Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
FleshandBlood

What kind of PFD do you own?

I have an inexpensive body glove life jacket I picked up from Sports Authority a year or so ago and am looking to upgrade. It's a little uncomfortable when I paddle but I don't wear it that often. It mainly sits behind me when I am in the bays. I was looking for something a little more comfortable to wear outside the harbors. Just wondering what kind of PFD's guys are using.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
King Saba

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-Closeout.html

I use this one now, which is a major upgrade from a crappy generic one I used initially. Very tough, solid zippers, ample amount of storage pockets. The only downside is the weight, but it's quite breathable. My buddy has a NRS life jacket which I also like for its light weight and ample storage, but the material is not as rugged as my Stohlquist. I got mine from ACK when it was 66% off. I'm not sure if it would ever go down to that price again, but it's worth the money is all I can say.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Fishin' Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-Closeout.html

I use this one now, which is a major upgrade from a crappy generic one I used initially. Very tough, solid zippers, ample amount of storage pockets. The only downside is the weight, but it's quite breathable. My buddy has a NRS life jacket which I also like for its light weight and ample storage, but the material is not as rugged as my Stohlquist. I got mine from ACK when it was 66% off. I'm not sure if it would ever go down to that price again, but it's worth the money is all I can say.
X2. I have this same PFD and I agree, it's a bit heavy and kind of bulky. But it has a lot of storage in the pockets, so that's the upside. Fortunately I've never had an occasion to actually need it, but I'm sure that if I were to flip or somehow end up in the water, this would keep me afloat allowing me time to self rescue.

The important thing is to find one that you'll actually wear. Your life may one day depend on it, so why take a chance?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Aznronin

Can't go wrong with a Kokatat Bahia or a NRS. Both are very comfortable and has lots of pocket options for fishing.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

inflatable

A manually inflatable PFD is the most comfortable for me.
Like you, I used to keep my PFD behind me in the tank well or up front because they were always so uncomfortable or hot...but the new inflatables are so light and unobtrusive that I wear it all the time...even on hot days.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like the utility of vest pockets pre-packed with a short checklist of gear I want at my fingertips - camera, flashlight, tethered emergency flip-knife, hook cutter, iphone or radio. Map pocket if I'm using a map, but that's easy to tuck inside. If I find one that's comfortable as a vest and manually inflatable, I might like to upgrade to cut down on the bulk a little.

I use my Tilley hat for part of my gear list - it has a pocket inside the top for my fishing license and a stash of money for the bait barge or lunch. I replaced the chin strap with two 72" braided nylon boot laces to have handy as extra emergency cord if I need it. They are loosely knotted together as one and are a convenient length for my line cutter (nail clippers) and signal whistle.

The vest and hat work together to keep small essentials stowed, ready and out of the way. It's always pre-packed so I don't have to think about it.

For now I'm using a Hobie kayak vest with mesh zipper pockets that came free with my boat. It's not uncomfortable and clears the seat nicely.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Kokatat Bahia here, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Kokatat Bahia here, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
+1 or the unisex misfit is a good fit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
FISH11

NRS Chinook, has the right combination of pockets and attachment points for vhf radio, go pro remote and almost any accessory you need to have on your person without too much bulk. Has the rear section with no pad at the lower 1/2, so it doesn't get in the way of your back against the seat back. I found it to fit better than the others. Try them out before you buy one, everyone has different body shape.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
NRS Chinook, has the right combination of pockets and attachment points for vhf radio, go pro remote and almost any accessory you need to have on your person without too much bulk. Has the rear section with no pad at the lower 1/2, so it doesn't get in the way of your back against the seat back. I found it to fit better than the others. Try them out before you buy one, everyone has different body shape.

Where do you clip your VHF on your Chinook? I wear the same PFD and my VHF is always getting knocked off the vest.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Where do you clip your VHF on your Chinook? I wear the same PFD and my VHF is always getting knocked off the vest.
I use the same 4 way point attachment on the left side. I added a small para cord legth to be a back up safety for the VHF since I also attach a small knife for multi use such as cutting lines in case of getting tangled in leashes, etc if kayak rolls in surf, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G0010324_2.jpg (37.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

Thanks, Mark. I just realized that NRS Chinook is a different generation than yours. I think mine is a little older; Has the plastic 4-way, but attached with hook & loop instead of permanently affixed.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Fish Taco

Kokatat Bahia here... it's been a great PFD though my only complaint is the pocket doesn't fit my Standard Horizon HX851... it's too small.

If and when I upgrade, I may try the new Kokatat Predator here...

The pros about Kokatat is they have 3 straps on each side at the torso to adjust the fit... many other mfgrs only have two. I don't want my PFD sliding up over my head if I take a swim, the three adjustment points on each side helps this from happening. Kokatat makes a great product.

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote