Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Drake

Hobie PA not water tight?

When I take breakers over the bow, my tub up front and even sometimes the hull take on water. I wonder if its a matter of getting new seals, or perhaps replacing the bungees up front so they're holding the hatch down tighter?

It's a 2011, so I wouldn't think the seals are bad?

Is it common for water to come in when water comes over?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

use weather stripping. i use it on my gator hatch on the X factor. i used to get atleast 2 gallons of mystery water, this last time.. i only had the couple ounces i put in there to get the fish finder going. works well.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
JeffB

If you take out the tub in the front, you will loose your problem. That tub acts as a buffer and does not allow you a proper seal.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
If you take out the tub in the front, you will loose your problem. That tub acts as a buffer and does not allow you a proper seal.
trim it or shave it down?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Yakin

I have this exact problem this weekend I put my smokes in there and then got half way out popped the hatch and half my smoked were soaked!!
Please if you figure out how to fix it please let me know!!
and I was only in a foot or two of swells and just a few small splashes soaked everything inside of there
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
cut the lip off the plastic tub and slide it inside

I used a ryobi cutter to trim the top lip of the tub off so it will slide down inside so you will have a good rubber seal against the lid to prevent water leakage inside...and yes the cigarettes will light better when they are dry...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Gigafish

Yeah, when taking waves over your bow your going to take in water regardless of what kayak your riding in. Keep a bilge pump and a sponge with you. Wipe or pump out any water once you clear the waves. You should be fine out in open water and any water you take in out there should be less than a cup if any.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
smithers

Yup

I got my first Yak recently, a Revo 11, and I noticed this as soon as I put it in the pool for a quick self-rescue test.

My first post here was asking whether my yak was defective i learned through the replies that that front hatch is not water tight.

This is still surprising to me; seems a water tight hull (when seals closed) would be a good design goal.

Anyways, when I took the thing out Sat I pumped out a half gallon after surf launch and it stayed dry inside for 9 hours on calm water. So at least I know the thing isn't leaking

The fears I had in this area also trained me to keep all my hatches/seals closed except when getting something out. Would be hairy to flip with that one of these open and have the thing flood quickly.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
blitzburgh

I had the same problem. Someone told me to remove the tub. I did. Haven't had the problem since.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Check out the video at 4:16 & 4:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ec5g...eature=related
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
yani

My pro angler took on water thru the front hatch with every surf launch.

Although Gigfish believes every kayak takes on water, thats not true.
I launched my FishnDive hundreds of times thru the surf, and not a drop.

Too bad hobie can't create a better seal for its kayaks.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
My pro angler took on water thru the front hatch with every surf launch.

Although Gigfish believes every kayak takes on water, thats not true.
I launched my FishnDive hundreds of times thru the surf, and not a drop.

Too bad hobie can't create a better seal for its kayaks.
Especially what they charge for the PA!
I wasn't launching in surf that big as the video posted above
and my center hatch wasn't filled like that but it had a good inch or two and completely soaked my smokes!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
smithers

Bad conditions?

I'm not trying to sound off here; I'm a newb and I know it.

But I'm puzzled by the waves shown in the video. Looks like an experienced kayaker and that surf is considered bad conditions that he wouldn't normally launch in?

My first time ever in the yak was a week back; I launched in waves that were about 2.5 feet and they were bigger coming back in. Yeah, I was a little scared, and yeah, I dumped in shallow water after riding a wave in, but was a great day out overall and I learned a lot. (Next time I won't space out "whee!" when surfing in but will work hard to keep the boat straight)

Just doing a sanity check here; are waves that small really considered "bad conditions"? Was he maybe talking about high wind instead? If I saw dinky waves like that I'd think "perfect!"

Again, I'm not trying to put down the guy in the vid at all. I'm asking because I want to make sure I'm not going to act overconfident. I learned a lot from that video. While I practiced a self-rescue in the pool before going out, I didn't appreciate how hard it might be to flip a boat back over in choppy water. (But a Revo 11 has got to be a lot easier than a PA...) Thanks.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Old Man in the Sea

white plastic insert causes leaking - mystery solved...

If you look at the video you will see the front hatch has a white plastic tub with a lip on it. That causes serious leaking because it breaks the seal between the lid and the rubber seal on the kayak. Trim the lip off of the white plastic insert and try the test again...or you can test the theory yourself by putting a long piece of plastic between your car door and the rubber seal and running it through the car wash and then complain that BMW doesn't make a good car cause it leaks on the carpet when I take it through the car wash,,,,
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
If you look at the video you will see the front hatch has a white plastic tub with a lip on it. That causes serious leaking because it breaks the seal between the lid and the rubber seal on the kayak. Trim the lip off of the white plastic insert and try the test again...or you can test the theory yourself by putting a long piece of plastic between your car door and the rubber seal and running it through the car wash and then complain that BMW doesn't make a good car cause it leaks on the carpet when I take it through the car wash,,,,
Not to talk down but like I said I own a PA of myself and it comes with the tub.
Hobie should make it to where it has a better latch if they wanted to keep the tub the way it is or make the tub better so it will be sealed a lot better!
it will be just like my t-tops on my camaro they need to make it more water tight and the water gutter line on the t-tops longer so it runs it away from the t-top slats or have no gutter line so it runs with the contour of the car.
Kind of the same lines lie with the hobie PA
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Old Man in the Sea

offer you can't refuse?

that is cool... my PA came with the plastic tub so I thought it was after market. and yes would be upset if I paid for it and it didn't say if you buy it your front hatch will start leaking...anyway if any PA owner wants to stop by Bay Park (above mission bay) you can use my Ryobi to trim your tub lip off to make the seal better - pm me it will only takes 10 minutes...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
Gigafish

Are their any other kayaks that don't take on water when taking on waves? I have three and they all take on water. I don't own a P.A..
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

Looked like the Gulf, wind was what he was referring to. Loved the Forrest Gump ending

Treat your PA like a lil skiff. waves over the bow of any skiff will have you bailing.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
slobslayer

I have a tarpon 160 and I get wet in the surf but stays dry inside and my wife has a malibu mini x which also stays dry.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigafish View Post
Are their any other kayaks that don't take on water when taking on waves? I have three and they all take on water. I don't own a P.A..
My X factor is older and i put weather seal around the gator hatch (one strip on the yak and one on the hatch). I dont get any water in there anymore. granted i only launch through small waves and one or two might break over the bow, but even then its bone dry, i have to pour water in to get the transducer wet ( i have a ghetto "wet mount" with a pocket under the silicone for water to fill. works just as well).