Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

I had my question answered today in La Jolla

About two years ago while fishing I saw a Great White from about 20 - 30 yards away from me swimming on the surface. I estimated it at about 14 feet long based on the distance from its dorsal fin to its tail which were both out of the water. It slowly swam like that for 30-40 seconds before it went back under. I remember being a little freaked out about it but at the same time feeling pretty excited that I got to see such a creature live and in its natural habitat that most people only will ever see on TV. It's a vision I will never forget.
As we all know, periodically someone will post a report, story, or video here about their or someone else's close encounter with a Great White while kayaking. As I read those posts I always wondered how I'd react if I saw one up close, like right next to me. Would I scream like a little girl? Would I fill my waders with mud? Would I paddle so fast back to the safety of the beach that I'd leave a wake behind me? I thought about it a few times and wondered which one, if not all of those things I would do.
WELL.........
today I got my answer!
I was in my slow relaxed paddle mode trolling a Mack. As I dipped my left paddle in the water I looked down and saw a ton of small fish right beneath the surface. I then continued my stroke on my right side but I didn't see any fish on my right. For a split second I thought that was odd and right when I was about to dip my left side in again I was looking down on my left and a Great White swam past me in the opposite direction. It was about 4 feet away from me and was BIG and FAT!!!! Its dorsal fin was about six inches under the water and I looked at it right in its eye that just looked like a black hole. It's back was dark gray and I could clearly see the separation and pattern between the gray back and white bottom because it was so fat. It looked either pregnant or like it had a seal in its belly and I'd say that it was wider than my Stealth. My kayak is 14 feet and the shark was easily 12 - 13 feet long. As soon as it passed I finished my left stroke and then as I dipped my paddle for my right stroke I turned around and saw it swim up into an on coming swell, turn, and disappear. The whole encounter lasted only about 10 seconds from start to finish but I will NEVER forget it. It is truly an experience that can never be adequately described and I have to say its one of the most amazing things that I've ever seen.
Anyway.......
My question was answered.......
I didn't mess my waders, scream like little girl, or even really break my slow paddle rhythm. (maybe because I didn't see its teeth).
And now my report,
Greenies are around were easy to get on my sabiki.
I fly lined them and pulled them all around the outside of the kelp all day for nothing. Trolling wasn't easy because there are so many floating kelp stringers to avoid. The seals were in force and ate 4 of my Macks. The water was warm and clear.
From what I saw and heard there wasn't anything caught by anyone. SLOOOOOWWWWWW!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
cell128
lizard king

I woulda shat my pants and screamed like a 4 year old girl simultaneously..... Then I would of got the hell of there...were you by yourself? Mad respect for your experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
sdmosch

I seen you out there today. Pretty cool that you were able to see one in its natural habitat. Maybe it will eat some dogs for us!
sdmosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
skrilla

Cool encounter report. No wonder theres no fish in LJ.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

been there. its awesome isn't it!?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
"jjcawjj"

Great Read! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure I would have Mud my waders !
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Dannowar

Oh cool I was diving right inside the kelp yesterday!!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
battleborn

thanks for the read. was like being there. well without the risk of being eaten. and the awesome visual memory. Would have been great to have seen it person.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Quilted Germ

That is awesome.....glad you got to experience it. I'm hesitantly jealous though I don't know that I really want to see the same....
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
dmrides

Damn Mike, that's awesome! What a sight. Glad it swam off without any further investigation!

The other day I was thinking of how I had never seen a white. That made me wonder how many whites had seen me.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Zfish03

Great story Mike! I could have sworn I saw a large shark's tail and a splash by the kelp last sunday, and yesterday in the evening I saw a sea lion hauling ass on the surface by pass my mackerel and b-lined to the kelp...hmmm. Almost forget we are critters floating on plastic in the wilderness sometimes!
Anywhoo, slow day for me too.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

That's amazing! We are in their world for sure! Cool experience for you! Not sure how I would handle it either!!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
DennisMorgan

Pucker factor for sure....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
h2ofishfo

Eat them dogs !!!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Zfish03

People that do cove swims through the kelp, over the canyon, and to shore have balls. Especially swimming with tasty sea lions and pups frolicking around. I prefer my ocean swims away from sea lion breeding grounds, because I'm a pussy. Sooner or later...
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Rambo

scary thoughts when i'm on the water of La Jolla and in the back of my mind is that there's shark out there. I'd be soiling my waders and holding knife encase that shark decides to attack. But glad it was a shark that just cruise by.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

That is a crazy story. Thanks for sharing.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #18
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Saw one while making bait under the pier before sunrise. Scared all the fish away. Like you, I was more fascinated than scared. No point in being scared anyway; what are you going to do?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
ctfphoto

Wow Mike that sounds like a very cool experience. About 3 years ago, on my second trip out kayak fishing I saw a GW in the distance. I may be weird, but I thought it was really cool to see.

Ya all those swimmers in La Jolla, makes me feel very safe on the kayak. So many other targets with the swimmers and seals, why go after a large piece of plastic?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
driftwood

Yup, it's that time of the year lots big shark fins seen sticking out of the water. I had my share of GW encounters.

If your nervous about sharks in La Jolla... stay out of the water from July thru Oct. Especially the month of Oct up north.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote