Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Matt
Support your local pangas

August 8 LJ a.m

Well got the day off of work so I decided to head on out with taggermike and try and find some of the right kind!! Launched at around 630 to some little thumpers that if you weren't careful could get you very,very,very wet!!!!!! Headed out towards the kelp to try and make bait.....now to say this was difficult doesn't even begin to describe it, had catfood= lots of tiny ass chovies, squid strips got picked at but nada finally around 8:45/9 managed to start nailing spanish macks, loaded up the tank and headed off. Fished from 60' to 110' from Marine Street and all around the hotel then finally a quick halibut fish off of the usual spots all por nada! Oh well, maybe tomorrow!!!

Good luck to all who head on out!

Matt F.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

thanks for the report Matt! whats the Vis off Marine st looking like? Is it thumping near the blue wall as well?
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
ratdog

Thanks for the report Matt, sounds like things are still the same lately.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Matt

The water is just really "lumpy" lots of rocking, not too bad near Marine st. or off the kelp the visibility was pretty good. The launch just has those close interval sets with a little bit of size every now and then. It sure felt like it was gonna pop wide open today.......hopefully soon!

Matt
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Dennis

Thought that was you out there Matt. I wasn't close enough to give a shout. A different story for me... minus the prize fish.
Launched at 0530, pretty dry. Paddled to the bouy, but no bait to be found. Went a little further, and saw Todd motor by me in an aluminum. I sat in a pretty thick mac school that stayed for a good 20-30 min. Loaded up the tank, then started throwing the JIMI. Every cast was a cuda. I spent a lot of time catching slime logs, then decided that was enough. Trolled a MEGA Mac, around for nothing. Headed to the corner, then south. I started paddling back around 0930. As I was rounding the corner, I get picked up. The fish is taking my bait slow and steady. I knew it wasn't a yellow. I looked back to see a footprint, and glimpse of a fin (not a yellow). I picked up the rod and load up. I get towed a little bit, and then quickly to color. It was a pup mako, that was self released. I didn't see anything else, besides more mac/bait boils. It looked fishy in the morning, but it died off. Water was 72, vis looked 10-15'. Wind stayed up all morning, and the launch had some nice sets roll through.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

good 2 know headed out tommorow mornin THURS if anybody is rollin let me know !!!!!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Matt

Hey Dennis,

Bummer I missed you out there! My FF is down and going back to lowrance so bait might be easier for me when I get my new one installed!! Glad to hear you got some action today! Hopefully I will see you out there soon!

Matt
Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
apneahunter

marine st vis sucks

I've been there the past two days on the beach womping a bit, and am sad to report that the vis is no more than 5 feet. I dove just west/south of children's pool yesterday for about an hour- incredibly surgy and crappy vis. It sucks when the warm water is in and the sunny weather is around and there is no vis. IT should bust any day now. Can't wait.

Thanks for the report and good luck next time.

Ryan
apneahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
Dennis

Same thing here, Matt. Hopefully we'll both out when it busts open. My ff was acting weird today also, but then again it's a humminbird . In 70' of water it would read 12' (open water, no kelp). And for 10 min. it read 6". I mostly relied on the macs cracking the surface..
Good luck for those who go out tomorrow.