Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
rwoods81
Junior

Bait

Newbie here, so excuse the stupid question. I read in a lot of these threads about guys catching their own bait, greenies, spanish etc. Can someone please explain to this new salty how you go about catching your own bait. Are there certain areas to look? Is it a different rig?

Mahalo
rwoods81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
jsunmkly
Jason

I am not sure exactly where but you will have to find those bait fish with your fish finder.
Then you will use sabiki rig (store bought with small hook and artificial lure attached, usually comes in 6) to catch those bait fish.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
salty pirate

So you want to catch

your own bait. Ill give you my preferred bait in order live Squid, sardine, pacific "greenback" mackerel and spanish mackerel.

Catching live squid is for another day so the rig you need is a sabiki. I like the hayabusa sabiki in size 8. it is best to cut them in half and pinch the barbs, add a 1-3 oz weight and your ready to catch bait.

Look for bait in and along the kelp line. also watch for a disturbance on the surface usually it is bait, cast into it. Bait like to school with their own kind so if you don't find what you want keep looking. Sometimes the seals will lead you to the bait. A fish finder will help find schools below the surface and help keep that sabiki out of the kelp.

Good luck,
Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
User name

If I'm having trouble making bait I usually add tiny pieces of shrimp to the sabiki with the barb still showing.
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
If I'm having trouble making bait I usually add tiny pieces of shrimp to the sabiki with the barb still showing.
You don't have to do that, just paddle/pedal around until you meter balls of bait................keep it simple

Depending on your sonar smaller schools of greenbacks will usually appear as a dark ball on your screen, with Spanish macs the screen will be a little more pixelated and and they usually travel in larger schools.........at least that's what I've seen. As far as squid goes.....those are a little trickier to identify, on my screen they tend to look like broken up pieces of kelp.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

sibiki pole

I finally got a sibiki rod!!! Soooo worth it!! I hated getting that sibiki tangled or hooked on something in my kayak. So clean, and makes things much simpler!! Not saying you have to get one, but it's definitely worth the investment (about $65 for the rod).
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
tamddo714

if you don't have a FF like i do at the moment. i just cast my rig as far as i can and just jig up and down for them. you'll eventually find enough, its pretty easy.
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

4oz weight on sabiki dropped 10'-15' down while I cruise to a spot usually picks up a few on the way. Or I just leave the sabiki down while I'm fishing a spot to usually get a few too. Toss the rod in the rear rod holder and when I feel the back of the kayak vibrating, I just reel em in
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
rwoods81
Junior

Thanks for all your input.
rwoods81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Widgeon

I made a sabiki rod out of a length of electrical conduit. It works ok, but kind of top heavy. I want to get the real deal.
Anyhow, my FF is on its last leg, so I generally don't bother using it much. I just get out near where I want to fish and work the edge of the kelp with the sabiki. Try to get a visual on some macs and start jigging it up and down. Sometimes fairly aggressively to get their attention. I've even done it with no sign of them and if I don't start seeing them, drop it a little lower and try again.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote