Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
markchan
Junior

Surfboard Fishing

Anyone here also fish off of your surfboard? I enjoy surfing and fishing... just want to see if I can combine the two! Looking specifically to find people to go with. Any connections welcome. Located in the LA/OC area. Thank you!
markchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markchan View Post
Anyone here also fish off of your surfboard? I enjoy surfing and fishing... just want to see if I can combine the two! Looking specifically to find people to go with. Any connections welcome. Located in the LA/OC area. Thank you!
The closest you'll find in this group is those that fish off a paddle board. Pick the right board, and you can easily ride on it as well (I can probably get away with that on mine, but it wouldn't be a comfortable experience...)
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
cris

Quote:

While on vacation a few years ago I was surf fishing and watching fish boiling a few hundred yards offshore on a reef so I grabbed my longboard and paddled out to the reef and sat up and cast from a seated position. Caught some small trevally and snappers. Kayaks and paddle boards are definitely better fishing platforms but in a pinch a longboard will work.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

something about having your feet in the water when your bringing thrashing fish up that makes me uncomfortable. But a nice stable paddleboard and you have a solid fishing platform.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
forgivenick
Junior

yes, I have fished off my 9' longboard many times. Throw the cork handle in your teeth and paddle out. Throw swim baits about 50 to 100 yards outside the lineup on a flatter day. When visibility is greater, you should be able to see where the sand channels between the rock reef are. Targeting the sand channels when the surge isn't too great has yielded fish far more often than any other technique right outside the surf zone for me. Bounce the lead head off the sand and you will likely have a halibut on your line at some point. Using a surfboard leash as a stringer also works pretty well. Uneasy feeling with feet constantly in the water? Its nothing compared to 20lbs of fish hanging next to your feet. Once you get on a good bite and dont want to stop fishing while having a leash full of dead fish surrounding your foot, you won't even care about the times when your feet are just dangling there by themselves.
Have fun and post up some pictures of all the fish you catch on your board by fishing the depth outside the surf that most anglers don't readily fish.
forgivenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgivenick View Post
Its nothing compared to 20lbs of fish hanging next to your feet. Once you get on a good bite and dont want to stop fishing while having a leash full of dead fish surrounding your foot, you won't even care about the times when your feet are just dangling there by themselves.
Well, I have to say. I for one have has the misfortune of hammerhead attaching it self to my gameclip and thrashing around 12 inches from my ass for what felt like an hour. In reality it was about 11-12 seconds. Enough for me not to ever wana keep my extremities in the water.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Have seen guys several times fishing long boards at San O when I was there.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
DPevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Have seen guys several times fishing long boards at San O when I was there.
X2

I see a guy there often who surfs, then will go in and start the coals for his weber....paddle back out with a rod, land a halibut and paddle right back in and cook it up for the family.

I think he uses dead dines though...
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Well, I have to say. I for one have has the misfortune of hammerhead attaching it self to my gameclip and thrashing around 12 inches from my ass for what felt like an hour. In reality it was about 11-12 seconds. Enough for me not to ever wana keep my extremities in the water.
True story. Thats what we get for hand feeding them. LOL.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Where were you fishing at?

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
markchan
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgivenick View Post
yes, I have fished off my 9' longboard many times. Throw the cork handle in your teeth and paddle out. Throw swim baits about 50 to 100 yards outside the lineup on a flatter day. When visibility is greater, you should be able to see where the sand channels between the rock reef are. Targeting the sand channels when the surge isn't too great has yielded fish far more often than any other technique right outside the surf zone for me. Bounce the lead head off the sand and you will likely have a halibut on your line at some point. Using a surfboard leash as a stringer also works pretty well. Uneasy feeling with feet constantly in the water? Its nothing compared to 20lbs of fish hanging next to your feet. Once you get on a good bite and dont want to stop fishing while having a leash full of dead fish surrounding your foot, you won't even care about the times when your feet are just dangling there by themselves.
Have fun and post up some pictures of all the fish you catch on your board by fishing the depth outside the surf that most anglers don't readily fish.
Thanks for the tips! Where have you gone fishing? Where, in your opinion, is a great beginner spot to try out such an endeavor?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
markchan
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
While on vacation a few years ago I was surf fishing and watching fish boiling a few hundred yards offshore on a reef so I grabbed my longboard and paddled out to the reef and sat up and cast from a seated position. Caught some small trevally and snappers. Kayaks and paddle boards are definitely better fishing platforms but in a pinch a longboard will work.
Sounds awesome! Was that in SoCal?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
FullFlavorPike

Surf board is old school bottom scratchers dive platform approved. Paddle out to 30' of water in the cover and shoot a couple 200# BSB for dinner wearing no fins and a wool speedo.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
cris

Quote:
Sounds awesome! Was that in SoCal?
Nah, here I use my kayak. Been on a few vacations over the years with friends or family that prefers to surf rather than fish so it felt natural rather than rent a kayak when there was one available
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #15
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Where were you fishing at?
Middle of Malibu during el nino. Didn't think the hammerheads were that far north that year. Found out otherwise.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
sanomick

SanO

I go out of SanO a couple times a week on my waveski. Fish inside the break and get washed off my board occasionally - but the fishing is good.

You can see my waveski and what I use at my blog seabooty99.wordpress.com
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote