Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Thanksgiving

Well the first pair of the Thanksgiving contingency show up this evening well before I expected them. Deamon and Romspacenut rolled into town around 4:30 . I had gone down to a local restaurant for a couple beers and a quick bite to eat thinking they would arrive after dark. Rolled back to my place at 5 to find them enjoying the view at mi casa. Unloaded, and set camp, enjoyed a fabulous sunset and we are set to hit the water in the morning.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
momo fish

Watch out for that guy.. He likes to fish at all strange hours of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
svendawg

How about a report from today so I have something to anticipate on the long drive down
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
How about a report from today so I have something to anticipate on the long drive down

Sorry Sven , didn't get the report done in time. You have probable begun your journey., or maybe this might get to you in time.
Today was one of those perfect days for fishing here in Asuncion. There was very little wind all morning and that changed to virtually no wind for the rest of the day. Jim was an animal and stayed out from dawn til dusk while Robert and I were on shore by 1 He was rewarded late in the day with a beautiful 16 pound Leopard grouper. The first one I have seen here. I was a bit disappointed with the fishing while the others were quite happy with the results. We managed 4 yellows, one being nice 25 pound specimen the rest rats. There were a few Sierra caught, a couple skipjack , and of course boatloads of the ubiquitous bass. We fish Isla Asuncion yesterday and will head for San Roque today.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 11-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Monday, Jim Robert and I launched at San Roque and paddled to the island. Fairly slow day at San Roque. Total of 4 yellows caught where I have caught 90 percemt of my yellows since i got here. Another flat calm day with temps in the 80s.
The Makobob bus rolled in at about 4:30 PM with Bob Sven and Jeff aboard. Richard and Kevin arrived about midnight after a day of fishing at Punta Baja on the way down.
Sven Richard Kevin and I launched locally on Tuesday and paddled about 3 miles to a high spot south of Isla Asuncion. Quite a bit of action out there today with a total of 32 yellows caught. Still no trophies but plenty of action. Sven was high MA with 21 yellows, most with a home made lure made from the handle of a butter knife which will be declared illegal in Mexico if I have any to say about it. Highlight of the day was a humpback breaching about 30 yards from us. Lowlight of the day was Richard's hand and and a Yellowtail ''s mouth hooked on the same Rapala.
A wonderful meal of tri tip and bean soup prepared by Jim.
— Herman Melville

Old 11-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Finding some quality yellows continues to be a problem here in Asuncion. Yesterday our fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies hit the spot where 4 of us landed in excess of 30 yellows the day before. The area was void of the right kind and pretty disappointing. We were treated to three more close by humpback breaches with one swimming within 20 yards of Kevins Hobie. While everyone headed back to the ramp, I decided to take a road less traveled and hit one more spot on the other side of the island. That spot was on fire and managed to land 7 YT and 2 skipjack in a little over an hour, including this nice 45 incher.P1000697~2.jpg
— Herman Melville

Old 11-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
momo fish

"fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies" haha! Still hating I see...

Post some more when you can, looks like better fishing than what we have up here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Finding some quality yellows continues to be a problem here in Asuncion. Yesterday our fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies hit the spot where 4 of us landed in excess of 30 yellows the day before. The area was void of the right kind and pretty disappointing. We were treated to three more close by humpback breaches with one swimming within 20 yards of Kevins Hobie. While everyone headed back to the ramp, I decided to take a road less traveled and hit one more spot on the other side of the island. That spot was on fire and managed to land 7 YT and 2 skipjack in a little over an hour, including this nice 45 incher.Attachment 17542

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
MrPukaShell

Looking forward to the pics of your Thanksgiving feast. Have a great day guys
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Despite the predicted high winds and swell, Sven, Kevin, Richard and I hit the water early on Black Friday. Turned out to be a decent day with lots of action on Yellowtail, sierra and bass. I managed to catch a gorgeous 27 lb Leopard grouper. Sorry for the dirty camera lens. I had not caught a grouper here in Asuncion since I got here and this week we got two. Richard landed a nice 35 pound Yellowtail.

P1000701~2.jpg
— Herman Melville

Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Gulf grouper. Nice one. I'm envious. Bet it ate well.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
tattuna

Actually, that's a broomtail grouper. Nice one! Looks like an amazing fishery.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Zed
BANNED

It could be. But I cant believe confusing a broom w a leopard. And w/o a tail shot we cant tell.
Slacker photogs.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
Deamon

Well...I'm back.

Ross...MAN's house on the beach is...is...unbelievable.
Rossman is a very, very gracious host and a very good cook!
ROSSMAN kicked my ass in fishing for the yellow kind.
rossman might be holding his best spots to himself...

The Punta Asuncion area is an unbelievable fishery. As many 2-6# calico's as I wanted on that first day...mucho. Monster Sheeps biting the Megabait (not 20 pounders though). Nearby shark tooth fossil site...free abandoned puppies. Ross' porch view sunsets that were on fire...

Parts of this story may be fictitious. But if someone were interested in a 3 mos. old puppy with an incredible temperament and spirit, let me know.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0516[1].jpg (28.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.jpg (105.4 KB, 197 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Zed
BANNED

Classic.
I think its a keeper.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Ross...MAN's house on the beach is...is...unbelievable.
Rossman is a very, very gracious host and a very good cook!
ROSSMAN kicked my ass in fishing for the yellow kind.
rossman might be holding his best spots to himself...

The Punta Asuncion area is an unbelievable fishery. As many 2-6# calico's as I wanted on that first day...mucho. Monster Sheeps biting the Megabait (not 20 pounders though). Nearby shark tooth fossil site...free abandoned puppies. Ross' porch view sunsets that were on fire...

Parts of this story may be fictitious. But if someone were interested in a 3 mos. old puppy with an incredible temperament and spirit, let me know.

Jim
Well, guess I can not go to Asuncion. Would probably bring home a car load of dogs. Ha! Nice going sir. I am sure your pooch thinks you are quite a hero. Very cool bro!
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Can someone post pictures of the fossilized sharks teeth you are finding?
Were they Megalodon's that were present in that area?

(that would have been exciting to see from a kayak)
Old 11-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
It could be. But I cant believe confusing a broom w a leopard. And w/o a tail shot we cant tell.
Slacker photogs.
From the for what it's worth department, got an expat here with a masters in marine biology and he says definitely a broom tail without seeing the tail. Don't know how.
— Herman Melville

Last edited by rossman; 11-30-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
From the for what it's worth department, got an expat here with a masters in marine biology and he says definitely a broom tail without seeing the tail. Don't know how.
You can tell from the pattern on the body.

Broomtail

Gulf

Leopard

Pinto Bass or "True Cabrilla" depending on who you ask

Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #20
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Once again Charles has stumbled on to the truth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
— Herman Melville