Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
TheSherThang

Got some Goop, Now what on my X-Factor?

Got the instructions from several sites on Sonar mounting as well as Humminbird. Looked inside the Malibu X-Factor and doesn't look like the transducer will mount anywhere except the back of the kayak. It's a pretty big transducer and the keel of the X-Factor doesn't flatten until the back. How did people with X-factors deal with this issue?

Last edited by TheSherThang; 07-09-2008 at 01:47 PM.
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The flat keel of the X-Factor can be used to your advantage. There is a spot just aft of the rear hatch that is flat and almost level. It is a great spot for the transducer because it is always going to be in contact with the water, has smooth water flow and is out of the way.

I had room for two transducers (don't ask ). I've now got a larger Lowrance transducer mounter there. It fits well and I get acceptable performance.

You might want to put some shims under the hull to level it out before installing the transducer. You don't want the transducer to move once it has been seated in the Goop. You can tape it down or just level the hull. I usually make a mess of the tape and move the puck too much. I'd rather just level the hull and let the transducer sit, undisturbed, until the Goop cures. I also use zip ties to suspend the transducer cable before I apply the Goop. The weight and bend of the cable will want to twist the transducers in the Goop. By securing the cable with a neutral bend in it there is less chance of the transducer moving.

Sanding the hull surface will improve adhesion. Just make sure you thoroughly clean and dry the area before applying the Goop.

Have everything prepared before you put the Goop down in the hull. This will make the installation go more smoothly. Have the hull level and stable; surface prepped and cleaned; cable in place; and dry fit the transducer. Once you are satisfied and everything is ready to go you can apply the Goop.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
TheSherThang

The flat area is still to narrow for the transducer that came with the Matrix 47. There is still about a 1/2" gap between the transducer and the keel.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Wow. And I thought my Lowrance had a big transducer. That must be the 3D transducer.

Too bad; that spot aft of the hatch is ideal. You don't lose any storage space and it doesn't get in the way.

You can mount it on the keel under the center console. It is relatively flat and you will get good performance. The drawback is that it will interfere with stowing rods on the centerline. There is enough room outboard on either side of the hull, so it might not be an issue.

Another option is a wet mount. You construct a small well that you can fill with water (or Vaseline)and place the transducer inside. It might be difficult to construct the well and get a good seal to the hull. You might try plumbers putty on the inside and outside edges when the well is glued down.

Anything off the keel will put the transducer at an angle. This will skew your readings a little.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
TheSherThang

Damn, that's what I figured. I tried placing the transducer along the whole keel and there are no spots flat enough, and yes, this is the 3D transducer
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
TheSherThang

Okay, guess this won't be a centerline mount. I'm going to mount it midkayak from the ends but all the way to either the starboard or port side. The X-factor flattens out there and it points relatively straight down. So it'll be off by about 15 inches, big deal Thanks all for the suggestion.

Here are some pre-install pictures

Location of the Head Unit and GPS

Location of the transducer inside the Kayak

Notice the kayatank restricting access to the center of the kayak.

Last edited by TheSherThang; 07-09-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

No big deal....

The angle isn't a big deal, but I wasn't a fan of the 3D transducer (my .02). I wouldn't focus on the little angle or not finding a perfectly flat spot. It comes down to simple math, to get an accurate depth reading. Simply lean to the transducer side and check the depth difference from sitting in the natural position (I'm guessing 5-8ft max difference). Either way, you will have all the perks of a flat mounted transducer (just do it).