Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Angry Water in my boat

On my recent day-long trip out on the bay, i felt like the boat was a little heavy and had a little list. When I got back, sure enough, I had about 20 gallons (~160 lbs) in the hull of my PA 14.

now, it did get windy, and half the navy did go by including the Stennis, so i did get a lot of waves over the bow...but my fish hold only had a couple gallons in it.

I was running my bait tank, which doesn't always drain straight out the scupper, but my battery in the back hatch wasn't full of water, so i don't "THINK" it went in that way....

Anybody end up with water in their yak on a PA? Got any ideas how to track this down? I'm thinking about the following:
  • close the back hatch and run the garden hose in there for an hour to see if anything gets into the hull
  • put the boat in the pool for a couple days and see if any water comes in through some undected hole in the hull
  • ???

Ideas? Things to check? I know these things hold 600 pounds, but I'm 230 and I'm sure we're up to 400 with bait tank, batteries, gear and beer... i really don't want to carry any extra balast.

Thanks!
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote