Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Is a New Year's Day Limit Bad JuJu

I wanted to get out to LJ for fin fish, but I had to prioritize my time and saw that the bite was tough so I decided to head to the bay Saturday Night for some crawlers instead. Spent too much for only fair bait at Ranch 99. I arrived later than I wanted and the hi-tide was going to peak in an hour (although only about 1 1/2 ft of movement. I got my first bug while I was resetting position of my second net, with only 12 minutes of soak time, a solid legal. After 40 minute soak and tide was starting to shift, 3 solid legals in 2 of 5 nets w/another 10 shorts. Air temp dropped to low 40's w/a little offshore. Nothing but a few shorts off that hole for the next set, so left 2 nets and spent next 3 hours trying new areas, sprinting between test sets - more as way to stay warm rather than saving time. None of my new test spots worked, but I p/u legal each of the next two pulls in my original spot. I decided to head back to the car to get some hot tea in me and take care of some other stuff, to return to a nice 4 lb er to finish the night. 7 Bugs by midnight.

Not that I believe in superstitions or folklore, but is catching your limit on the first day of the year a good or bad omen? A sign of good things to come, or used up my fishing mojo and things just go down hill from here for the rest of the year?

Now I need to start taking photos of the end result like some of you guys do - 1 batch of Lobster Rissotto w/some smoked shredded gouda and bacon pieces and 1 batch of Jambalaya w/smoked andoulie, worth the cold and the potential of bad JuJu for the rest of the year.
Attached Images

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote