Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
fishes

Penn 500 Conversion

I want to convert my Penn 500 to a 501. I was inspired this auction on eBay http://bit.ly/9mXFyb (hope the link still works). What I want to know is, where, locally, can I get the parts to do this? I figure the conversion will cost me more than buying a new/better reel but I want to do it for the learning experience as well as a little project to get familiar with these do-it-yourself types of reels.

Also, I recently got into the sport and bought a Sealine-X 50SHA and after reading some posts it seems that I should have gone with 40 and the lower gear ratio. As it turns out, my return period on the reel is up and I want to know if there are any concerns before I take this out, that way I can sell it and get the 40 everyone is raving about.

Probably should be two threads, I know.

If the above link doesn't work here are the specs -

Penn Jigmaster 500 converted to 501 (narrow) size with Tiburon frame
-Tiburon Lite handle
-Newell 5:1 stainless gears
-Newell drag improvement kit
-Newell LC-1 long cast bearings
-Aluminum clamp
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
T Bone

Penn upgrades are a little antiquated now.I mean this is what got Accurate and Tiburon going(Even Newell for that matter)but they both make their own reels themselves now.The reel you end up with wont be worth what you pay for it but thats your call.Accurate is in Corona CA and they have lots of distributors locally but the parts you want will have to be ordered most likely.If you want to hotrod a reel you can upgrade the drag washers and add ceramic bearings.That goes a long ways.I am thinking about doing that to a few reels myself.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
TCS

Squidco has the kit, and apparently its pretty easy to do. I think it was around $40 or $50. I was thinking about doing it too, but decided to get the Sealine instead. Much better drags in the sealine.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
herbo

On ebay under penn jigmaster reel parts, there is a seller by the name of jambythesea. He sells a lot of conversion parts and upgrades. A Tiburon frame could be purchased from charkbait....good luck.....H
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
PescadorPete

That guy probably has $200 in upgrades in a $60 reel. If you really want a narrow 501, the Penn kit is $65. My favorite narrow 501 is a Progear 255.

I have several out of date reels I have upgraded. They are still fun to drive.

I once had a Sealine 50 but it is too wide when winding jigs, it is out of balance and wobbles and doesn't have enought torque on a big fish. I bought the 40HA (4.9:1) and have landed lots of iron and bait fish with it.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
That guy probably has $200 in upgrades in a $60 reel. If you really want a narrow 501, the Penn kit is $65.
Or better yet $200 in parts in a reel that sold on ebay for $100.

The tib-lite handle alone is forty bucks.

I mean if you want to go the nostalgic route it's OK but for the buck your better off buying a narrow Saltist 30T, if your fishing spectra. You'll be amazed at the torque and power of that reel.

I grew up using Penns and bought my first jigmaster in 1974, that said they are way behind these newer reels in performance even when upgraded. I still fish Penn 525mags for casting Iron, Penn slammers for spinning, and internationals offshore, but in that size of conventional reel you can't beat the saltists.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote