doing and can't wait to go back and apply all the newfound knowledge. Lot's of paths up the mountain, hiring a guide was my path and I've no regrets.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #29
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Chris-man...ever since you left this area, the nighttime waters have been empty of others...I need a co-pilot pretty bad. Jim
two guys sink in the middle of the night (bait tank malfunctions lol) and everyone quits....

snatch up the OP and do a pre midnight launch. make bait and get some tuna!!!! go find the cows. you have all weekend to paddle.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #30
Phikayaks
Junior

Its alright bro, im in the same boat as you, or should i say kayak.... haven't caught anything either, tried multiple times. But keep it positive your doing alot better than me with ur setup and catching bait.
Phikayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #31
Ohiostreetz

Update LJ 08/23/15

Went out bait was tough as usual but after about an hour or so ended up bringing in a few nice green backs and a couple spanish and off I went I told myself I wouldn't start trolling til I hit the corner but saw some marks on the tv and said why not so I dropped a flyline and off I went.

I wanted to hit the corner and head out to some deeper water. Right at the corner I hooked up and lost him after about 5 mins hook still on so that had me pumped. Threw out another and started heading west think I didn't have a big enough hook because I hooked again and ran for a while when I went to set the hook bam i felt it just slip right out.

I'm getting closer and closer my time is coming lol. My tan though is on point lol
Ohiostreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #32
captnblood34

Nice Shaun! We will get one either this weekend or early nest week. At least time will be on our side, so it's just finding them.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #33
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiostreetz View Post
Update LJ 08/23/15

Went out bait was tough as usual but after about an hour or so ended up bringing in a few nice green backs and a couple spanish and off I went I told myself I wouldn't start trolling til I hit the corner but saw some marks on the tv and said why not so I dropped a flyline and off I went.

I wanted to hit the corner and head out to some deeper water. Right at the corner I hooked up and lost him after about 5 mins hook still on so that had me pumped. Threw out another and started heading west think I didn't have a big enough hook because I hooked again and ran for a while when I went to set the hook bam i felt it just slip right out.

I'm getting closer and closer my time is coming lol. My tan though is on point lol
What size hook? Im thinking of going this weekend, let me know if your down!..and I use the 3/0 ringed hooks Mustad or Owner. But you are getting there and that first up is what kept me going..i just let them run for about 8-10 seconds letting them get the fish down then just engage the reel..i don't do the jerk setting the hook and it has worked. CONGRATS though your getting there!