Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
blitzburgh

FRESH ONES! 3/4 Day on the San Diego 8/11/14

Having never caught a Tuna before and with all this WFO action happening it was time for me to ditch the Kayak and jump on a 3/4 day boat for a shot at one. I made my reservation on the San Diego, a boat I've fished in the past and love. It was a full trip (51 people), but went fairly well considering the amount of renters on the boat. In general, I try to avoid the areas that crowd up on these trips and get my pick in other spots. We got a bait tank full of beautiful Sardines with a little Chovie mixed in and were off to, hell I don't know, somewhere south and west of the Coronado Islands.

Gear locked and loaded! All my fish came on the Okuma Cortez CZ-5, 65lb powerpro with 40lb floro topshot

It was greasy like this up until around 2:30pm but still stayed nice

The San Diego's RSW. The fish I took home was STUPID GOOD and that's due to the great handling by the crew and this beautiful thing. The sashimi I had this week was ridiculous...

The hat says it all as we slide by the Nado's

Tanks full o' dines

Here she is. My first Yellowfin. I had to get a shot immediately after she hit the deck, even though there was chaos all around. I like to pay tribute to the beautiful animals that I have been blessed to battle and sustain my family with. This is just on way.

Organized carnage on the way home

Two twenty-somethings

This was my 30-something kicker

As usual, the Cap't and crew of the San Diego KICKED ASS. These guys worked so hard to put us on fish and do whatever it took for people to get their share of the action. There are some really good boats to book in So Cal, I will always recommend the San Diego. It's just the the standard when it comes to 3/4 day trips. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed...GO GET YOURSELF A FRESH ONE!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Lipripper92592

Nice Haul...prep is everything for good sashimi, glad you made out good.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Widgeon

Very nice!
I'm booked on the San Diego for Tuesday.
Hoping for the same results.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Sea Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Having never caught a Tuna before and with all this WFO action happening it was time for me to ditch the Kayak and jump on a 3/4 day boat for a shot at one. I made my reservation on the San Diego, a boat I've fished in the past and love. It was a full trip (51 people), but went fairly well considering the amount of renters on the boat. In general, I try to avoid the areas that crowd up on these trips and get my pick in other spots. We got a bait tank full of beautiful Sardines with a little Chovie mixed in and were off to, hell I don't know, somewhere south and west of the Coronado Islands.

Gear locked and loaded! All my fish came on the Okuma Cortez CZ-5, 65lb powerpro with 40lb floro topshot

It was greasy like this up until around 2:30pm but still stayed nice

The San Diego's RSW. The fish I took home was STUPID GOOD and that's due to the great handling by the crew and this beautiful thing. The sashimi I had this week was ridiculous...

The hat says it all as we slide by the Nado's

Tanks full o' dines

Here she is. My first Yellowfin. I had to get a shot immediately after she hit the deck, even though there was chaos all around. I like to pay tribute to the beautiful animals that I have been blessed to battle and sustain my family with. This is just on way.

Organized carnage on the way home

Two twenty-somethings

This was my 30-something kicker

As usual, the Cap't and crew of the San Diego KICKED ASS. These guys worked so hard to put us on fish and do whatever it took for people to get their share of the action. There are some really good boats to book in So Cal, I will always recommend the San Diego. It's just the the standard when it comes to 3/4 day trips. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed...GO GET YOURSELF A FRESH ONE!
Very nice. I am going out on the Sea Watch tomorrow. Wish me the luck you had!

Janine
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Widgeon

What were they recommending for leader size?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgeon View Post
What were they recommending for leader size?

They recommended anything between 25 & 4Olb. I brought 25, 30 & 40 floro with me but fished the 40lb. all day. These fish were not line shy at all.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
They recommended anything between 25 & 4Olb. I brought 25, 30 & 40 floro with me but fished the 40lb. all day. These fish were not line shy at all.
Thanks, man.
Been hearing most guys using 20-25, so that's how I set up my two bait reels for the trip.
Probably better off to go heavier on a cattle boat, as long as the fish don't mind.
I'm bringing 20-40 fluoro leader material.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
ol'skool

Go with the 40! I went on the New Lo An (great captain and crew) last weekend on an over nighter. After an hour battle on a 20lb rig the hook pulled . I estimate the Bluefin was between 50-60 lbs We were fishing the pens...I should have known better! Still not bad tho, pulled in 3 YF and 5 YT. The YT were WFO off 3 passes on a large paddy...pandemonium
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'skool View Post
Go with the 40! I went on the New Lo An (great captain and crew) last weekend on an over nighter. After an hour battle on a 20lb rig the hook pulled . I estimate the Bluefin was between 50-60 lbs We were fishing the pens...I should have known better! Still not bad tho, pulled in 3 YF and 5 YT. The YT were WFO off 3 passes on a large paddy...pandemonium
Sounds awesome.
I'm bringing 3 rigs. Right now the leaders are 20,25 and 40.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

If the fish aren't line shy which they don't seem to be at all, I'd switch up that 20 to a 30 and have a 25/30/40. Hate to see you lose a big BFT on 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote