Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
Badman Bolinchsky

32-ounce paddle: is it worth it?

Came across this guy Duane's free plans and instructions (lots of pictures) for making make a really light, strong kayak fishing paddle in a weekend.

You guys think the idea is worth it?

Link:

http://northamericankayakfishing.blo...ht-paddle.html
Badman Bolinchsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Useful Idiot

Looks like a pretty intense process but I love my carbon fiber werner. Night and day as far as fatigue compared to the standard aluminum and plastic paddle.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
defjack

32 oz paddle

Looks good to me already have epoxy resin left over from glassing my truck.The design looks plenty strong. This should be a good winter project. Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Worth it?

If your handy with tools and have experience working with fiberglass it might be a good project. Either that or if you are willing to sacrifice some material to learn to do it right it might be worth the effort.

I've made lots of additions and alterations to my kayaks that have made them better than the original product. I don't know if I would be able to improve upon a professionally made paddle. I recently bought a Werner carbon fiber paddle from OEX and I sincerely doubt that I could do a better job. Some things are worth making and some are best left to the professionals. Besides; with my skills, I'd probably have the blades fall off my homemade paddle when I was a couple miles offshore. :shock: