Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 12-10-15

Launched about 7:30 to a light offshore and lots of clouds. It wasn't cold either. When I left my house my feet and hands were super cold, but I got to the harbor and paddled out with only a windbreaker and PFD on. Water was 65.5º and VERY clear. Current was pretty much nil as high tide was about 8:00.

Started off on the buoy line, but didn't get any bites. Slowly worked myself across to the right side of the main channel and fished the little grass that's there and the drop off. FF battery died (guess it doesn't ike sitting with a 1/2 charge for weeks on end). Finally, at about 8:30 I got a nicer grade sandy, about 3lbs. It was my first bite. Moved over to the moored boats on the other side and got a few bites, but nothing stuck. Watched something I've never seen before too. The Harbor Patrol was moving boats that were moored on the buoy line over with the rest of the moored boats. Then I picked off a legal spotty off a mooring line. By then the current was picking up and I moved back to the channel drop off on the island side and managed a few more bites, but that was it. Finished with a couple of drifts on the buoy line and called it a day at 10:00.

Hot baits (hehehe) were a 4" Redfish Toad Paddlerz on a 3/8oz red Warbait head, and a 1/2oz green slip jig with a Mr T skirt and 5" Houdini Paddlerz. Hot Sauce was used for flavor.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
ROSSOLY

thanks ed for the report. was curious about what is going on w nph lately. did you see any yakers go out of the harbor?
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Amish Ed

No other yakers, paddle boarders, or rowers and only a few private boats. It was nice and quiet
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
No other yakers, paddle boarders, or rowers and only a few private boats. It was nice and quiet
thanks for the report Ed, I think that drop off right in front of the Coast Guard is a good spot also.

It think next week I'll go down and pick up that Ocean Kayak, I need to get a couple of rod holders put on it so I don't have to troll with the rod between my legs.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Good choice. You'll be happy with it. And yes, that drop off can be pretty good.