Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
'Cuda

fish finder

I'm shopping for a fish finder for my new Cobra Marauder....any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Jimm H

I owned a Humminbird for 10 weeks before the power connectors corroded... and I cleaned it after every trip.

Owned a Garmin 160 for 4 years with virtually no problems. It also showed more detail than Humminbird could.

Now use a color RayMarine DX400 ($300) with 1/4 VGA display (320x240), and dual 50KHz/200KHz transducer. JIS7 rated (submersible). Superior display capability. Color allows you to see bait versus kelp, for instance (fish show up red). Brad would quip that I can see all the fish that I can't catch.

Others will have good inputs on other brands.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
beavertom

Fish Finder

Bass Pro Shops has the Cuda 240 on sale for $149.99.
It has good sonar and GPS with a 1 year warrenty with and extention for 3 years for $40.00.
Easy to use and unit is waterproof.
Others on the site have said that Eagle backs the units up better than some of the other units on the market.
Good Luck,
Tom
beavertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
mc08066

Raymarine ds400x

I was going to recommend the same unit. Nice digitial picture that can be displayed during all lighting conditions. Buy the extended warrantly for as long as you can get it. You'll probably need it before then. Unit is a little pricy but can be found for $269.00.
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
ElMocoGrande

Send a message via AIM to ElMocoGrande
I picked up the Eagle 240 S/GPS in Dec. and have been happy with it so far. I liked this unit partly because of the GPS feature. This is not the full navigation system with charts that you will see in more expensive units. It does allow you to mark and save waypoints of those hot fishing spots that you find and it will get you back to the launch in the fog. I got mine from Bass Pro and noticed that the Sports Authority store has them on the shelf for $159.
ElMocoGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
scwafish

If you wait about 2 weeks the new version of the Eagle Fish Easy 240 will be out. The 240 DS has a dual beam thransducer, which is a nice upgrade to the old one...best of all the price has been dropped to $99.00. I believe this will become the new yak standard.

The only Humminbirds that really suck are the Pirahna series. They do die from corrosion rapidly. We use lots of the Matrix units and they have been excellent but they are more cash. The display is however much nicer than the Eagle 240, and they are very easy to take on and off. The 17 is the best bang for the buck in the Humminbird line up.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
PlasticSkipper

I just received an e-mail from West Marine about a warehouse clearance sale with the Lowrance X58DF Dual Frequency Fishfinder going for $127 down from $220. Don't know if it's a good one, just passing on the bargain info. Dave

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...01/10879/140/3
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
JimPat

Waiting to make a decision

I too am still trying to decide which one to get. I like the Matrix 17 a lot so will probably just save for a couple more weeks and pull the trigger on that one. The problem with asking the opinions on FF's is that everyone has one and just when you get locked in on one model someone reports that they ahd bad luck with it. There is no perfect FF, but everyone agress from what I have read that the longest extended warranty that you can get is the best money paid.

Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
'Cuda

Thanks guys...sounds like the Eagle 240s/gps is the way to go and ride the warranty as long as you can....it's amazing, I've got a buddy with a small PB thats had his for 6 yrs...kayaks kill fish finders.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
DESTROYER

Hummingbird has greatly improved their stuff. They just came out with 300 series which has GPS and dpeth finder combo for about $260. Buying form West Marine is a must...Get the Warranty and when it craps out you take it in and get a new one, no questions asked

Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
T-Rex

Have had a PirahnaMax 20 for about 18 months and it's still working. As Scwafish pointed out, corrosion is a big problem. I have to rinse it thoroughly and spray with CorrosionX immediately after each use other wise the pins start to corrode and turn green. I'm also not sure how good Humminbird customer service is...Sent them an email and got no response except for an automated message saying they received my message and would respond to me promptly...they never did. :?
Maybe the newer series have solved the corrosion issue. Getting the extended warranty is great advice...I wish I'd got it, then the corrosion or anything else would be a non-issue!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
Grego

Quote:
Buying form West Marine is a must...Get the Warranty and when it craps out you take it in and get a new one, no questions asked
I tell people the exact same thing. This kook G-Low who posts now and then schooled me on the new 700 series replacing the Matrix. Gonna replace my matrix with one soon.

Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
digbaja

Grego, callin me a "gook"? Kinda like "the pot callin' the kettle..." well, you know.

Check out the H-bird 700 series.
G-low
digbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
scwafish

West Marine will also price match, just print the on-line competition and bring it in. BTW-The new Eagle is the 245 DS. not 240 DS...my bad!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

I found the new Eagle 245 with GPS for $199. If anyone finds it less, please advise. I'm debating that vs Martix 17. or....? But the included GPS sounds really nice. I was stuck in the fog twice.... no fun!

Now I am not a handyman, other skills yes, but not good with installing electrical things.

Who knows where to go to get this installed??? I just bought a new Prowler 13.

THANKS!!!!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
scwafish

Where did you find it with GPS?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Bass Pro Shops has the Eagle 240 S with GPS for $199. this is not the 245, however. Having the GPS sounds real nice.

Here's a link:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&cmCat=2222206

I guess West Marine is supposed to price match. I don't think the 245 version will be any more expensive.

If you find a better deal, feel free to phone me, and we can share info as well.... 619-461-9570

I'm still trying to figure out where to go to get this or the Matrix installed. I'm not an electrcian, in any way. There are some "portable" units, that sound good, but I don't see many reviews. I would be happy to have the batteries self-contained, so I don't need another hole drilled.... but I guess II'll go with the best approach.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #18
scwafish

Here's how I installed a Matrix 67 on my x-factor...

Here's how they look on the inside...this one is a Matrix 17...

Here's how I make AA power supplies to run ff's...http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...d=29&Itemid=42

This is a good basic how to for installing a ff...http://kayaksportfishing.com/equipme...fishfinder.htm

Its really not that hard to do. Good luck!