Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
wbrewski

Are there any kayakers over 66 out there

I am thinking about giving up kayak fishing, after a day in my yak I am really hurting, do you guys over 66 feel the same way?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Raskal311

I'm half that and I'm hurting after a day on the water.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Vito is over 70 and sometimes fishes 3-4 times a week.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Well I,m right at 66 and certainly fell sore after a paddling session but after a nap and a couple ibruprofin I'm ready to go again. I feel the same way after a round of golf but add stress and frustration to that activity.

There is a very nice gentleman that kayak fishes out of Dana Point (Charles) who I believe is close to 80. He's a real purist. Sit inside kayak with one rod holder and no electronics. He covers a lot of ground and catches a lot of fish. Haven't seen him for a few months but he was one of the first I met on the water when I started yak fishing 12 or 13 years ago. Hope all is well with him.

If it's a passion you just put up with the downside. One of my first trips I got dumped in the surf in Laguna Beach and tore a calf muscle and lost over a grand of shimano gear. Now that I think about it; I should have quit then.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
65 next Sunday. Yea it hurts sometimes, 5 heart attacks, 2 stints, double bypass last year. Got to fish. Better a little pain than no life! Surf is almost undo able. But lots of other water to fish. See you all out there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
I am thinking about giving up kayak fishing, after a day in my yak I am really hurting, do you guys over 66 feel the same way?
What exactly hurts? Shoulders, wrists, arms, back(Upper or lower)?

Search Youtube.com for proper paddling techniques. The first time I went out for 8 hour on the water my arms were killing me, shoulders, arms, and wrists. Someone on this board suggested checking out the push/pull method of paddling, and I'm telling you once I learned the right way to paddle, it made a world of difference.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 06-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
janines.fishtales@cox.net

I'm 52. I would just suggest possibly shorter days on the yak for you. I find that after 4 or 5 hours, I have usually had enough. I recently went out on one of those Islander trips. I spent 12 hours on the yak. I was pretty sore the few days after, but not too bad. I wish I would have started 10 years ago, but hey, what the hell. Better late than never. Keep at it, just DON'T STOP!

Janine
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Mahigeer

I am 62 and just started the kayak fishing. My last outing in Catalina was really exhausting due to a lousy kayak, swells and winds. I have post about it.

After a few hours of resting and getting some nutrition, I was ok. I smoke on occasion, but workout twice a week when I can.

I will give it a while and see what happens. For me loading and unloading the kayak. Packing and unpacking the SUV has been the down side of kayaking.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
PapaDave

I'm 59, I've been fishing from the kayak for about 3 years now. My typical day on the water consists of between 8-12 hours, more during the summer. I don't get real tired in the yak but at days end loading it can be tough. By the time I get home I swear I am not going fishing again the next day. But then I get up, look out the window, go pack up the kayak and do it all again. I was out the last three days and if not for having to work I would be there today.

Hang in there, once you build up your stamina you'll get to the point where you can go and go and go. And remember, fresh air, excerise and good eats are important for us older folks.

Besides, I tried staying home one weekend but it costs too much, all I did was spend money on tackle and food.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
if you are older....buy a hobie and let your legs do the work...a trailer will make loading super easy but harder to get a parking spot...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Thumbs up

X2 regarding pedaling vs. paddling!

Someone once explained it to me as: Imagine riding a bike 10 miles and pedaling with your arms instead of your legs.

With a pedal-style kayak, you'll have the option to either pedal or paddle for locomotion. I understand that some people are arm-paddling kayak purists, but personally, I'm a fisherman and cover plenty of distance on my trips.

Just loading and unloading the kayak, and pulling on fish all day is enough of a shoulder/arm workout! I have benefited greatly from giving my arms a break in this sport!

Hope that helps.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
rieffer

DON"T GIVE UP!!! I'm 66 also. Have you looked at the Hobies? God bless the mirage drive. I usually go out for 8-12 hours at a time and no problems. I do sleep good though. I just have to figure a way to make it feel like I'm going downhill from the beach to the truck. Stay with it , where else are you going to get that much peace, beauty, and fun for free!
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
wbrewski

Thanks all

I have a hobie pa 14 and it is my back that kills me , I will look for better seating.
Again thank all for the words thak will keep me going, I have been fishing since i was 12 years old.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
finyak

Like the commercial says, a body in motion stays in motion.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Use it or loose it.

I think about this a lot. I'll be 53 shortly, most of my friends that are my age are giving things up, afraid of injuring themselves, getting out of shape, and generally pretty miserable.

I kayak and cycle. I'll be honest if I stop even for a few months I get out of shape and with cycling there's a huge difference in my ability and performance. It seems the older I get the faster I loose ability so basically I have to keep doing it.

I think part of growing old is purely mental, you think your old, you act old, you are old. It's like over eating, or feeling lethargic, there is a part of me that wants to sleep in, sit around drink beer, or watch TV all day, but I know better, and the more I'm out there pushing my limits the healthier I am and the better I feel.

My dad had his first heart attack at 44, everyone in my immediate family that's still alive (my parents are both dead) have some health issues. Overweight, high blood pressure, things that have required repeated doctor visits and even major surgery in the last five years. I'm the same weight I was in high school, I wear the same jeans, and I have not been a doctor in fifteen years, and that was only because I almost cut off my finger with a bandsaw.

People often think I'm in my late 30s or early 40s, I kid you not. Usually at night after drinking with poor lighting but it happens. I think that's because I do the things I love, and they keep me healthy.

If your back hurts maybe you could try a different style of Kayak or another seat. Perhaps paddling would be a better option for you because it will strengthen your arms and back. Years ago I had a bad fall rock climbing that damaged my back, and I also have problems with my back due to some spinal curvature issues that I've had since birth. Almost every morning I wake up with some back pain but I've found the best thing for it is to use those muscles and keep in shape.

Just my take though. You got a few years on me, but I'm thinking they are going to have to pull the paddle from my cold dead hands.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

30s oh come on now....

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
30s oh come on now....

What can I say.... Drunk 24 year old girls are not very good at guessing a mans age "

Honestly though I must of just lucked out on the genetics or something. I don't live a pure lifestyle by any means: I've always tended to drink too much at times, used to smoke, eat real food like meat and vegetables, and buy my groceries at Ralphs not some yuppie health food place like whole foods. When I was a kid I thought I'd be dead by now but I don't even have any grey hair.

It may seem like I'm talking shit but I'm not. I honestly think the most important thing you can do for your health is do things you love, and get enough exercise. Kayak fishing combines both for me, same with cycling, and the work I do is also physically demanding. I've watched a lot of my friends give up, quit, slow down, stop fishing, stop hiking, stop hunting and then they age dramatically in a short period time. I understand where they are coming from but I don't think it has to be that way.

Each their own though. I'll probably wreck my motorcycle or get run over by LA driver on my bike tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280655_10151050869315945_671754788_o.jpg (55.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I'm 59, I've been fishing from the kayak for about 3 years now. My typical day on the water consists of between 8-12 hours, more during the summer. I don't get real tired in the yak but at days end loading it can be tough. By the time I get home I swear I am not going fishing again the next day. But then I get up, look out the window, go pack up the kayak and do it all again. I was out the last three days and if not for having to work I would be there today. Hang in there, once you build up your stamina you'll get to the point where you can go and go and go. And remember, fresh air, excerise and good eats are important for us older folks.
There you go!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
jorluivil

I know a few that look 66 but are 46

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
Install a trolling motor...and no more back problems.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote