Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

PT. Loma Kelp Launch Areas?

Is launching from Mission bay the best way to get to the Point Loma Kelp? Or are there any do able launch areas close to dog beach or anything like that?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

coronado dog beach always has small waves. its like la jolla launch. launch about 200yrds north of the rocks in front of the hotel there.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
fishinkid2010

Try driving all the way to the end of Cable St. in Point Loma. If the swell isn't big its not too shabby of a launch site. Its a very steep concrete pathway with a cobblestone beach at the bottom.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
Try driving all the way to the end of Cable St. in Point Loma. If the swell isn't big its not too shabby of a launch site. Its a very steep concrete pathway with a cobblestone beach at the bottom.
I've seen that spot on a map a while back and always wondered about it. Have you launched there? How is the parking?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
old_rookie

Take a look here before driving down:
http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...gs=0&year=2010

A lot of detail in this photo - and you can see it is all residential parking. Early in the morning I would think you can find a spot and wheel your kayak down.
Looks like a lot of flat rock in this photo - but the big question is the surf.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
I've checked this out and you're gambling big time that the waves may be O.K. The path to the beach can be tricky and again it's residential and could be a problem if you park in someone's spot.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
coronado dog beach always has small waves. its like la jolla launch. launch about 200yrds north of the rocks in front of the hotel there.
Dragging a Kayak down the LONG sandy beach of Coronado does not sound like a fun trek. I remember doing that trek as a kid with my towel, boogie board and junk. Now you're saying Dog beach of Coronado that's the end by the Navy base right? The waves down there can be small for sure, there's some nice Halibut fishing off that beach there. I might give that a go.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Dragging a Kayak down the LONG sandy beach of Coronado does not sound like a fun trek. I remember doing that trek as a kid with my towel, boogie board and junk. Now you're saying Dog beach of Coronado that's the end by the Navy base right? The waves down there can be small for sure, there's some nice Halibut fishing off that beach there. I might give that a go.
Ya. Theres a rock pile in front of hotel del Coronado .about200 yrds north of that is usually really flat. The dog beach right by the fence has small waves too and the sand is more compact and parking is usually easy to come by down there as well.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
lowprofile

this is what it usually looks like...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

That's why this beach is so kid friendly, surfers usually stay away from Coronado because the waves, well again there are no waves. However I have been there on days when a nice southern swell is coming in but again the break there sucks. No shoulders to ride and the waves close out fast. So most days this would be a good Kayak launch.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
jbaker

the 2011 asp long board world champ is from coronado, yes there is surf there. Any south swell can have north beach pumping big mostly closed out surf. The paddle from north beach to the point isn't much farther than from shelter island or that other launch (can't remember the street name) inside shelter island. either way you have to go past the point and up past the waste treatment plant to be out of the mlpa. Keep in mind that you have to swing wide around the point to avoid the surf. I always wanted to launch at mission bay an paddle out to the man made kelp forest off mission beach, I think its 3 miles north from the inlet.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
blitzburgh

I remember reading once where trips were made launching in Mission Bay and landing in Shelter Island. Obviously you would need to plan with the tide movement and have your vehicles staged in both locations but that would be a fun, full-day trip!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Smudge
Squid

If you don't mind a long drag through the sand, you can launch at the OB Dog Beach at the end of Voltaire St. You can put in at the flood control channel and out that inlet if there is no surf or you can paddle around the back side of the jetty and exit through the Mission Bay channel. Either way, you're not much closer to the kelp then launching at Mariner's Basin in Mission Bay...
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker View Post
the 2011 asp long board world champ is from coronado, yes there is surf there. Any south swell can have north beach pumping big mostly closed out surf. The paddle from north beach to the point isn't much farther than from shelter island or that other launch (can't remember the street name) inside shelter island. either way you have to go past the point and up past the waste treatment plant to be out of the mlpa. Keep in mind that you have to swing wide around the point to avoid the surf. I always wanted to launch at mission bay an paddle out to the man made kelp forest off mission beach, I think its 3 miles north from the inlet.
If I were going to launch at Coronado I would fish that area for Halibut and not paddle over to Point Loma. I've paddled from Shelter to the end of the Point a few times, if you plan it right on the out going and incoming tides the paddle is quite easy.

God Bless,
JimmyZ