Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
scotty1369

F*&$ Cancer! LJ 8/24

Quick back story, my best friend Jesse's brother(daniel) passed away from pancreatic cancer last Friday. Needless to say, Jesse was in need of some ocean therapy. Due to his mental haze and our lack of sound planning we ended up skipping our 5am launch and decided to hit the evening bite. We hit the beach at noon. After chatting with the guys coming in from the morning session, there didn't seem to be much hope; bait was hard to get and everyone was skunked. Not to worry, we were going to have a blast regardless. We passed the buoys and started making bait, between the two of us wrangled 3 Spanish and a useless lizard fish. With dogs everywhere and hammerheads causing a ruckus, there didn't seem to be much hope. I was trolling around my last Spanish and it got slammed, then spit. I pulled it in and by my surprise, the majority of the fish was still there, a bit damaged but still alive. I put him back to work, and within seconds I was on again. after a lengthy fight I see a hammerhead b-line it toward my boat.... oh shit! no worries, Jesse got between me and the shark and tossed a tasty iron right in his path. The hammerhead hit! While i was pulling in my fish, Jesse is fighting a hammerhead, it was doing circles around his boat, it was like Jesse was riding a bull as the shark was helicoptering at mach-jesus around his yak. Hard to explain how hilarious this situation was. Jesse broke off with the shark as I got color, YT number 1! Yea baby! I forgot my gaff like a dumb-ass so I hand gilled him into the boat (scary). We started trolling west along the kelp and made our way around a cattle boat the seemed to have some action. Jesse was YO-YOing irons and got slammed, not too long later he had his YT in his lap. Both fish were about 24-25 lbs. All in all, could not have asked for a better day. We slept in, relaxed, soaked in the beautiful weather, and each nailed a beauty.

Here's to you Daniel Williams, Rest In Peace brother

scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Congrats guys!

Sorry to hear about your buddies brother....Good man for taking him fishing though!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
onetriphudson

Great story, love the hammerhead block! A good reminder to make the most of the time we have.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
RookieYakker

Sorry for your loss! Ocean Therapy is tough to beat! Especially when you add two perfectly timed YT!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
RookieYakker

Oh yeah and...F*&$ Cancer!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Dirty Curti

Great to have a wing man along. Way to team up. Sorry for your loss for sure no better therapy than to get out on the water.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

FUCK CANCER!
Thanks for the thread and report.
Sorry for your buddies loss.
The reason I began kayak fishing is because my best friend was killed by cancer.
For the year preceding his death I took care of all of his personal matters including his health care decisions
I sat with him as he passed and then had to immediately get to work taking care of all of the estate's business associated with his death like listing his condo, setting up a memorial, going to banks, and all kinds of other stuff.
Everyone mourned him.... I didn't have time.
By the time everything that I promised him I'd take care of was done , a full year had passed.
I found myself feeling lost and really hating to be around people.
I wanted to get as far away from everyone as possible and thought that buying a kayak and paddling out into the ocean would give me the solitude and peace that I needed to mentally rejuvenate and mourn.
To make a long story a little shorter, it worked!!!
Experiencing for myself how being on the water can really heal was the reason that I first got involved with HEROES ON THE WATER.

My best friends name was Ted Sullivan.
He was retired FDNY
He was a lifelong fisherman
He was a veteran who was a true patriot.

I'm disappointed that he never got to experience the peace and excitement of kayak fishing and the awesome community that's involved.

He would have loved it!

FUCK CANCER!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
kayakfisherman

Rest in Peace Daniel!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Rest in Peace Daniel!!
And Ted Sullivan too.

Good people watch over their brothers, no matter how long it takes. Some wounds scab over but never fully heal. Good on you guys for being there for your friends.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
CaliHalikiller

Yes FUCK CANCER being a person who battles cancer once beat it and got it again I could really relate to this story fishing and family are the one thing that kept me positive and pushing forward and you my friend are a god send to give him both in a instant says alot about you tell him me and family send our condolences may he F.I.P (fish in peace )
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Nice and sad stories, good homie priceless
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
summers in kuwait

Really great post. Helps put things in perspective. My grandfather raised me on fishing and taught me about how peaceful it could be for the troubled mind. When he passed of lung cancer, I was pretty messed up... lost my papa and my fishing buddy.

Godspeed Daniel Williams Ted Sullivan & all the others lost too soon.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
momo fish

Great friend you are and way to go being there in his time of need. That's a true friend right there... RIP to all those we lost...sorry to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
octico

Awesome story, sorry to hear about your loss.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
jlabs63

Stand up guy. Sorry for your loss.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
swinginFish

Healing

Simply the most touching post in a long time.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote