Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
carbonbass

Checkers and rattles, but no slimers 5/13

decided since i had friday off also that i would get on my yak and launch out of NPH. Got a few logs yesterday on the freelance and decided I wanted to see if any of the school would be right out front of NPH. Plan B was to go left to the kelp and try my new kelp cutting rig. Turns out there was no birds action guess they are really stick around the flats for now. With the warmer water i wanted to see how the calico action was going.

It wasnt long before i saw evan salvay pull up in his nice little boat. He got right up on the boilers with it, but i didnt see him bring any in and he moved shortly. I really wanted to try out one of my new inshore rigs that i want for pretty much everything around here, bass, cuda, small yellows and kelp cutting. The rig works just as planned, i caught kuda with it yesterday and cut kelp with it today :lol: .

To get bit today you just had to paddle on top of the thickest part of the kelp and just drop it straight down inbetween one of the holes, the ticket was 4-5 inch swimbaits with 3/4 to 1oz weedless heads. Love how much more fun it is with 30lb braid just pulling your catch right out the top of the kelp .

I caught a few and missed several. Had a nice train that broke off my mono leader on the strike and on the fall, problem was i only brought 8lb mono with me doh! After that i went str8 braid and got my first and pretty healthy rattlesnake (actually surprised at how strong it was for its size), i figured there could be more sculpin so i put on a zoom fluke, right onto the lead head and jigged it up and down, resulted in my personal worst in the same day! About 3 inches or so :lol: . Wound up with a handful of calicos and some rattlers. Wish I didnt break on the big boy, probably woulda been a new best checker.

Great day to be on the water, Ill be hitting the spot at night next to see how that produces. Its warming up guys go get em! I may actually be crazy enough to surf launch around HB this week and try to get the cuda on my yak

ps. anyone have a good scuplin recipe for cooking the fish whole?

carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

CDM producing some fish. As good as I have heard sculpin are, I have never kept one and have never been stuck by one.

The Mini X is very user friendly in the surf.

Good cam to see what HB is like.

http://www.hbonline.com/surfcam.htm
Old 05-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
CDM producing some fish. As good as I have heard sculpin are, I have never kept one and have never been stuck by one.

The Mini X is very user friendly in the surf.

Good cam to see what HB is like.

http://www.hbonline.com/surfcam.htm
ive only launched at laguna and long beach, both spots were dead flat, i actually thought because of the small size the mini-x would tip easier in the surf :P guess i was wrong, do you think being on a kayak that far out would be too dangerous? I think the flats are at least 3 miles out ya?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Mini X will ride the wave without pearling just lean back to keep the bow up and ride on in.

Quote:
do you think being on a kayak that far out would be too dangerous? I think the flats are at least 3 miles out ya?
I would not recommend going solo.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Amish Ed

X2 with Andy on the solo. What's the water temp in CDM?