Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
NEW YEAR, NEW PLACE, NEW FISH, NEW YOU!!!

NEW YEARS IN PARADISE Almost there, still room for YOU to join us.

26 December 2015 through 2 January 2016, last year there were WSB in the area, a 30 and 40 pounder were caught on 1st and 2nd of Jan 2015.

ANGLERS ARE:
Rossman
PapaDave
SDROB
Makobob
Mahigeer Still maybe
Baja_Traveler Almost there
MITCHELL Wants to go???
Farrola

This trip is open to any members of BWE, we will bring in the NEW YEAR in OUR NEW PLACE. We have 700sf in a building with concrete floor. Outside we have a concrete pad 16x32 feet. I hope to have a roof/shade cover over it by New Years. For now I have two pop ups 12x12 and a couple of tarps so at least it is covered. We have a 3000 watt generator and a solar system for ac and dc power. You will need to bring your chargers and power strips. You will need a jacket for the evenings and bring some firewood for campfires. I plan on eating most nights at the restaurant, but we can always cook in camp, it is just more work to clean up.

Stay a day, week or what you can. Last year Deamon, spent 3-4 days and had a ball. This will be the start of SPRING fishing and it will all be the local resident fish. Triggers, Bass, Cabrilla, Snappers, and WSB. Water temps should have dropped so I would not expect to see YT, Tuna, Dorado, however you never know. This year the Roosters have been here ALL YEAR.

If you want to join me on this trip just post here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. It is mid NOVEMBER now and the Sierra Mackerel are still WIDE OPEN. Tight Lines and Fishy Dreams.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 12-04-2015 at 04:33 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I may be ready for another road trip by then.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Yes Ross that would be good. Turkey for Thanksgiving and if I can get a few people for this maybe a pig roast or prime rib at the restaurant for NEW YEARS EVE. Or WHO wants to go and has an idea????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I may be ready for another road trip by then.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

NEW YEARS EVE party. Room for a dozen people.
Dinner at restaurant, party in camp. BYOB + what I have in camp.

Attendees are:

PapaDave
SDBOB
Rossman
Makobob
Mahigeer getting close
Baja_Traveler almost there

To be added to this list just post on this thread. This is open to every member on BWE. Not a member, no problem just join BWE it is free and only takes a few minutes. Cost of dinner and party, FREE but you will have to help clean up the next day. Happy Holidays.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 11-17-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

NEW YEARS means some of us will make a few resolutions, and some will keep them. I hope we are all able to keep our resolutions this coming year.

Mine is to live every day to the FULLEST. Every single day!!! And to help motivate others to do the same. Life is short, so many things to do. Every time we put something off means one less change to get it done. We all have dreams, to achieve them sometimes takes work. What are YOUR dreams? Incorporate them into your resolutions for 2016, visualize your dreams and make them happen.

NEW YEARS in Gonzaga should be fun, lot's of fish, good food, a few friends. I hope you can attend.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Mahigeer

Sounds very tempting.

I have to see how it goes. Little too early for me to commit yet.

Unfortunately I can’t stay for two weeks; maybe something can be worked out to share ride with two separate drivers.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Yanik94
Junior

New Year celebration in paradise!! It is just wonderful. Thanks dear for details. Last year I couldn’t celebrate NYE with my family but this year I would throw a grand party and will invite all my friends and relatives. I am looking for the best party hotel nyc that I can book in advance. Do you have any recommendations?
Yanik94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Wow your first post, wish I could help. This is a fishing get together for friends of BWE in Gonzaga Bay Baja, most of us are from Southern California, maybe some one here can direct you. Good Luck and have a great get New Years Eve get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanik94 View Post
New Year celebration in paradise!! It is just wonderful. Thanks dear for details. Last year I couldn’t celebrate NYE with my family but this year I would throw a grand party and will invite all my friends and relatives. I am looking for the best party hotel nyc that I can book in advance. Do you have any recommendations?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
taggermike

Bob, i've experienced the NE wind the upper gulf of Cali is (im)famous for 2 out of the 3 trips I've made to Gonzaga. One was merely miserable , the other could have been fatal. But it is what it is and can be the price of being in such a great location. You have much greater experience in that area than I do. For early Jan What would you estimate the ratio of fishable days to non fishable days might be? Im not looking for any sort of guarantee, obviously, but my baja fishing time is limited. Spending 3 or 4 out of 5 days hunkered down with eyes full of dust wouldn't be the best way to spend my ration of time. I might be better off shooting for a Pacific side trip or the gulf side after the major wind period. Thanks, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Mike you can be blown out anywhere, that being said, In two years it was really bad about 4 days. YOU can usually fish from the beaches or in protected coves and areas. It is fishable well over 1/2 of the time, if you have 4WD then you are 4 hours out of San Quintin. But that too can get blown out. Gonzaga itself is partially protected from the NE winds. ALSO Mike the weather forecasts for down there are pretty good. Look two weeks out and track it for about a month to get acquainted with the patterns and the accuracy. When you have to hunker down at least it is with friends and you can LEARN so much of their lives, likes, dislikes, family, and friends that it is still worth it. Dominoes, cards, or any game can make the time pass if anyone brought them along. You can always clean your tackle or sharpen your knives. TightLines. Mike, hope this helped. AND I can always do a little work around the place. Ful-rac took and used a dive mask and it worked for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Bob, i've experienced the NE wind the upper gulf of Cali is (im)famous for 2 out of the 3 trips I've made to Gonzaga. One was merely miserable , the other could have been fatal. But it is what it is and can be the price of being in such a great location. You have much greater experience in that area than I do. For early Jan What would you estimate the ratio of fishable days to non fishable days might be? Im not looking for any sort of guarantee, obviously, but my baja fishing time is limited. Spending 3 or 4 out of 5 days hunkered down with eyes full of dust wouldn't be the best way to spend my ration of time. I might be better off shooting for a Pacific side trip or the gulf side after the major wind period. Thanks, Mike

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
taggermike

Bob, thank you for your reply. I my have just had bad luck or terrible timing. And you're right, fishing is the icing on the cake on Baja trips. Chilling with homies, working on your Spanish, n eating great food is most of those experiences. Mike
Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Bob, i've experienced the NE wind the upper gulf of Cali is (im)famous for 2 out of the 3 trips I've made to Gonzaga. One was merely miserable , the other could have been fatal. But it is what it is and can be the price of being in such a great location. Thanks, Mike
Mike...Mike...Mike...

You've gotta be more like this guy...He's prepared for ANYTHING.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment[6].jpg (46.4 KB, 555 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanik94 View Post
WTF is this? Did anyone click on the link?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #14
taggermike

He was ready for the wind that's for sure. On a Baja trip years ago 1 night was way too windy to get a tent up. Sun was sinking so I put my sleeping bag right on the sand. Fell asleep with my back to the wind and a pillow in the opening of the bag. Wind howled all night. Next morning I could barely move cause I was under a little sand dune. Guess I wasn't ready. Mike
Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Harry Hill

how is it getting your kayaks down there? No trouble at the border? No special fees to get your fishing gear in?
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
how is it getting your kayaks down there? No trouble at the border? No special fees to get your fishing gear in?
I have not been there with kayak yet, but we towed a boat and a lot of fishing gear with no fees or problem.

My guess would be no problem.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Only been asked for trailer or boat registration, never been asked about kayak or fishing gear. No fees that I know of, been doing this for a few years.

Quote:

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #18
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Only been asked for trailer or boat registration, never been asked about kayak or fishing gear. No fees that I know of, been doing this for a few years.
good to hear, things can get hinky down there sometimes. What border crossing do you use?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #19
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
good to hear, things can get hinky down there sometimes. What border crossing do you use?
Depends on where I am going. Tj for the pacific side and Mexicali for the Sea of Cortez.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #20
Harry Hill

How far south of Mexicali? Where is it in relation to San Felipe?