Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
forefrazier

First Mods

Small, simple mods

Front position rod holders. Thought about this one for a while not wanting to drill holes in the yak and trying to make use of the existing screws already there since I don't plan on converting to an AI anytime soon. Seems the Ram Space Saver mount has just about the same dimension as the screw holes. 5 minutes of Dremel work and they fit perfect:

Added fourth and fifth rod holders to Hobie tank. Not because I want to carry more rods but mostly so I have extra options to place a gaff, bat, etc.

Also, in my opinion a second set of straps on the rear part of the Hobie tank is a necessity. Helps to keep it stable and less risk of it falling off in the event of a roll over. Ordered another strap kit from Hobie (thanks Andy) and installed under the existing bungie posts for the battery lid. Looks factory and no additional holes:

That's all for now...F/F is next. Have some ideas on doing something a bit creative with this also...To be continued....

Steve
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
bellcon

Nice
very nice
(taking notes)

I like the upgraded paddle...
is that for when you want to be a "real" kayaker?
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
davedkins
Junior

Great mods, I really like your idea of adding the extra straps to the livewell.

I'm at the same point with my outback and was wondering what your FF idea's were.

I have a sail mount Ram wedge and a humminbird FF. Im trying to figure out how to run the transducer and Battery cables with out drilling my baby.

Any ideas?
davedkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
ccoral

Send a message via AIM to ccoral
what model hobie is that I am looking for another kayak, for LJ and places where travel is neccessary fishing a stealth 14 now that I do like but it is a lot slower than my old prowler.
FYI modes look great but a bit worried launching in waves with all the rod holders sticking out as I live in ventura county and go out days not uncommon to launch in waves.
ccoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Nice pipes! Are you sure it floats?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Billy V

Those Ram Tube Mounts are sometimes subjected to a fair amount of torque. For that reason I used the full size 2" x 3" ball mount, with good SS bolts and SS washers and lock nuts behind them. They are also sealed on there with thin layer of marine goop.

Its seriously strong and multi purpose. (The ruler depicts actual measurements need to mount a ram ball on the starboard side. Its needed to clearance the molded in pad eye)

--------------------------
Also - Take note how I passed the Fish Finder wire through the kayak. If you unscrew the T fitting up forward, you can drill a hole just big enough to pass the transducer and power cable through.
-I use a $2.69 grommet- and sliced 1 end so I could place it around the wires to seal. From there it is a tapered push fit with some marine goop and - Presto you finished.
If you ever want to remove all evidence of it you remove the grommet and replace the T fitting.

I used a waterproof box from Walmart $5 and a $1.69 battery holder from Radio Shack to hold 8 AA batteries. It would last for 3 fishing trips if I wanted, but I recharged it anyway. It is affixed to the hull with 2" heavy duty velcro from ACE hardware. It never moved unless I wanted it to move.

Last edited by Billy V; 01-28-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
forefrazier

Cool..Thanks Billy. I like your examples...I figure that the front rod holders will really only be used for the smaller fish in bays, freshwater, etc. If I am trolling for YT or other in LJ, I will most likely just use the molded in rod holders with extenders. I like your F/F wire pass through. Same as what I did with my old Adventure....
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Nice pipes! Are you sure it floats?

Don't know yet but I like to think of it more like a Hilborn direct injection stack than an organ

Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoral View Post
what model hobie is that I am looking for another kayak, for LJ and places where travel is neccessary fishing a stealth 14 now that I do like but it is a lot slower than my old prowler.
FYI modes look great but a bit worried launching in waves with all the rod holders sticking out as I live in ventura county and go out days not uncommon to launch in waves.
Hobie Adventure.....

Why worry about a few rod holders during a surf launch? Just make sure they are not all holding rods with treble hooks hanging from them and you will be just fine!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
fongman

I found a different use for those wellnuts on my Adventure. They are used to secure a polycarbonate shelf which I mounted a Hummingbird fishfinder. Since the connectors are relatively small, I was able to feed the wires up through the mast post. A rubber beaker stopper was drilled and slotted to hold the cables, then pushed down the mast to seal it.

This worked fine until the FF crapped out. The replacement Garmin has such a large connector, I had to pass the cables through a large cable clam. I am now thinking the mast post will be a good place to put a light pole for night fishing.

One of the advantages of having the shelf is that you can experiment with mounting different accessories. Drilling new holes into the shelf for the different FF mount was no big deal since I wasn't drilling into the kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Those Ram Tube Mounts are sometimes subjected to a fair amount of torque. For that reason I used the full size 2" x 3" ball mount, with good SS bolts and SS washers and lock nuts behind them.
I took this one step further and made polycarbonate plates to fit on the inside of the kayak to give them more strength. I can now use my RAM-mounted Scotty Trap Ease without worries.

Also, instead of using the forward T fitting location to pass the cables, I replaced the T fitting with a Hobie D fitting. This is where I attach my peddle leash.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote