Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
caddisx
caddisx

Fishing Reel Dilemma

Ok… so here is my dilemma. I have been a spin caster all my life. Grew up spin casting on Lake San Marcos and the Sierras then moved to the ocean. I have caught big bass, trout, mahi and yellowtail on my spin casters. I have fished consistently for 35 years… for me it has always been a spinning reel on California waters. The only time I have ever changed reels was moving to Montana to Fly Fish. Brings me to today… I have read many of the threads about the pros of a conventional reel and the cons of a spinning. I think I am ready for a change or at the point I can give a conventional a shot. Wife has said she will get me a new reel for the birthday. (actually she said “I think it is stupid you want another reel when you already have 20 hanging in the Garage.” but I digress) I am looking for a reel I can start with for the most part trolling or fly lining bait and maybe cast a little. I fish quite a bit of NPH and Crystal Cove and will mostly be targeting butts with this combo. What I am hoping for is a solid recommendation. I have been looking at either an Avet SX or a Daiwa Saltist (that is top price range). That said, I am not even sure what I need to be focusing on. Add to that, I will need a rod as well but if I drop that on the wife I run the risk of not getting the reel. Any help is very welcome.