Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
bmercury

Terrorists are people that kill innocents for political reasons, not people with whom you have a policy disagreement. Do you guys remember 9/11, the sniper shootings, subway gas attack in japan, suicide bombings in Israel etc?

Did these environmentalists ever kill anyone here in california during the MLPA process? Did they even try? If so I will reconsider.

Now that you have dehumanized these people and deemed them "terrorists". What are you going to do to them if your favorite fishing spot is closed? Go on a killing spree because they are "terrorists" and therefore fair game? That will sure show them who the terrorist is!

By your criteria I could call people who are advocating for insurance companies to be able to deny health care to children "terrorists". Or people who are advocating for apartheid against homosexuals, immigrants etc "terrorists". These sorts of people have used the same tactics which you describe. Those are in my opinion much more damaging views than wanting to disrupt my hobby.

But I would not, they are simply people with whom I have a policy disagreement.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Billy V

Letters Sent.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Grego

Hi Billy Martin, you scare me with your edumacation
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
AquaticHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
they are simply people with whom I have a policy disagreement.
Question... is that what you say to people who cut you off on the road?

Do you really have a policy disagreement with them? Did you attend a single MLPA meeting? Did you send in your letter?
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Regor
Greg

Letter sent.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Ohana

Sent it out!

My 2 cents regarding the discussion of whether to call those pushing the all restrictive MLPA plan environmental terrorists: A terrorist is a person or group who uses terrorism (bombing, murder of civilians, etc...) as a means of coercion to obtain their objectives, so if these environmental groups start killing people opposed to their views or other violent methods to create fear and sway peoples opinions, then they are terrorists. To my knowledge they have not exhibited this behavior.

Now, they do behave in a manner that fits an extremists behavior, so I prefer to call them environmental extremists. They are using fanatical and excessive behavior to push their agenda, but have not resorted to terrorism.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Billy V

I don't know if I agree... Miriam Webster doesn't say anything about Killing , Murder, etc. in order to qualify as a Terrorist.

terrorist |ˈterərist|
noun
a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.
DERIVATIVES
terroristic |ˌterəˈristik| |ˈtɛrəˈrɪstɪk| |-ˈrɪstɪk| adjective
terroristically |ˈtɛrəˈrɪst1k(ə)li| |-ˈrɪstɪk(ə)li| adverb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the Thesaurus as well.

terrorist
noun
the detainees are suspected terrorists extremist, fanatic; revolutionary, radical, insurgent, guerrilla, anarchist, freedom fighter; bomber, gunman, assassin, hijacker, arsonist, incendiary.

-Notice here how she links the noun/and subsequent adjective.

This is a tough call.
Can we agree to define them as rat bast*rds as previously noted ?

More on this after dinner.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Grego

Here go those Eco-nazi extremist terrorist again !! Gotta love their graffiti!! such environmentally friendly creatures they are....(Photo Courtesy of Dxrat from BT...good job capturing their behavior Dave even if you do peddle!)

Call them what you want, I call them M*th%@ F*$&@, but it doesn't literally mean they fornicate their moms....get over it and express your distaste for them however you want, just don't break the law...LIKE THEY DO!!

Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I don't know if I agree... Miriam Webster doesn't say anything about Killing , Murder, etc. in order to qualify as a Terrorist.

terrorist |ˈterərist|
noun
a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.
DERIVATIVES
terroristic |ˌterəˈristik| |ˈtɛrəˈrɪstɪk| |-ˈrɪstɪk| adjective
terroristically |ˈtɛrəˈrɪst1k(ə)li| |-ˈrɪstɪk(ə)li| adverb

Heres the Thesaurus as well.

terrorist
noun
the detainees are suspected terrorists extremist, fanatic; revolutionary, radical, insurgent, guerrilla, anarchist, freedom fighter; bomber, gunman, assassin, hijacker, arsonist, incendiary.

-Notice here how she links the noun/and subsequent adjective.

This is a tough call.
Can we agree to define them as rat bast*rds as previously noted ?

More on this after dinner.
I agree that the use of rat ba*$@rds is more appropriate
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
Now that you have dehumanized these people and deemed them "terrorists". What are you going to do to them if your favorite fishing spot is closed? Go on a killing spree because they are "terrorists" and therefore fair game? That will sure show them who the terrorist is!

By your criteria I could call people who are advocating for insurance companies to be able to deny health care to children "terrorists". Or people who are advocating for apartheid against homosexuals, immigrants etc "terrorists". These sorts of people have used the same tactics which you describe. Those are in my opinion much more damaging views than wanting to disrupt my hobby.

But I would not, they are simply people with whom I have a policy disagreement.
[sarcasm]Good to know you would never resort to hyperbole or demonizing people with whom you have a policy disagreement.[/sarcasm]

While I agree with you that labeling these people terrorists is counterproductive, it's pretty clear that they are not just well-meaning opponents arguing their position in good faith. They'll use any dirty tactics they can get away with and they are very well funded and organized.

Maybe you could direct some of that anger at the other side. While it's just a hobby to you, there are plenty of people who's livelihood depends on recreational fishing. I'm sure they would appreciate your help.
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
kurt

DFG Commissioner Richards went off on the Governor.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...aises-doubts-/

My favorite quote:
Quote:
“This just shows how corrupt this process is,” Richards said. “This process, the Marine Life Protection Act, is so corrupt, so offensive it’s unimaginable. Gov. Schwarzenegger is a forked-tongue devil.”