Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #41
ericko

Alan it a 10 dollar item at most~~~~><((((*> so why not have one if it helps non athletic types like myself get on easier... I might as well just sit on a surf board and fish cause a kayak is not a must to fish but its nice...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #42
taggermike

No one heads out for a kayak trip expecting to go through what you did. It can sure happen though. You weren't alone, you had the re-entry gear, and you knew how to use it. Well done. The way the auto-inflating PFD was up around your head would have kept you breathing it you were unconscious but it looked like a serious impediment to reentering your kayak. Is it common to have to take waders off to get back on a kayak? If it had been February that would suck. And be kinda dangerous too.

Maybe they already have, but if not Hobie might want to make a serious video on how to get back on to a PA. I've given kayak tours and paddling lessons and done hundreds of demonstrations on righting and reentering a kayak. For an old guy I'm fairly strong and nimble but going over the side of a PA looks a bit tough. The PAs have that rail that makes them higher and could possibly catch on PFD straps or belts and leave you stuck half in and half out. My 2 cents would be to maybe climb over the bow. Bows tent to be narrower and you don't have to work through a bunch of rods and other gear. Grab the bow handle, push down with your body weight, if you can sink the bow enough to get your legs on either side you can hug the boat and climb back on.

Thanks for the video. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
Not just this last week. It happens consistently every single season and nothing is changing. You should have to have an instructor level safety certification to even take lobster.
Not trying to thread jack but I disagree completely. I wont get into an argument but this is absurd.........
Old 10-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #44
rpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Ricks the man! But I didn't even see his name come up in the other post???
x100. Loses all effect after it has been pointed out. Thanks Rick for getting back into the water and apparently "JUST STANDING BY".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yes rick deserves credit for standing by...

I give rick credit for coming over and trying to help out where he could, he stood by and helped out with holding onto my pfd and waders.

The fact is he did not save my life.... he didn't have to, but he could have if I was in serious trouble. The fact is "I" righted my kayak, an "I" climbed back on. Let's not forget Jorge was there too.

What saved me is simply being prepared. Having the right tools in the right place and having trained myself for just such a situation. Like Jorge said there are no heros here, everybody did what they were supposed to do, and stood by ready to help if needed.
I would think this would be a humbling experience for anyone but I guess "YOU" swallowed too much water and the saltiness just got "YOUR" head.
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
old_rookie

glad this was a good ending.
Cool that Rick took the time out of his trip to jump in and put your stuff into the kayak.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #46
Jim Sammons LJKF

Glad that all turned out well. It did demonstrate why I am not a fan of purely inflatable PFDs. You should not have to remove a safety item in order to get in your kayak.
It was noted that you had to remove your waders as well, were you wearing a wading belt? I see a lot of guys in waders without the belt and that is not a good idea.

People have a tendency to overestimate their skills and underestimate the ocean. There is always another day to go out, no point in risking things on crappy days.

Great to see everyone pitch in so this was a happy ending.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #47
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
People have a tendency to overestimate their skills and underestimate the ocean. .

Too true
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #48
nitsuj
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yes rick deserves credit for standing by...

I give rick credit for coming over and trying to help out where he could, he stood by and helped out with holding onto my pfd and waders.

The fact is he did not save my life.... he didn't have to, but he could have if I was in serious trouble. The fact is "I" righted my kayak, an "I" climbed back on. Let's not forget Jorge was there too.

What saved me is simply being prepared. Having the right tools in the right place and having trained myself for just such a situation. Like Jorge said there are no heros here, everybody did what they were supposed to do, and stood by ready to help if needed.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #49
johnnyblaze2009

Rick your a cool dude. I think the situation would have been worse or at least more frustrating had you NOT been there. I appreciate people like you that will go out of their way to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote