Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Hypoxic1

Yellowtail ceviche?

Anyone out there made ceviche with yellowtail? If you have would you care to share a good recipe?
I have grilled it, seared it, served it hamachi style, and thought it being a white flesh would make good ceviche, but im confident that there is someone out there who has actually done it.
Care to share ideas?
Thanks
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

Yep hit it up and you will not be sorry that you did! Definitely do it baja style and don't let it "cook" too long with the citrus juices...the sooner the better in my opinion.

Pretty much any standard ceviche recipe will do, basically I use a cup of OJ, a cup of Lemon juice, and a cup of Lime juice with some pico de gallo and peppers added in let it sit for a half hour or so and then dig on in!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
steveooo

Razor’s Edge CEVICHE

2 lbs of firm, fresh yellow tail fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, completely deboned
1 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
1 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup orange juice – low pulp

In a non-reactive casserole dish, either Pyrex or ceramic, place the fish and cover with juice mixture. Make sure you have enough juice to cover the entire bowl of fish. Stir occasionally making sure more of the fish gets exposed to the acidic lime and lemon juices. Let marinade in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Pour off all excess liquid from dish and add:

New mixture of citrus juices (combine whatever flavors you enjoy the most) We like a heavy lemon base.
1 bag of defrosted frozen shrimp – cooked tail on is the easiest. Simply cut up into small chunks to simulate rock shrimp.
1 purple onion, finely diced
1 cup of fresh peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
1 Serrano chili, seeded and finely diced (more chili’s if you like to kick it up)
1 chopped yellow bell pepper
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 diced cucumber (peel the cucumber, slice in half long ways and scoop out the inside seeds and soft inner core.
2 teaspoons of salt (kosher or sea salt)
Dash of ground oregano
Multiple Dashes of Tabasco or a few grains of cayenne pepper
Fresh ground pepper to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil + 4 –6 cloves fresh minced garlic

OPTIONAL:
1 can or jar of your favorite salsa - gives it a more tomatoey base and seafood cocktail style which is fun served in a tall glass like you get in the fish markets in Ensenada, Rosarita, etc.
½ cup Cuervo Tequila
Avocado -peeled and diced
Tortillas or tortilla chips
Any other mariscos you enjoy, ie: scallops, octopus, conch.

Let sit for at least 6 hours, giving time for the flavors to blend.
Serve with chopped cilantro and slices of avocado with heated tortillas for ceviche tacos or with tortilla chips.

This is the crunchy - vegie style that my wife enjoys. You can go with a simple fish + shrimp style that's pretty tasty too (That's the WSB recipe I had for you guys at the OEX meeting Brad).

ENJOY
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Billy V

Here is my Ceviche recipe:

1/2 lb. Shrimp
1/2 lb. Diced Yellowtail
3/4 c. OJ
3/4 c. Fresh Lime juice
3/4 c. Fresh Lemon Juice
5 Roma Tomatoes Diced
1 Large Cucumber Quartered and Sliced Fine
1/3 Yellow Onion Minced
1 Clove Garlic Minced
1/2 c. Cilantro Chopped
1 Jalapeno Minced
2 Tbl.Hot Sauce
1 Tbl. Salt
1/2 Tbl. Black Pepper
4 Tbl. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Whizz Bang

Great thread.

We should get a whole new section for recipes where we can share our favorites. You catch any Yellows lately Chris? The only thing Ive caught recently is a cold.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Hypoxic1

Thanks guys for the recipes. Nope no fish lately but i havent been on the water. back out on Friday.
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Willy

This is great for those hot summer days and nights.
It is my wife Shoko's special mix.
She mixes shrimp in with the fish every time. Gives it great texture.

Shoko's Ceviche:

1/2 to 1 lb fish fillets
1/2 lb cooked shrimp
5-6 limes, or enough juice to cover all of the meat (bottled juice can be used if you must)
1 cup of diced fresh tomatoes
1 pepper, (not bell, chili style) chopped (we like the serrano)
4 tablespoons -1/2 cup chopped cilantro (we like a lot, makes a great
mexican taste)
1 tsp garlic salt, or to taste
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or more or less to suit your taste)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
Hot sauce, to taste (tabasco style)
Several chopped black olives

Lettuce leaves (to line serving bowls)
Avocados (optional garnish)

Dice the fish (and shrimp), aprox. 1/2 inch dice.
Marinate fish and shrimp in the lime juice in the fridge overnight (this step cooks the fish meat, I don't know why, it's science).
Stir often, every few hours.
Pour off most of the lime juice (just leave the fish moist) The wife just scoops the fish out and saves the juice for later if it's needed.
Add remaining ingredients, except lettuce and avocado. Do this preferably a few hours before serving & refrigerate.
Toss well and arrange in serving bowls that are lined with the lettuce leaves.
If you wish, garnish with sliced Avocado and sliced black olives.

Get out the chips, taco shells, tortillas or whatever you feel, and chow down! We eat it with tortilla chips.

Of course this is adjustable, we have made a huge amount before for a party, and it keeps in the fridge for at least a week. We fussed with the recipe several times to adjust the taste to our likes. I recommend you do the same.
Enjoy!

Willy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ceviche.JPG (160.7 KB, 455 views)
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Just thinking. After filleting a YT or other fish, there seems to be a lot of good meat still on the bones and in the head. Has anyone tried to gleen this meat from the carcas and use it for ceviche or some other purpose?

I have seen some of our master fishers bring frozen fish heads to cut up for chum while making bait. If this meat would be better served with a bit of lemon, lime, onion and tomato, I think that one might be able to get an extra meal or two out of each fish.

Any thoughts?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
'Cuda

My x-wife is Peruvian.....my father-in-law took me to the most exclusive ceviche restuarant in Lima. They slice it thin, sashimi style, soak it in a salt water brine for 10 minutes (very important for any ceviche recipe...removes fishy slime) and marinate it in :

lime juice
garlic
julienne red onion
cilantro
jalapeno or serrano chiles

For added heat, I make a "death sauce" on the side for the more adventurous guests .....in a blender mostly serrano chiles, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt. Blend to a coarse puree.
Serve with fresh boiled corn for a sweet-sour contrast.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cuda View Post
My x-wife is Peruvian.....my father-in-law took me to the most exclusive ceviche restuarant in Lima. They slice it thin, sashimi style, soak it in a salt water brine for 10 minutes (very important for any ceviche recipe...removes fishy slime) and marinate it in :

lime juice
garlic
julienne red onion
cilantro
jalapeno or serrano chiles

For added heat, I make a "death sauce" on the side for the more adventurous guests .....in a blender mostly serrano chiles, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt. Blend to a coarse puree.
Serve with fresh boiled corn for a sweet-sour contrast.
If anyone is reading this, book mark this post.... This is goooood stuff!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
TCS

Fish Stock

[QUOTE=dsafety;46067]Just thinking. After filleting a YT or other fish, there seems to be a lot of good meat still on the bones and in the head. Has anyone tried to gleen this meat from the carcas and use it for ceviche or some other purpose?

I have seen some of our master fishers bring frozen fish heads to cut up for chum while making bait. If this meat would be better served with a bit of lemon, lime, onion and tomato, I think that one might be able to get an extra meal or two out of each fish.

Any thoughts?

I used my WSB head and carcass to make fish stock at the beginning of the summer. Its a killer ingredient for sauces, does not taste fishy at all. Googled for the recipe.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
bigbarrels

Razor's Edge Ceviche Rocks!

Steevooo,

just made your Razors Edge Ceviche with Trigger fish and it was unbelievable....myself, family, and friends all loved it Thanks for sharing
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Useful Idiot

Razorback's ceviche is the BOMB. My fave.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Steevooo,

just made your Razors Edge Ceviche
I'd like to take credit for it, but I stole the recipe from Razorback on this website. It is the bomb though
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

[QUOTE=TCS;46089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Just thinking. After filleting a YT or other fish, there seems to be a lot of good meat still on the bones and in the head. Has anyone tried to gleen this meat from the carcas and use it for ceviche or some other purpose?

Any thoughts?

I used my WSB head and carcass to make fish stock at the beginning of the summer. Its a killer ingredient for sauces, does not taste fishy at all. Googled for the recipe.

Fish Stock? I often make chicken or turkey stock but never thought of using fish. What kinds of recipes do you use this stock in?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

YT Poki

Try this...
3 to 1 mix of soy and sesame oil, add some wasabi, blackened sesame seeds, thin sliced green onions, fresh grated ginger, thin sliced thai or habanero chilles, chunk up some YT or Tuna and soak for at least 1 hour. YUM!!!
Jim/ Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
j mo

Chowda!

[QUOTE=dsafety;46738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post

Fish Stock? I often make chicken or turkey stock but never thought of using fish. What kinds of recipes do you use this stock in?

Bob

My Wife is a New Englander and like all good seafaring New England families they have their chowder recipes which they covet and argue endlessly over. All real chowder recipes start with a fish stock, which I submit is the most critical aspect of making chowder!

The key in my extended families opinion is "sweating". A process of layering the fish heads and bones ontop of your base vegetables ( onion/celery/carrot) for ~10-15mins. You can google why this "sweating" method is important, but I have learned not to question tradition!

This is adapted from epicurious but similar enough although I know Vermouth is used in some form in my extended families recipe

Goods-

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
4 stalks celery, very thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, very thinly sliced
2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 large (6 inches long or more) or 2 small (4 inches long or less) fish heads from cod or haddock (East Coast) or WSB/Yellowtail West Coast), split lengthwise, gills removed, and rinsed clean of any blood
2 1/2 to 3 pounds fish frames (bones) from from above fish, cut into 2-inch pieces and rinsed clean of any blood
1/4 cup dry white wine
About 2 quarts very hot or boiling water
Kosher or sea salt

Prep

1. Melt the butter in a heavy 7- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, and peppercorns and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables become very soft without browning, about 8 minutes.

2. Place the fish head on the vegetables and stack the fish frames evenly on top. Pour in the wine, cover the pot tightly, and let the bones sweat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they have turned completely white.

3. Add enough very hot or boiling water to just barely cover the bones. Give the mixture a gentle stir and allow the brew to come to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, carefully skimming off any white foam that comes to the surface, trying not to take any herbs, spices, or vegetables with it. (Using a ladle and a circular motion, push the foam from the center to the outside of the pot, where it is easy to remove.)

4. Remove the pot from the stove, stir the stock again, and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and season lightly with salt. If you are not going to be using the stock within the hour, chill it as quickly as possible. Cover the stock after it is thoroughly chilled (it will have a light jellied consistency) and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.

I digress though as i am merley a journeymen, someday I will master the art of CHOWDA though as I will not be out done by a bunch of MASSholes

Best

Last edited by j mo; 11-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
taggermike

I've made some great ceviche over the years and I have never followed a recipe. But I have noticed the following factors that tend to make the civeche come out better.
1. The the smaller the pieces of fish are the more contact they will have with the lemon juice and the faster the citric acid will cure them. I watched a pangero in Baja use 2 forks to shred the fish off the fillet. This yields thin ribbons of fish that 'cooked' or cured in the lemon in about a hour. This the way I prepare my fish now. I don't like waiting over night to eat my ceviche and it's faster than finely mincing the fish with a knife.
2. I have noticed that during the curing in lemon or lime juice that any blood, discoloration, or fishy flavor in the fish will be transfered to the lemon. After the fish is cured through, white and non-transparant, I try to remove ALL the lemon or lime juice from the curing process. I will run the fish under fresh water in to a bowl and then use both hands or a collender to tightly wring the fish out. This yields a clean, mild, almost dry fish for the next step.
3. If I have a 'secret' to my civeche it is the rinsing step. While the fish is curing, about an hour, I prep the veggies. I like fresh crunchy salsa so I use a knife to chop
roma and beef steak tomatos
green and yellow onion
lots of cilantro
red or yellow sweet bell type peppers
jalapino and serrano peppers

I don't messure, I just taste and add until it's right. After the veggies are done I add some fresh lime juice and a little salt. The juice and salt start to break down the salsa and make it a little juicy. Then when I add the rinced almost dry fish to the veggies the fish absorbs the fresh flavors of the salsa insted of retaining any lemon or fishy flavor from the curing.

It's only a little extra work but I like the results. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
PB fisher
feeesh

I would recommend adding clams too.
Bay shrimp seem to work best- smaller size.
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote