Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
mike holding
Junior

Fishing kayak needed

I am planning to gift my wife a fishing kayak so that we can go together. I already have Malibu X-factor kayak for myself. She is new to kayaking and i don't think she will be able to handle a heavy kayak on her own. I have found Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem sit-on-top kayak and ocean kayak frenzy for beginners that i think she can handle all by herself. Any recommendation will help.
mike holding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
monstahfish

The issue with a short boat is that it won't paddle well. I would go with at least 11 foot depending on her size. There are some lighter ones out there that are also well built and will allow her to keep up. Off the top of my head, Hobie revolution 11 if you can swing it might be the best, OK trident 11, WS tarpon 12. You should be able to find these used if you're not looking to break the bank. The other question is will she be going without you? If not, get her something that will allow here to keep up, be happy on the water and is a size that you and her can handle.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
oredith
Junior

i got my wife a used X-13, and she really likes it. it moves through the water quickly and tracks straight, and doesn't feel big in the water....

caveat one - it's not small on land.
caveat two - it's not super stable (compared to my barge stealth 14).

my wife went over when she wasn't paying attention and got hit by a ~1' wake created by a motor boat at cabrillo this weekend. she was pretty buzzed already, and sitting cross legged on the kayak, so.. >_<

i had to pull her onto my kayak, and then jump into the water to flip her's over and get back on her's.. also more difficult to reenter compared to my stealth.
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
i got my wife a used X-13, and she really likes it. it moves through the water quickly and tracks straight, and doesn't feel big in the water....

my wife went over when she wasn't paying attention and got hit by a ~1' wake created by a motor boat at cabrillo this weekend. she was pretty buzzed already, and sitting cross legged on the kayak, so.. >_<

i had to pull her onto my kayak, and then jump into the water to flip her's over and get back on her's.. also more difficult to reenter compared to my stealth.

Pretty buzzed? That must have messed up the buzz. Dang!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
octico

I just posted a Hobie for sale ...
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
tacmik

for a smaller yak that is fairly quick, light weight and can handle a fair amount of weight. try a cobra explorer. it is 11.5 ft and can handle la jolla with no problems.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

lame way to get traffic to your site.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Kingpen818
Junior

I have a 11.5 Perception Striker Angler Kayak that I'm Selling for 300 bucks its super stable and in my opinion I think its lighter than the X-Factor or Stealth 14 because I bought an X-Factor and it definitely is heavier than my Perception Striker Angler Kayak. You can check it out by looking at my profile pictures.
Kingpen818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

I feel used! Good eye!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #10
mike holding
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
The issue with a short boat is that it won't paddle well. I would go with at least 11 foot depending on her size. There are some lighter ones out there that are also well built and will allow her to keep up. Off the top of my head, Hobie revolution 11 if you can swing it might be the best, OK trident 11, WS tarpon 12. You should be able to find these used if you're not looking to break the bank. The other question is will she be going without you? If not, get her something that will allow here to keep up, be happy on the water and is a size that you and her can handle.
We will be going together probably. Initially at least. I'll search for these kayaks. Thankyou
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #11
mike holding
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post

Stability is important. She is new to kayaking i think i should buy a tandem for her.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
LOL, you beat me to it!

I'm considering offing my Ride to upgrade into a Hobie. Might not be until next year, post annual bonus in March unless someone really wants it....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
oredith
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike holding View Post
Stability is important. She is new to kayaking i think i should buy a tandem for her.
to be fair, I feel pretty comfortable in the x13. i think it's a good balance. My wife was just not properly seated in the kayak and not paying attention.

having said that, the yak is definitely very "slippery" along the short axis, flipping it back over in the water was effortless, but it also made re-entry pretty sketchy. it was close to flipping back over when I tried to re-enter along the side. ended up pulling most of myself up along the stern first and then scooting up.
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
monstahfish

Keep in mind a lot of people refer to a tandem kayak as a two paddle divorce machine and they're not great for solo paddling.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote