Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Vikingj

PVC bait cylinder vs. wire bait cage

With bug season just around the corner I was looking for some new options and thought I’d get a couple of those cool looking, sealion-proof, Promar bait tubes. I was quickly discouraged by the $20 price and decided to make my own. Made 4 for about $30 ($7.50 each) and added clips I already had. Made the tube 7” (1/2” longer than Promar) and drilled larger holes (1/2” and 5/8”). I averaged about 45 min a piece to drill the 40 holes and assemble each tube. The tube will hold about 50 cubic inches of bait while the 6” wire bait cage holds about 100 cubic inches. I have never used the tubes before so it will be fun to try something new and test some of the following assumptions: PVC tube advantages?: more sealion resistant, compact storage (yak & freezer), holds smaller pieces of bait (sardines/anchovies), bait last longer/increase feeding time, long lasting containers. Wire cage advantages?: less expensive, holds 2x the bait. Have you tried the tube? What pros & cons did you find?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0335.jpg (88.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (79.8 KB, 151 views)
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Tubes are the way to go. In a perfect world without seals, bait cages would be better...but since we do have seals.....
Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
JeffB

If you wanna make your nets seal proof there is one way good way to do it. Add a piece of wire mesh to the top and bottom of the mesh pouch at the bottom of the net, then feed your bait from the bottom of it. There is no possible way for the seals to get into it. I usually just cut the old one off, but you do not have to.

First yr my nets got destroyed by seals and eels. So I went to a bait cage, they still got beat up. Not only that by adding a bait tube and/ or cage it elevates your bait from the bottom of the cage. By simply adding the metal mesh to the bottom your bait now lays flat on the bottom. Not elevated and no way for a seal to get a hold of it.

I've been using this technique for 4yrs now. Never lost a bait or had my mesh damaged.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Teambcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
If you wanna make your nets seal proof there is one way good way to do it. Add a piece of wire mesh to the top and bottom of the mesh pouch at the bottom of the net, then feed your bait from the bottom of it. There is no possible way for the seals to get into it. I usually just cut the old one off, but you do not have to.

First yr my nets got destroyed by seals and eels. So I went to a bait cage, they still got beat up. Not only that by adding a bait tube and/ or cage it elevates your bait from the bottom of the cage. By simply adding the metal mesh to the bottom your bait now lays flat on the bottom. Not elevated and no way for a seal to get a hold of it.

I've been using this technique for 4yrs now. Never lost a bait or had my mesh damaged.

Have a pic?
Teambcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
TroutBum

^^^^ X2
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Reelist

Make that three.
Reelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Saba Slayer

Jim Day

Jim...Where's a picture of your bait pocket metal cover?
Viking..that's genius...too bad Promar didn't think to make something exactly like that tube!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 09-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Nic D

nice work

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
JeffB

I'll post up,pix tomorrow. Everyone who fishes with me has swapped over to the same technique. Try taking a bit of your hand with the palm facing your mouth. You really can't do it. Turn it side ways and its no problem. Plus the bait lays flat on the bottom.

This is the material that I use....

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-...830/202183496/

Last edited by JeffB; 09-21-2014 at 05:16 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote