Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
wavster

Spectra Question

I posted this topic on another board, so I apologize if this is redundant within the kayak fishing community...

I was testing my albright knot with spectra to fluoro and found that my spectra was snapping between
22 & 28lbs. The problem is that it's 50lb spectra. I did some tests with no knots and no fluoro with the
same results. The line is PowerPro spectra that I bought at Turners during the Fred Hall show.

Has anyone else experienced similar findings with their spectra or with PowerPro? It's hardly worth the
price. It cost twice as much as P-line mono and holds only half as much.

The good news is my albright knot is holding very well.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
bigderel
UberMember

That can't be right unless the product is somehow old or compromised. I'd take it back to Turners and get some new stuff, I'm sure they'd hook you up...I use PowerPro all the time and haven't had any issues. Although I often use a certain type of mono without issues & my last spool sucked. There's bound to be bad apples. Also, most lines test higher than their stated strength...you've seen it before I'm sure - "dude, 8 pound >insert brand name here< is the best! I got snagged on a rock and it anchored a 65 foot yacht!"...
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
wavster

I tested both spools and both snapped around the mid 20s (lbs.). I think I would want
to test another spool before I buy it again.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
madscientist

Powerpro was notorious for spontaneous failure a few years ago on the east coast. I stopped using it after experiencing that first hand. Seems very hit or miss. I've heard there is counterfeit stuff on the market (ebay) as well. Noah's tackle on Convoy can spool you up with JB spectra. Best I've seen short of the high end Japanese stuff.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Chris

I lost 3 taddys last week on my jigstick with #30 powerpro... I'd cast, it dug into itself, and gone...... Never again...

All my bait rods are #65 powerpro, never had them snap on sizeable fish, or cutting through kelp. I wouldn't recommend any less than #65, afterall it is like #15 mono diameter.

I like the big game mono for my surface, and yoyo jig rods...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
wavster

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Matt
Support your local pangas

I like Chris, tend to use 65 lb powerpro or like spectra on all my rigs, with little to no problems, I don't see the point in using the light stuff as in my world the whole point is to be overgunned when I get a good fish!! I have been trying the Berkeley spectra with great success in the 65 and 80 lb range also. Just my 2 cents worth, if you go to turner's talk to Ernie, he knows his stuff and is a great guy!

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Dave

There was an issue with counterfeit Power Pro.

http://www.powerpro.com/press/downlo...ATEGORY_ID=103

I wouldn't think that Turner's would sell you the fake stuff, but it could happen.
I use the 50# PowerPro Spectra on most of my reels and I haven't had a problem. I got snagged on the bottom many times on the San Carlos trip and I had an opportunity to put a lot of pressure on my line and knots. I now have complete confidence in my ability to tie an Albright. On one occasion I managed to bend the Owner 4/0 Gorilla hook without having the Spectra, 50# SeaGuar fluoro, or the Albright knot fail.
Your problem does make me wonder about QC on Power Pro. I would like to test the Spectra on all of my reels to see if there is any variance in parting strength.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
madscientist

The powerpro problem usually manifests in a quick set. I'd have 50lb that was perfectly fine under a steady load but when a quick swing was made it would just seperate like a cotton ball. I've still got some on a few old reels that seems to be fine, but I'll never buy it again. I've become very fond of the japanese stuff. Expensive but much higher quality than most US made line.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Chris

what is the name of the stuff you use Brad?

Also, on a related note, I am big fan of the Squidco small high rated black barrel swivels to connect my 3-5 ft leader of fluoro to spectra, never had one break, (knock on wood) Much easier than all these specialty knots...
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
madscientist

Power hunter, I think. There is even better stuff than that though. Look for the 10x stuff. Refers to the number of woven strands. Most good US stuff is 4x. If you've ever handled cheap rope next high quality rope you'll know the difference. I had a good ebay retailer, I'll try to look it up and PM ya.

Ultimately your line, hook, and swivels (if you still haven't learned to tie a good knot ) are the connection between you and the fish. A weak link there will usually be exposed at the worse possible time.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I just got power pro for the first time before the San Carlos trip. Noah's was out of JB. I don't like it because of the coating on it. It is 65# spectra and so far no problems after multiple snags at San Carlos and here in the kelp. It held up nice for one big fish and some mid grade ones since February.

That Japanese stuff Brad uses is awesome, but at ~$20/100 yards (and that's the sale price) very pricy. I really like it.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
madscientist

Tyler, I'm gonna switch to this stuff once I need to respool.

But at $100 for 300m I'm in no hurry.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Brad.. Do you put it on yourself or do you take it to a tackle shop?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Brad

Is that multi-color line that you had on your reels the Power Hunter? If so, is it any cheaper if you get a monochrome?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #16
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
i hear he has the multicolor on there to show his pride... lol lol lol

(but i guess i shouldn't talk sh!^, i don't even know the man- i just could't resist the opportunity of that joke)
zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
lamb

zeelaagee, did you just say Brad is gay??

Red card...

There's only one way you can be forgiven - sign up for WCW immediately: lol

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/payments.php

David, spectra is great idea if you plan on getting your big fish out of kelp. I've mostly had good experience with 30# spectra and 20# to 30# floro leaders. This year I started spooling 40#, only becasue it seems to get less backlashes when casting (I still get them though ). Spectra has its bad sides that are widely known and discussed... Kelp cutting with spectra works much better than with mono - that's what I was sold on.

I got used to it.... Now it feels weird when I'm fishing mono.

In my case - always spectra, always a few feet floro leader.

Always a swivel... I only bothered to learn 2 knots. That's all I need.

One thing with spectra - it is not as forgiving as mono. You have to make sure your drag is smooth (=quality reel), and that it is properly set.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
madscientist

Good point there Adi, spectra can reveal the limitations of a cheap or poorly functioning reel in a hurry. It can also eats into cheap rod guides.

I don't think the powerhunter is available in monochrome. But a man secure in his sexuality can fish with rainbow line and not fret it.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #19
Aguayak

Geez, he can fish with it, but won't play with it on his guitar?

That doesn't sound too secure. LOL
Aguayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
wavster

I appreciate everyone's response. I got so frustrated today because that line snapped just about
every time I got snagged (which was every time I dropped live bait to the bottom). I
was trying to fish the kelp line, but I guess I'm still too close to the kelp beds.

After fishing today, I went by Turners and returned the PowerPro line without incident. I'm
going to try another brand (most likely one of the ones recommended here). I just haven't
decided which. I'd like to see how each feels first.

I may transfer the existing PowerPro onto my bass rod, since I doubt I'll be catching anything
over 10lbs on that (although last September I got 3 YTs on it)