Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Not an April Fools Prank

I was planning on writing an entertaining, (if not factual), April Fools Day fishing report after going out this morning. It turns out that the events that actually happened today might be more entertaining than anything I could make up.

First to the fishing report. It was beautiful on the water. A little bumpy and breezy outside but still quite comfortable. I got skunked again as usual but I saw two huge WSB on the beach and heard about another one. I also saw a guy with a whopper of a YT strapped to the back of his kayak. I will leave the details about these fish to folks who caught them.

The good news is that there appears to be some nice fish out there for those skillful enough to catch them. The semi-good news is that there is lots of bait out there as well. So much bait that I bet that many of the target fish have gorged themselves to the point that they are not going to be all that hungry.

Bait was boiling everywhere for hours this morning. The birds were working from the air. Dolphins and seals were thrashing around all over the place. Something must have been driving the bait to the surface but I did not see any telltail marks on the FF.

One of the great things about fishing La Jolla is that it seems that I always see something new when I go out. Today was no exception. Seeing acres of boiling bait was something new for me but the following story is even more interesting.

I met a couple of guys today named Mike and Clarence. Mike rides a Pro-Angler, Clarence was on a paddle kayak. The action was slow so I watched as Mike reeled in a small greenie that he snagged on some iron. The greenie was only a bit larger than the lure. He pinned the mac on his bait rig and sent it back down.

Within a few minutes, I looked over and noticed that Mike was hooked up big time. He had a pretty heavy rod which was bent about as far as it would go. Whatever he had hooked was taking line at will. It was a very big fish.

Name:  Mike is hooked up-1.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  160.0 KB

A number of other yakfishers cruised over to watch Mike fight this fish. Everyone was handing out opinions as to what it was... WSB? BSB? Thresher? Lobster cage? North Korean Submarine? Whatever it was, it was the super-sized version.

About 20 minutes into the fight, Mike had the fish straight below him in about 60 feet of kelp infested water. Mike was getting worn out, the fish... not so much. All of a sudden the fish started circling Mike's Prangler. Mike moved the rod from one side of the boat to the other as the fish turned him in circles. Then it happened.

While Mike was in an awkward position, the fish bolted away from the boat at warp speed. Mike was caught off balance and did something that I thought was impossible. He flipped his Pro Angler and found himself in the 60 degree water.

Somehow he managed to hang on to the rod. Clarence quickly came to the rescue and grabbed the rod from Mike before it slipped out of his hands. While Mike climbed back into his kayak, Clarence took over the fight.

Name:  Clarence puts on the brakes.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  137.7 KB

At this time, the fish decided that it wanted to head west as fast as it could, with Clarence in tow. Clarence's kayak was putting out a significant wake. I clocked them at 4mph. The fish was taking line all this time.
After a sleigh ride of about 10 minutes, Clarence handed the rod back to Mike. By this time there was a small crowd of onlookers cheering Mike on. He pulled and pulled. The fish pulled back, taking line as if Mike was not there.

Name:  Mike is hooked up-2.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  171.5 KB

After another 15 or 20 minutes, Mike had the fish back to the boat. It was straight down again but appeared to be getting tired. Slowly, Mike started making progress. The fish was coming up. Everyone had their eyes on the water looking for color.

After a while, I heard Mike say softly, "I think the fish is off". He reeled in the limp 40 pound mono which had broken off near the hook. You could see the disappointment in everyone's face. Bummer!

So for your April Fools Day enjoyment we have a story about one that got away. I have seen a lot of big fish being fought over the years. Given the amount of bend in Mike's rod and the speed at which it towed Clarence out to sea, this thing had to be huge. We all would have liked to at least caught a glimpse of this monster but even without without the money shot, the foreplay was very entertaining to watch.

I almost forgot to mention this. I saw no bees out there today.

Until next time.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 04-01-2011 at 08:43 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
TCS

Nice story.

Don't see any power boats in the background. Looks nice and quiet.

Won't be like that tomorrow.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Nic D

thanks for the report and photos

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Mike was caught off balance and did something that I thought was impossible. He flipped his Pro Angler and found himself in the 60 degree water.
Was he seated or up, off the seat?
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Rav3n805

Thank's for the report, I also got the skunk today there was sooo much bait out today !!!
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Croaker Dave

He forgot to buckle his fighting chair.

I heard the commotion but didn't know what was going on.

Besides being skunked myself, I didn't see anyone else catch anything. Somehow I missed all the action. I wonder where they were catching them at?
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I better buy my parking pass online tonight I think they are getting bigger Bob!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
I better buy my parking pass online tonight I think they are getting bigger Bob!
For some they are getting bigger, not for me lately. Good luck tomorrow.

Bob
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
ODOGFISH

ha ha ha ha ... maybe it was a N. korean sub ... dude most have been off the seat or all twisted up in it to turn over that prangler ... good read & pics

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it

Oscar
ODOGFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
WahooUSMA

As always, a very cool and entertaining read from you, Bob! I wonder if Mike and clarence are the same and Clarence that work at Bass Pro?

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

How did the PA get righted? that beast is HEAVY dry and unladen.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Another fine story Bob.

I saw Ron (Paintfish) fight a good sized thresher for a good half hour. Sitting on his rod at times with his drag buttoned down. Turned out he was tail hooked at the very tip of the tail which gave him very little control of the situation.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
How did the PA get righted? that beast is HEAVY dry and unladen.
The kayak did not turtle. It went sideways enough to dump Mike and anything else that was not tied down.

One of the good features about a Pro Angler is that there is lots of in-hull storage. Mike had everything secured below deck. His other rod had snagged on some kelp earlier and had already been handed off to his buddy so there was nothing in the cockpit to get tossed overboard... except for Mike.

Bob
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #14
-scallywag-
Banned

Ha, those guys must've harvested the wrong shark in the past.

I agree with Greg.....that was a tail hooked T for sure. Be careful out there, and remember to back that drag off when you get any fish close to the boat!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
blackcloud9
Kayaker

There were a number of T's hooked yesterday that I heard about. Sharky.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 04-04-2011 at 06:25 AM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The kayak did not turtle. It went sideways enough to dump Mike and anything else that was not tied down.

One of the good features about a Pro Angler is that there is lots of in-hull storage. Mike had everything secured below deck. His other rod had snagged on some kelp earlier and had already been handed off to his buddy so there was nothing in the cockpit to get tossed overboard... except for Mike.

Bob
Good to hear that no gear was lost, just some pride. Its not if your going to get tossed but when.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
Mike L
Junior

Not an April Fools Prank

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the article and the pictures. It was almost as much fun reading it as it was living it! Now my friends and family have something else to laugh at me about! Hope to see you out there again.

Mike Lopez
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Hey Bob,
Thanks for the article and the pictures. It was almost as much fun reading it as it was living it! Now my friends and family have something else to laugh at me about! Hope to see you out there again.

Mike Lopez
Mike, you and Clarence handled yourselves very well during your big adventure. No one should be laughing at you. You now have a great fish story for the grand kids down the road. I just wish we could have seen what you hooked.

If you want full resolution versions of these photos for your scrap book please PM me with your email address.

Bob
Old 04-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
rollzroy
royce

Send a message via Yahoo to rollzroy
Thumbs up hell of a fight

Hey bob,

Very nice pics, and story, I was there with you in the middle of all that in the blue ocean prowler!!
rollzroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #20
walrus

Bob,

These type of post are great, it helps us all learn.

Thanks.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote