Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
jorluivil

Humbling Experience

April 5, 2014, early AM………. Roby and I are sitting at the waters edge at LJ with kayaks in hand listening to the surf pound the shore. As we sit and wait for the lull I notice the window has come and I see Roby board his Revo but because my PA went sideways I was unable to launch right at that second. No more than 10 seconds go by and I decide to go anyway, NO GUTS NO GLORY!

Well, that attitude lead to me sitting in the white wash for at least a minute , the whole time water is constantly coming over the kayak. During this time I realized that the kayak would lean hard to the left and then to the right without notice, I couldn’t figure out why until I look down and notice that the entire deck is filled with water. Apparently, the water was sloshing side to side and that was causing the kayak to lean hard to the left or right. Add to this the fact that I had the drive plug installed, I’m assuming this was causing the water to not drain out, well, at least not as fast as it would have if the plug wasn’t installed. Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime of sitting in the kill zone I manage to make it through the surf. As soon as I reached Roby I took a minute to regain my composure, I wasn’t sure how I made it through the surf but I did.

Once I was in the clear I decide to go into my front hatch to pull my HDS unit out, as soon as I open the hatch I notice that the entire bucket/liner if filled to the top with water, literally to the top. I immediately start to panic and start to pull items out looking for my backpack which had my Nikon Coolpix camera in it. Fortunately, after taking everything out I realized that I had left the backpack in the truck because I didn’t want to anything else to mess with while I’m trying to figure out the kayak.

Landing time as arrived, gear is stored, rods are put away and Tony is sitting at the launch waiting for me to land, ‘NO GUTS NO GLORY”!!!! Shortly after back paddling and avoid what looked like a 3’ wave I decide to pedal and go for it. Well, pedaling as fast as possible worked against me because as soon as the smallest waves known to man came through my PA starts surfing. Not knowing what to expect I brace for the worst and into the drink I go.

Before I know it I am in the water and under the kayak, as soon as I try to come up I feel myself being pinned down under the kayak, I try to pick the kayak up (8:58 mark on the video) but it’s to heavy. Next I try to slide out but my PFD somehow gets caught on something and because it’s designed to float I can’t push myself down to slide under the kayak……I’m stuck and because I wasn’t prepared to go under I didn’t take a big breath of air. I am at the point where I am about to panic but I told myself that panicking would only make it worse. I somehow manage to slide out and immediately come up for air, when I did no one knew what I had just gone through. It felt like I was under the kayak for 1minute but it was more like 5-6 seconds.

Regardless, it was a humbling experience and all I can do is learn from it and share it hoping that others may learn from it. Anyone that has fished with me knows that I ALWAYS wear my PFD when I’m fishing, this just happened to be one of those events where the PFD worked against me. Fortunately, I remained calm and came out of it with no loss of gear, about the only thing that happened was that I had a plastic buckle break.

Fish on and be safe!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-10-2014 at 11:07 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

You left out the next part.

Got on land and collected a big ass check!!

Drove all the way home with a back seat full of a big ass check!!

Serious note: glad that no harm came of it
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
FISH11

Glad to see you came out of it ok. On the video I could tell you were going to go over, cause when the waves are gaining on you, you need to be looking over your shoulder so as to know when it catches up then you lean back and to which side your kayak is going to turn. When it starts to turn right or left you just need to put your hand paddle into the wave. Hold it flat to the surface lean into the wave away from shore. The paddle will support you and the wave will pass under your Kayak. As soon as it passes start paddling to aim the Kayak straight at shore again. Look over the shoulder again to see the next coming wave. During the video I saw a lot of Kayakers that seem to stop paddling either trying to go out or when coming in. The rudder is useless when the wave is pushing the Kayak. The best way to stay pointing into the waves or to shore on the way back it to continue paddling and keep the Yak from getting sideways to oncoming waves. It must have been hard since you just got the PA. I bet it does not handle like your old outback.

Last edited by FISH11; 04-10-2014 at 11:26 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

so funny, can't stop the tears from coming.

Glad your safe. tony or roby would of come to the rescue if you could not get up. That is why we kayak in pairs.

Tony you did a great job on that video, elevator music hit the jackpot!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-10-2014 at 07:39 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

This is just a prime example for a discussion earlier in the week. What looks comical to the spectators on shore can be an all too different experience for the person trapped under a 130# fully loaded kayak. You could slam your head and pass out, become wrapped in leashes, rigs and other gear. Don't count on the tourists, rental staff and life guards to be watching or even know what to look for if something goes wrong. We had a crew of 3 on Tuesday and even though the surf was pretty non existent and we arrived at the zone at different times we all waited outside the line for each other to assist if needed.

I know some people feel that launching and landing from lj is a lot less sinister then people make on because of all the soccer mom's braving the surf in rental yaks daily. But they are not loaded with a 100+# of gear that could turn into weapons in a flip.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

No way I would have wanted to launch and land a PA that day, bracing would have kept you sliding in, I imagine that is kind of hard to do on a wider kayak while sitting up higher.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I still would pay money to see Tony save you though

Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
TheBentRod

I had a small wave cause me to flip in the past. I must have just sat there and took it like Jorge. Now, I would just brace and ride the wave in. But on a Big A$$ PA, it looks too hard to brace. Sticking with the Outback fo sho now!

Glad you are okay Jorge.

Last edited by TheBentRod; 04-10-2014 at 11:12 AM.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Lesson learned. Don't make fun of others in the past of their failures. just messin around.

kept laughing at the elevator music guy in the blue kayak, did dude ever make it out?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
jorluivil

Getting stuck under the kayak wasn't fun, I'm glad I didn't panic.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
momo fish

Don't worry it could happen to anyone. I had similar experience last year on a stealth 14 which was really stupid. I rode a wave in after spending 20 something minutes timing it and the kayak landed on the sand perfectly. I was so proud of myself that I sat there for a few seconds all proud and not paying attention to waves coming in. At this point I was sideway when a big wave crashed on top of me causing the kayak to get on top of me while I was pushed I to the sand. Felt like I was stuck under forever and came out of it with ears and nose full of sand. Messed up my back for month.

Glad you made it out safe and others were there.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Happens to the best of us. One thing I did notice was that Mr. Patrick seemingly had his paddle leashed to his kayak. As mentioned many times before, that's something I would advise against when launching or landing. When I had a paddle kayak I would have my paddle leashed when i was fishing and throwing the paddle off the side and away would be one of the first things I would do after hooking up. But I've seen far too many people have their paddles wrap around them when launching or landing that I cringe when I see someone doing it.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
old_rookie

I can relate to your flip experience. One of the many times I had flipped, I was in shallow water - basically sitting on the sand in neck deep water. When I tried to stand, I couldn't. My PFD snagged on something on the kayak - I'm thinking maybe the seat. With waves coming over and not being able to stand up, yeah, a bit of panic sets in, but with the next attempt the PFD was freed. Not an easy feeling when something pins you down. In the video, I did wonder for a second why you weren't coming right up - it wasn't like it was 8ft deep there and you were swimming around.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I can relate to your flip experience. One of the many times I had flipped, I was in shallow water - basically sitting on the sand in neck deep water. When I tried to stand, I couldn't. My PFD snagged on something on the kayak - I'm thinking maybe the seat. With waves coming over and not being able to stand up, yeah, a bit of panic sets in, but with the next attempt the PFD was freed. Not an easy feeling when something pins you down. In the video, I did wonder for a second why you weren't coming right up - it wasn't like it was 8ft deep there and you were swimming around.

Right, being pinned down, or in this case up against the kayak was something that I was not expecting. One never thinks about taking a huge breath of air before you get tossed, It's probably because you're not expecting to get snagged under the kayak for a few seconds.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I would of paid money to see Tony give you CPR.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
Lesson learned. Don't make fun of others in the past of their failures. just messin around.

kept laughing at the elevator music guy in the blue kayak, did dude ever make it out?
Just checked the La Jolla Webcam... he's still trying to get out.
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #17
Fishin Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
April 5, 2014, early AM………. Roby and I are sitting at the waters edge at LJ with kayaks in hand listening to the surf pound the shore. As we sit and wait for the lull I notice the window has come and I see Roby board his Revo but because my PA went sideways I was unable to launch right at that second. No more than 10 seconds go by and I decide to go anyway, NO GUTS NO GLORY!

Well, that attitude lead to me sitting in the white wash for at least a minute , the whole time water is constantly coming over the kayak. During this time I realized that the kayak would lean hard to the left and then to the right without notice, I couldn’t figure out why until I look down and notice that the entire deck is filled with water. Apparently, the water was sloshing side to side and that was causing the kayak to lean hard to the left or right. Add to this the fact that I had the drive plug installed, I’m assuming this was causing the water to not drain out, well, at least not as fast as it would have if the plug wasn’t installed. Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime of sitting in the kill zone I manage to make it through the surf. As soon as I reached Roby I took a minute to regain my composure, I wasn’t sure how I made it through the surf but I did.

Once I was in the clear I decide to go into my front hatch to pull my HDS unit out, as soon as I open the hatch I notice that the entire bucket/liner if filled to the top with water, literally to the top. I immediately start to panic and start to pull items out looking for my backpack which had my Nikon Coolpix camera in it. Fortunately, after taking everything out I realized that I had left the backpack in the truck because I didn’t want to anything else to mess with while I’m trying to figure out the kayak.

Landing time as arrived, gear is stored, rods are put away and Tony is sitting at the launch waiting for me to land, ‘NO GUTS NO GLORY”!!!! Shortly after back paddling and avoid what looked like a 3’ wave I decide to pedal and go for it. Well, pedaling as fast as possible worked against me because as soon as the smallest waves known to man came through my PA starts surfing. Not knowing what to expect I brace for the worst and into the drink I go.

Before I know it I am in the water and under the kayak, as soon as I try to come up I feel myself being pinned down under the kayak, I try to pick the kayak up (8:58 mark on the video) but it’s to heavy. Next I try to slide out but my PFD somehow gets caught on something and because it’s designed to float I can’t push myself down to slide under the kayak……I’m stuck and because I wasn’t prepared to go under I didn’t take a big breath of air. I am at the point where I am about to panic but I told myself that panicking would only make it worse. I somehow manage to slide out and immediately come up for air, when I did no one knew what I had just gone through. It felt like I was under the kayak for 1minute but it was more like 5-6 seconds.

Regardless, it was a humbling experience and all I can do is learn from it and share it hoping that others may learn from it. Anyone that has fished with me knows that I ALWAYS wear my PFD when I’m fishing, this just happened to be one of those events where the PFD worked against me. Fortunately, I remained calm and came out of it with no loss of gear, about the only thing that happened was that I had a plastic buckle break.

Fish on and be safe!

I noticed you said "I had the drive plug installed". All of you other Pro Angler owners, do you use the drive plug when launching and re-entering? If you do or don't then why? I am glad you are okay.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post

I noticed you said "I had the drive plug installed". All of you other Pro Angler owners, do you use the drive plug when launching and re-entering? If you do or don't then why? I am glad you are okay.
When I would launch and land the pa I would have the mirage in, locked in the up position with the bungee.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Congrats on the rockfish win!!!

Good news > the Pa hull bottom looks to be in great shape....
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
taggermike

No guts no glory can turn you from hero to zero real fast. I don't want to add insult to injury but learn how to brace while riding in on the white water. Its kinda natural to lean away from the wave but if you do, like you found out, you'll end up swimming. Also if you fall off while bracing you'll be in a position where the wave will push the yak away from you and not in to you. The best surf landing kayak I have ever used was a cobra fish n dive. At 12 feet long and 36 inches wide it might not be quite the dimensions of a PA but it is still a wide short yak. It was super stable, like the PA, so I could lean way out in to the white water with the paddle. The PA seating is taller but it still might work. Maybe practice with out any gear. I found this vid that shows a few a few landing options and good examples of bracing. Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdYMIU3Di8
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote