Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
wade

MEXICAN DORADO...

Each year thousands of tons of fish are illegally harvested from Mexican water and shipped to the United States of America. It is all illegal on both sides of the border. Corrupt Mexican officials are paid lots of money to look the other way and allow illegal fisherman to rape and pillage the Sea of Cortez. It must stop.First and foremost I would like to thank Thalassa FranceTV3 for sending the producer of this documentary, Stephan Poulle to Mexico so he could help me tell the story of how the greed and corruption of a few are helping to destroy the last relatively abundant fish that are left in the Sea of Cortes. I have never been able to get not one American journalist to write not even one paragraph about this in America. Just to let everyone know I was provided a copy of this production which will be dubbed into French. Since I do not know what form the French Narrative would take I decided to simply make my own narration. I also added some shots of my own at the beginning and at the end. 99% of the images were edited by Thallasa. The narration is my own. The original video can be watched on the 14th of April until the 24th of April at the following link. It will be dubbed into french and will have a different narrative but I suspect the story will not change much. Please take note for me the best part of the documentary starts out at the 13 minute mark where Stephan interviews the second most powerful man in Mexico regarding fisheries. The look on his face…… Well just watching that made it all worth while!! This story is about how the Department of Mexican Fisheries has decided to violate their own laws by allowing the commercial fishing industry to illegally harvest dorado, often called mahi mahi or dolphin fish. Two years ago I produced a documentary called El Oro de Cortez. You can watch our documentary in spanish or English here on this same web site. How do we know Mexican officials are corrupt. Go to this link and you can see the letter that I was provided with by NOAA. Since I have been threatening to sue NOAA over all this they really have tried to be transparent in there dealings with me. They provide me with a letter written to the head of Conapesca, Roman Corral. Asking the simple question is it or is it not illegal to fish and export dorado in Mexico. Again the details of this letter are at this link. Mexican officials have never responded. We even published this letter in one of the biggest news papers in the country La Reforma in Mexico city. Still no response. So where do we stand right now? I can tell you that I have filed a FOIA, freedom of information act petition through lawyers at the Center for biological diversity , in San Francisco. What I hope is that we could obtain all the information that NOAA has amassed regarding this issue and then file an injunction in a federal court demanding that illegally harvested fish from Mexcio no longer be allowed to enter the United States of America. To this date we have been unable to get any big NGO from the united states on board with us. I hope that this documentary will change all of that.

http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=1...on%20%20battle

&

http://sancarlos.tv/portfolio/a-fish-made-of-gold/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZstAP...layer_embedded

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
jorluivil

Great documentary.

I fished La Paz (Bahia La Ventana) in 2008 and this was the biggest complaint from the pangeros. Most openly complained about how the Mexican Government allowed their own laws to be broken as long as the money was right. Fishing trawlers were allowed to target, catch and keep as they pleased. Some trawlers were allowed to drag their nets as close as 3miles from the coast.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

This has been going on for years. Like he stated they are single handedly killing their industry. They almost wiped out the Totuava and now that fish is starting to make a come back, however I have witness illegal actions with those also. I use to fish with a guide down in San Felipe that when we brought these fish aboard I was told they were WSB so I was excited about that. Then he processed them and stuck the filets in my cooler, all the other fish waited until we got back to the beach. I did a search on the internet after that trip about fishing in San Felipe and realized what we caught and that it was not legal to do so. Needless to say I do not fish with that guide anymore. He put myself and my fishing group in danger of being fined and I did not like that. This was back in 2001, I know they have allowed some guides to purchase permits to keep 2 totuava a day, but I will not keep any if I don't know they have the permits.

I truly hope that this documentary does what it's intended to do and I hope the American government gets with the act and starts preventing this now.

Do you need us to help post this to get the awareness out?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
tight lines

WOW !!! Thanks for sharing .
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
dorado50

I think the us government needs to clean up it's own corrupt and filthy backyard before it dictates how other countries should run there governments. Boycott Mexican dorado sold here in U.S. Is a start....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
JOSER85

MEXICAN DORADO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I think the us government needs to clean up it's own corrupt and filthy backyard before it dictates how other countries should run there governments. Boycott Mexican dorado sold here in U.S. Is a start....
I 100% agree. The bad thing they will then move to another species and then wipe them out.

But it guess ever country is the same.
Asia does the sames with Rhino, Tigers, Gorillas
JOSER85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
maui jim

No more Rubio's and Baja Fresh fish tacos......