Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Early Christmas

I picked up my new 2018 Hobie Fishing Team kayak on Monday...rigged her on Tuesday...splashed her on Wednesday and she's a keeper...I caught Bonito Bass Rockfish and an aggressive little Mako.
The changes to the new PA are kind of subtle but good. Hobie has added 2 risers and an extra steering handle to the package...so now you can steer from both sides easily. The mounting boards have been changed to include a track system and there are some slots for knives or pliers on the edge as well as indentations for drilling places to mount other plates. They have added an extra piece of weatherstrip on the hatch to help keep it water proof. The graphics are different and bigger...I think they look cool and the new camo finish is really nice. I have one of the new Marine Mat kits that Hobie is now offering but I'm not sure I want to cover that great camo finish...I'll probably use it for my yellow PA 14. This new Marine Mat material is very similar to the Sea Dek pads but less expensive and just as nice looking. The Lowrance ready transducer cover has a few slots added to get rid of mud or sand. Hobie has added strips of reflective tape on the pedal shafts and on the seat. The Mirage drive has the new rounded peddle shafts with the push button adjustment...The pads on the Mirage Drive are camo as well as the pads on the floor of the yak too. The paddle is still the two piece with the t handle included...but it is now longer at 8' 6" and there is another paddle holder clip across from the original one at the front side of the tank well...so now it's easy to carry both parts of the paddle on the PA.
That's about it on the changes...What A Comfortable Kayak...That Vantage seat is the best...!!!

Anybody looking for a Tandem Island in perfect condition...?

Thanks Hobie...!!!!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 11-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
ultimatejay

Nice Kayak, I have the 2017 and love it. The dual steering handles are not new- have been around awhile.
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
King Saba

Nice! And you have a watersnake trolling motor on it too! love it. What battery do you have it running on?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Nice! And you have a watersnake trolling motor on it too! love it. What battery do you have it running on?
A big old heavy group 24...I get plenty of run time out of it but it would sure be nice to be able to afford a couple of nice lite lithium batteries.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Oh please.....

You can afford them Jim...
Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
A big old heavy group 24...I get plenty of run time out of it but it would sure be nice to be able to afford a couple of nice lite lithium batteries.

Ah. I'm pretty sure I would be extra tippy if I used a trolling motor with my Adventure
Old 11-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Saba Slayer

battery

Quote:
Ah. I'm pretty sure I would be extra tippy if I used a trolling motor with my Adventure
On my Adventure Island without the outriggers I use a PWC battery and I can get about 5 miles out of it...and the battery fits right under the seat...I guess you could connect two together to get more time out of them and still fit them down there.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
On my Adventure Island without the outriggers I use a PWC battery and I can get about 5 miles out of it...and the battery fits right under the seat...I guess you could connect two together to get more time out of them and still fit them down there.
Don't gots the CT seat unfortunately so if I am to add the motor I'll be sticking the battery in the front hatch.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Don't gots the CT seat unfortunately so if I am to add the motor I'll be sticking the battery in the front hatch.
Too much weight forward and you turn your kayak into a plow. Also increases water over the bow. Get it as close to mid ships as possible
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
dpricenator

How much are you selling that Tandem Island for? I'm in an Ocean Kayak Malibu XL. About as bare bones as they come.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Saba Slayer

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
How much are you selling that Tandem Island for? I'm in an Ocean Kayak Malibu XL. About as bare bones as they come.
PM sent...