Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Warmurphy
Junior

LJ 3-8-17

First time out this year in the salt and for 5+ years. New to me kayak from Obed.

Launched at 6:45 approx paddled out and made one big mac in 80ft. Trolled that around for a while until a dog decided he wanted it and pulled it off. Had it in my rocket launcher. Gave som good hard pulls before I could get it in my lap. Pulled me around for a minute or so before the final tug.

Now for the fun bit.

I turn to grab my sabiki setup and over I go for a swim. In the water go to grab my rods and one went down into the drink. The rocket launcher must have been damaged when that dog grabbed the mac and started pulling.

Two guys come over to help me back in. I forget their names but please chime in guys. I really appreciate it! I am really bad with names.

Paddle around trying to make bait. No luck. Time to head back in to get to work.

On the way in saw lots of bait on the bottom at 85-75 feet on my FF. Told a couple guys about it that were paddling out.

So! If anyone pulls up a andres classic rod with a Shimano TLD star 40 with a rocket launcher attached, let me know so I can tell you Merry Christmas. It has a fresh load of 65lb power pro braid. Hope you enjoy it! Time for a new live bait setup.

Lessons learned:
Attach leashes to kayak instead of launchers.
Go a little slower when reaching back for a rod.
Floating plano boxes are the best.

Water was a nice 60 degrees. Good swim. Good paddle. Great morning.

First post too!
Warmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Deamon

WM...you're going to fit in just fine around here...Welcome to the madness of a "less costly" sport, lol. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Awesome first post... it takes a real man to admit to the "learning curve". Stay at it, and keep buying "less costly" gear... it happens to the best of us.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Warmurphy
Junior

New live bait setup is going to be a Torium 14 I just bought on clearance from Turners and a seeker 870-7 that is waiting for me down at squidco at show price. Should work a lot better than my old setup. Maybe do a smooth drag upgrade to it and be good to go.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Deamon

Guys like Dannowar never roll their yaks in the surf... Real men like me put the reels in a bag anticipating a roll whenever waves are big. This way, the Torium won't rot out on the inside...while still looking great on the outside, lol. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

It damage your rod holder ? Just curious you weren't trolling with in gear were you
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
DPevin

I have been so close to going over a few times. Esp in my shitty unstable cheapo kayak hah. Always good for a quick rush. I've only been at this for about a year now. Just waiting for it to happen. Then again I haven't done a surf launch yet....so I have that to look forward to.

Kinda like riding a motorcycle...its not if you flip, but when, how bad and how many times hah.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Guys like Dannowar never roll their yaks in the surf... Real men like me put the reels in a bag anticipating a roll whenever waves are big. This way, the Torium won't rot out on the inside...while still looking great on the outside, lol. Jim

im batting .999 baby
Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Warmurphy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
It damage your rod holder ? Just curious you weren't trolling with in gear were you
Was in gear. Simple mistake from not being on the water in a long time.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmurphy View Post
Was in gear. Simple mistake from not being on the water in a long time.
aaaah got it newb j/k live and learn
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #11
TJones

Heck,

I thought a big 40 lb yellow might have pulled you in. . I fished hard . Well into the afternoon. Not a single bite. Must have been around 15:00-1530 when I landed. I would have liked to seen the sunset on water, but was exhausted. Only saw one brief hook set and lost fish.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Warmurphy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I thought a big 40 lb yellow might have pulled you in. . I fished hard . Well into the afternoon. Not a single bite. Must have been around 15:00-1530 when I landed. I would have liked to seen the sunset on water, but was exhausted. Only saw one brief hook set and lost fish.
Thanks for helping me!

At least it was a great day. I should have kept my mac and went back in haha

See you out there next time.