Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

What am I Missing Hummingbird 161?

Hello,

Hello one more, I am in the middle of installing my fish finder, and I am trying to figure out how to run my bait tank and FF at the same time.

I have one battery with one connection and i have two devices that need power. I have a bait tank on a timer switch that connects to the battery via the plug and i have a hummingbird 161 that will be connected to a inline fuse to a plug.

As it stands now, I need to disconnect one to power the other.

B.W.E How do i power both?

Thank You

wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
jorluivil

Easy fix.....get a second battery. 12volt for your FF and a 6volt for your bait tank....thats the norm with most yakkers. I doubt a single battery will have enough juice to power two devices for more than 2 -3 hours.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
wiseguy

yup! you need two separate batteries. 6v for the bait tank and 12v for the FF.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
tagyak

6v???

yes, two batteries, but since you have your bait tank on a timer switch, you can use a 12v battery. the 6v battery are recommended for those who don't have a timer on their setup.

also you can use a dry bag to store the other battery. they are cheaper than buying another dry box.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

I had an XFactor for my first boat, and I did run both the meter and the bait tank with one battery, it does work but only a few hours, same set up you are showing, better to run two batteries like everyone said...no fun when you are in em and then the meter dies
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
INGRIDSDAD

I ran this same setup on my x-factor a couple years ago and you will have a tough time with the bait tank flush mount battery connection. Make sure you use alot of dielctric gease because that area is always getting wet.

If i did it again i would have the battery hard wired and attached to the bait tank,(good use for the pelican box) and have another battery in a bag up front for the FF.

Looks like a sweet ride.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
wiredantz

Thanks for the replies.

I will go to radio shack and pick a battery connector for my second battery and pick up a dry bag.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

2 Batteries seems to be the ticket. After being out on the water like I was yesterday I learned that you for sure need one to power the FF and one for the bait tank. Had I used one battery for both I would have lost both before the end of the day.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
wiredantz

X-factor transducer location

Thanks for the replies, it took me 4 hours to finish setting up everything with 2 batteries. I tested everything out and everything turns on.

I ended putting the transducer under the a piece of foam that supports my x-factor seat. I figured since its the lowest part of the kayak, i would just put some water in there and it "should" read fine.

we will see...

I really had a hard time trying to find a good place to set the transducer on the x-factor.

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-13-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: new title
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
wiredantz

I tested the transducer under the foam bad under the seat and with about 2 cups of water it worked GREAT!!!! just FYI