Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Aaron

2.5 day mothership trip

Hello All,

So I was slotted to go on the western outdoors news mothership trip this weekend. Yeah I know, sorry OEX. but the first mothership trip i went on with WON 3 years ago, I walked away with a rod/reel combo from okuma as well as a wilderness systems tarpon 140. Needless to say, i feel a little obligated to be loyal and have been on their charters since. Plus they are a good group of guys.

Anyways, this weekend's trip was cancelled due to weather which has me thoroughly bummed. I've been counting the days to this one. They rescheduled for the end of May but I'm at a conference so can't make it. Had to get a refund.

So I decided to find the silver lining in this cloud... I'm booked every weekend through June except for one weekend...Turns out that weekend corresponds with the 2.5 day that OEX is chartering (May 20-23). Told the wife that if I didn't make this one that I would be bummed until next year. She gave me the quick go ahead (I'm a lucky man) and needless to say, I'm all signed up! Its good when you can find a way to rationalize adding a day onto your trip to your wife.

So anybody else going? I wouldn't mind knowing some names when I get on the boat. My name is Aaron. I'm going to try to talk a friend into going but I'm pretty sure I'll be riding solo. I'll be the guy about 30 with the grin from ear to ear. I know its a month away, but I'm stoked.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

I can sympathize. I was the first to sign up on the Lebowitz 6-day in June & it cancelled. So I have a week off in June to fill.

Hmmm......
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Socalrobt

What's up Aaron. I will be going on that trip. I can't wait. I am working on getting all my gear ready to go. See You on the boat.
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Socalrobt

Oh ya my name is Robbie. I have a camo trident 15.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Aaron

If I made up my mind to do that 6 day mothership and it got cancelled, I'd still be in tears. The pictures that I saw from the previous trip just looked epic.

I've been doing gear "refurbishing" and "revamping" the last few weeks. I have a malibu x-factor and decided to redo the wiring and connectors. I also decided to build a new rod while I was waiting for goop to dry. The dining room and garage were both dominated a disaster until a few days ago with getting this stuff together, now it turns out I have another month. Oh well. Looking forward to the 2.5 day. You got any "plan" for the days? Friggin 2 days at clemente on the yak, just stoked.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Hunters Pa

Was thinking of doing multiple days at multiple spots along the coast. - Bu, Cabrillo, Dana & LJ

Also have some stuff to do around the house & want to build a new workbench to facilitate rod wrapping - been doing that off & on for a looooong time. I also have a skiff that I am a little over halfway through rewiring so that needs finished too.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Aaron

This post is pretty worthless without pics, but I built my rod wrapping table when I lived in an apartment and thus space was a huge issue. I bought a kit online that had the sewing machine motor, switches (foot pedal and rotary switch), pulleys, rollers, and a few other odds and ends. I think the kit was aroung 70 bucks. You really need AT LEAST an 8 foot table and having that as a permanent fixture in my apartment wasn't going to happen. I was twenty and having that stuff out was a good way to insure never getting laid. So I made my table using MDF and basically cut it in half and hinged it. It has a length of 1x1 L angle that runs the length of it that was cut in half as well. The legs of the table all have hanger bolts that go through the table top and wing nuts that secure them in place. In short, all of my rod building stuff fits EASILY in the closet and can be put up pretty easily when I decide to build another rod. If you're interested in the setup, I can post some pics. If not, I won't!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Aaron

This is so close now I can taste it! Any details on the trip?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Socalrobt

I just spoke with OEX regarding this trip. There are 9 signed up and they need at least 6 more people to make it happen. So if anyone wants to jump on give OEX a call. Let's make this happen. The Islander crew is the best! They also mentioned getting more freedivers to go, so if you know of any freedivers that want to go tell them to call OEX asap! Thank you.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Aaron

I called, got the story, came on here and saw you already told it!

I will be beyond bummed if this does not go. It would mean MS trip #2 cancelled for me in a month which is an absolute heartbreaker. So I will promote!

They said that this will possibly go with 13. So only 4 more needed. If you have the weekend open, you MUST go. The islander is an amazing boat and the guys run a top notch operation. I am not a sportboat groupie that will say that "the boat and food was amazing" when a captain sleeps until noon and you get greasy, boiled hamburgers for lunch. This operation really has their stuff in order. The food is amazing. Last time I did this, the chef (not a cook) made a carrot cake...FROM SCRATCH. He also made us a seafood pasta...FROM SCRATCH. The guy on the zodiak was there within minutes with beers/food/bait whenever you asked for it (and now they have TWO zodiaks). And the bunks are friggin state rooms! I refuse to go on a mothership on any other boat and these guys get a bunch of my money when I go out during the summer.

And not to mention TWO FULL DAYS OF FISHING AT THE ISLAND. So much time to throw the iron, pound the sand, work the kelp, and drop on the rocks. I'm vibrating I'm so excited. I know its expensive, and believe me, pulling this off is WAYYYYY pushing it for me. But oh well, that extra cash will mean nothing in a month but thinking about my two days at the island will last me through at least next year.

CLASSIC STORY to show you how dedicated this boat is...My first mothership about 4 (?) years ago, this guy on the boat had just climbed into his yak and the islander crew handed him his gear. He began to paddle away and decided the bottom of his yak needed a tan...flipped it. 2 accurate reels, 1 trinidad, all reels on calstar rods, straight to the bottom. He was bummed. He grabbed some other gear and headed off. Captain said, "No problem." Put on his SCUBA gear and dove in. All rods and reels recovered, no questions asked nor any big show put on about it. I've been on boats that if you were to drop a rod in the bait receiver, the captain wouldn't reach down and grab it for you. Needless to say, top notch and they make you feel like you're top notch as well.

Anyways, this is an amazing experience to be had. They are trying to get a couple freedivers, but still, think of it as an added bonus that the boat will have a limited load! I'm sorry to sound like a salesman, I don't do this stuff but as I said when I started this post, I've been looking forward to this trip because I know it will be a blast. Give OEX a call. I'll buy you a beer if you do (now I'm pandering!).
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
jorluivil

Can't wait to see the report.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
Socalrobt

Aaron you hit it right on the head. The Islander is a professioanlly ran business that takes care of its fisherman aka customers! Only 4 more. Come on everyone. Who ever can make it, join Us for a trip you will never forget!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

When I was on the Islander a few years ago I did an idiot roll. Only rod that was not leashed was a Graphite USA I had wrapped with a Penn GTI on it. Went to the bottom in over 100 feet. Not bummed about the reel, REALLY bummed about the stick. Zodiac marked the spot on the GPS & the Dive master on the trip went down.

not long after here he comes. The reflective thread I had used caught his dive light. Class act, all the way around. They have it figured out how to do the MS trips.

Crap, what time does it leave on Thurs? & return on Sun?

And which OEX office do I call once I (hopefully) secure the kitchen pass?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
Socalrobt

OEX mission bay 619-866-6129. I think it leaves around 9:00pm on thursday and comes back on Sunday morning at 6:30am.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Aaron

Hunters...you gotta go man, you missed out on your Lebowitz 6 day so you already have the excuse!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Hunters Pa

The hard part is going to be getting there & loaded by 9 p.m. I live in La Mirada & work in Huntington beach. I may have to load up Wed night to make it happen.

Planted the seed with the boss at home, will follow up later this afternoon when I have a chance to confirm details with OEX. I already have Friday off so work is a non-issue.

- Shawn
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
Aaron

Awesome Shawn, I owe you a cold one if ya can get on. If not, we'll have to share a cold one some time at the shores. I used to live in La Mirada. Right behind Neff Park.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Hunters Pa

Target start boarding & loading is 6 p.m. If I can do this I'll need to load up Weds night & head down straight from work.

Fortunately the forecast at SCI is sunny. Unfortuinately forecast at SCI is windy. But the leeward side should give us enough windshadow.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Hunters Pa

I'm in! Gotta start gathering up my gear & charging batteries.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Aaron

Hunters, super weird but he called me about 20 minutes ago to say this is cancelled??? Maybe it changed in the last few minutes? I'm sure hoping so!!1