Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
IslanderFishing

I finally caught a fish!

If you're a visual learner that's great. Here you go. A picture says a thousand words.

Personally, I read everything I can find, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

Before I begin, I will tell you that I'm very new to this sport. I'd just like to share my story like many of you have before. The story of an angler who's found kayak fishing, read everything ever written on the subject and spent thousands of dollars in the process. A guy who's also found catching fish to be quite the challenge. It's not easy and as a matter of fact is really hard! The big fish that originally make us rush out and buy all this stuff aren't exactly dumb. Fortunately I was steered in the right direction over time through this very site. So reading about kayak fishing during all hours of the night kind of paid off.

It all started with an e-mail exchange with a well-known, local fishing expert named Josh Pruitt aka THE DARKHOURSE. I’ve been in contact with him since last fall when I purchased my brand new Hobie Oasis. From that point forward, he had been giving me great advice. Everything from what gear to purchase (rods, reels, sonar, tackle, etc) to what would be essential to landing trophy fish. While I was making the time to get out on my own the results just didn't follow. So I had no problem swallowing the pride and hiring a professional. I want to catch fish!

Josh and I met up for the first time on a cold Winter day. Being that it was cold I really wasn't expecting much. Summer is the best time for Yellowtail right? Then Josh hooked me up on fish after fish dropping the yo yo iron. I was hooking up, but with my “rookie status” I didn’t land any. Not one! I hooked three big Yellowtail that particular day. Three times my heart sank as I did something different each time to lose them. One time I wasn't keeping enough pressure and the fish just dropped the iron. Another fish was lost due to me accidentally loosening the drag with my sleeve as I was frantically cranking away. The third fish later that afternoon just pulled me down into a pile of rocks and broke me off! I learned a ton, but came home empty handed and would ponder these opportunities for weeks on end.

We kept in touch over the following months. I had a second day with him already planned, but from my heavy work load and family schedule we just never linked back up. Until here recently. Last week I finally was able to carve out some time for myself. Sorry about the late report, but my time here lately is just non existent. This trip things were going to be different. I had a different game-face on. I was packed and ready, actually got some shut-eye this time (our first trip I slept an hour tops!).

I'm in good spirits as Josh told me it had been great for months (with photos to prove it), but driving down from Temecula I hit some traffic. I finally got to La Jolla and my coach was waiting and ready. He helped me get setup and off we went. Josh went over surf launching and was kind enough to hold my gear for safety sake. Good thing! As we made our way out and I attempted to climb aboard, I couldn’t put my foot through the foot strap in time. Next thing I know I was sideways! Luckily the waves weren't out for blood.

We continued on and as I peddle out, my bow starts to slap the water violently. I'm in a tandem. With no person up front and splashing all over the place. I was surely scaring the fish! One of the beauties of kayak fishing is its ability to be stealth and surprise the fish. That was not going to be the case on this day. So much so that Josh said "if we don't catch anything I'm going to blame it on your pounding hull". He then said "we need to put some weight in the front for ballast". It was said with a smile so I could tell he was joking. Or was he? At the same time I became worried that he may be right and I'd never get close to a fish.

After much ruckus and plenty of splashing, a couple hours of making bait, then Josh says it's time to fish! Keep in mind I've hooked a big fish before I've just never landed one. I really wanted to land a fish this time. That's why we all spend thousands and thousands of dollars on gear! I will also say that I wouldn't have landed this fish without Josh's help. I pretty much did everything possible to lose this fish again! My nightmare from our first trip came flooding back I kept accidentally backing the drag off. Then I would just quit cranking for some reason and giving the fish slack. Anyone's who's fished with Josh will probably tell you he wasn't having it. He was all over me correcting issues until that glorious moment came. The sinking of the gaff! Oh what a glorious moment. This fish practically killed me!

That fish was later followed by another opportunity lost. Apparently the first fish worked me over so hard that I could barely turn the handle. I was quickly pulled down into my backing and pop she went! Josh assure me that some fish are just bound to get away. So we continue on until this happens.

Another arm burning fight, but this time I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'm not constantly loosening the drag by accident. My coach assures me that I'm doing everything right as I'm sweating my ass off fighting this thing! It's huge. It's got to be bigger than the first one? Then he sinks the gaff in fish number two! I can't believe it!

I'd later find out the fish on deck is just over thirty pounds and the fish in my hands is in the mid twenties! When we launched I would have killed for one half the size. The decision is made to fish a different location. Somewhere a bit shallower and we move on. I'm completely beat at this point.

The sun, the wind and fish have all taken it's toll. Josh is completely unfazed and fresh as a daisy. So I press on through the pain. And wouldn't you know it my coach was right. I'm hooked up again! He could see my fish down below on his finder. He's providing me with guidance and cheering me on. I could hear him saying, "70 feet… 50 feet…You got this, You got this!" As it got closer and closer, I looked below and thought I saw a huge sea lion. I screamed dog and practically began to panic! Josh calmly says "that’s not a dog, that’s your fish just take it easy on this one". If it wasn't a dog whatever it was is huge! It motivated me to push forward, but I was exhausted and barely hanging on by a thread. I eventually got the fish to the surface and Josh was able to gaff this beauty. The brown flash I saw was not a sea lion.

It was a fifty pound White Sea Bass! At this point I'm completely in shock and in disbelief. Can this actually be happening?

This guy's a machine. Josh was focused and incredible determined the entire time.

Have you ever wanted to see what a Hobie tandem looks like with over a hundred pounds of fish in the bow? Clearly he got the ballast he was after all along. The pounding bow was pounding no more. I must say the ride back to the launch site was quiet as a mouse an incredibly pleasant. This would have never have happened without the help of Josh. It was a wise decision to seek guidance. From this experience I have a greater respect of the power of these fish. Kayak fishin’ ain’t no joke and neither is the man I hired. He’s the real deal and for those of you that would like to do more catching and less fishing look no further.
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Amazing! That is a trip of 10 lifetimes! Congrats, josh you are da man!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
YakAttak

Wow .. this is the type of fishing I dream about
Thanks for the exciting read
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Divad

A day on the water with Josh is priceless! Congratulations!
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Congrats on a fine day !
Great read , the Pictures are off the hook !
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Raskal311

That smile looks like its worth every penny....
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
salty pirate

wow! Nice job bringing those fish in!

salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Hondatom

you have found the force.Use he force.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
FishNinjaY

such an exciting read! love this pics!

Did you consider putting your bait tank in the front seat? That would have put enough ballast up there, probably at least 50-70lbs of water? Plus, the tank would have been a bit lower down, which might have lowered your center of gravity? I'd think that would make for a more stable ride?

I can't tell you how stoked I am to read your post. You have my exact kayak.. even the color Oasis tandem is the same! I have to get some more details and look into this some more!

ps... Honcho, let's get on this?!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

That was an epic day

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Amazing DAY - congratulations!!! Josh is an excellent guide and pics are awesome...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
xpresso2am

Troy,

Great Story and Killer fish man! that is beyond epic! Just looking at your kayak and all the tails...dude...killer.

Congrats brother

Ken
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
silentsmell

what a great day! Looks like Josh is going to be getting lots of PMs today. Way to go guys
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

HOLY SHIT!!!! the DARKHORSE is a beast. and you now have a hundred pounds of fresh expensive fish!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Honcho

whoa..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
such an exciting read! love this pics!

Did you consider putting your bait tank in the front seat? That would have put enough ballast up there, probably at least 50-70lbs of water? Plus, the tank would have been a bit lower down, which might have lowered your center of gravity? I'd think that would make for a more stable ride?

I can't tell you how stoked I am to read your post. You have my exact kayak.. even the color Oasis tandem is the same! I have to get some more details and look into this some more!

nice, lets do it...
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Sully1

Yah, Josh goes primal when he's on the hunt. It's all you can do to keep up. Just imagine how much you'll learn. What an amazing day on the water! And way to honor those fish with some epic shots. Thanks for the excellent post bud!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
toadstoadsonly

Great write up, congratulations on the triple! I was stoked for you guys when I received the picture mail of the yellowtail and the Tanker seabass. Those are truly both fish of a lifetime. I have been hearing your stories going out with Wi for the past year or so trying to chase the exotics, I told my girl Silvia to tell you guys to hire DarkHorse (Josh) not sure if she ever told him but either way you found the right direction. Hope to see many more trophies to come.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
kaya_one

I like pictures - that's what keeps me coming back to BWE (even at 2:30pm when I should be working). Oh, the glory to have not one but 3 fish in the yacht. someday....someday.
Sweet post.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

awesome write up!

now go take those stupid foot straps off your pedals!!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
theluckypig

the legend continues !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post

i have an oasis too. i usually sit in the front seat for better control, and use it like a hobie pickup... bait tank and gear in the back. if i were to surf launch it, i'd guess that i'd sit in the front to launch and in the back to land... hmmm... i'll go try it an let you know how it goes...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote