Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Bait Tank... Just the Tank.

Where can I get just the tank-part of this setup: http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...it-Tank/Detail

I couldn't find it on the KFS website.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
CheapPelican

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4cd00o0csh_b

http://www.petco.com/product/13420/G...t%20Plus-13420
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
socal.beach.bum

Costco, Petsmart, Amazon.....
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Where can I get just the tank-part of this setup: http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...it-Tank/Detail

I couldn't find it on the KFS website.
Amazon has them at the best prices.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d

That's awesome (and fast)! Would not have guessed it was a pet-food box!

Thanks BWE!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

They are called vittles vault now with the right name you should be able to track some down Costco had em about two months ago I picked up 3 I think they where 25 bucks
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Siebler

Just a warning as this is a very common occurrence with folks looking to build the tank (and coming in for the parts)- If you were to build that same tank using the same parts it will cost you significantly more than purchasing- especially since the unit sells for only 175.00 in the OEX store.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201166221624?nav=SEARCH and no way I could build one similar to this for $100
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Racksticker
Junior

I was going to make my own, thinking I would save money. After doing the math, figuring I would waste some money buying the wrong parts or goofing it up somehow, I just bought it already built. Best way to go in my book.

On occasion, I have seen one for sale on Craigslist. May be worth checking now and then.
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
addicted2sp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Just a warning as this is a very common occurrence with folks looking to build the tank (and coming in for the parts)- If you were to build that same tank using the same parts it will cost you significantly more than purchasing- especially since the unit sells for only 175.00 in the OEX store.
How much would it be without the Rod holders, and carry strap? Can it be ordered with the components mounted in different orientations and drain holes in different places?

I would imagine the most expensive thing in this setup is the battery/power - everything else is basically stuff I already have in my garage.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
dmanars
Junior

Ive made on of these for around $90. basic model. If you want the rod holders and etc.. it might cost more. The thing is you can customize yours and make it the way you want. Of course it may cost more, but it's customized to your fishing. good luck
dmanars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
Maxfli123

I like to use small ice chest cooler, they have nice already made lids, they're insulated and with parts and all under $100 bucks. Made rod holders out of pvc, watertight box from Walmart for battery, fittings from big box store, battery from amazon...however the OEX one looks fancier than mine...but someone once told me that fancy doesn't catch fish(; and I like to build stuff, I feel less human buying something I can make but I'm just stubborn and cheap like that!!!
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
How much would it be without the Rod holders, and carry strap? Can it be ordered with the components mounted in different orientations and drain holes in different places?

I would imagine the most expensive thing in this setup is the battery/power - everything else is basically stuff I already have in my garage.
We can do anything custom for sure. PM me what you want ill quote a price to you.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #14
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
How much is your time and effort worth? How experienced are you with DIY? How many trips/mistakes are you willing to make?
Of the many threads I've read here, I have noticed that most of the guys who do build themselves have prior experience in building accessories for their Kayaks or other projects. I thought about building a bait tank a couple years ago when the Costco out here first carried the "Vittles Vaults" for $20. I started to think, I'm not too confident/talented with such endeavors and how many of the Vaults I might go through because I made a too large/many holes (etc.) how many trips I was willing to make to Home Depot for forgotten or wrong sized parts and then online purchases for items not carried by HD (like timer/on/off switch, bilge pump etc.).
After buying/outfitting my '12 Outback from OEX SSB (ANDY ) and reading/seeing some of the customizing the guys down at OEX Mission Bay (Props to CJ and Jeff) have done for their customers I wouldn't hesitate to recommend just buying from them since you're in that area (or online). PLUS if you read some repair threads done buy OEX they stand behind their work. I've read threads where customers have gone back with some issues with wiring, connectors switches etc. and have repairs done, no muss no fuss and little (maybe just charge for parts) to no charge, depending on the age of the item or install.
My opinion may be a little biased but I doubt anyone here would disagree with my assessment of these Stores and there dedication to customer satisfaction!
I wanted to be the first to buy the new'15 Outback, but now I'm patiently waiting on HOBIE to make a new bucket for their rectangular hatch option for the '15 Outback as my fly cases won't fit in the tackle management slots and while waiting I'm searching the $ stores for a plastic storage box that might fit the depth of the new Outback, BUT I WILL be purchasing from OEX SSB as soon as they/I find a solution.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
addicted2sp33d

Thanks for the DIY concerns. I have a garage full of tools and a house full of DIY-upgraded vacuums, furniture, upgraded 1000-degree BBQ (I can make fancy steakhouse steaks), appliances, electrical, plumbing, upgraded cars, upgraded motorcycles, and what-not... and we're not talking about hack-jobs here. I'm actually not that concerned about cost either.

I'm leaning more towards DIY because I'm more interested in specific function: 12V vs 6V, water-level control, maybe doubling as a bilge pump, whether I can reach things without unseating, and overall how it integrates with my yak. There's also a satisfaction of having created something.

If OEX can build one to my specs and within my tolerances then I'm more-than-willing to buy one. I'm not talking about ISO 9001 or MILSpec, but I do like things to line up; and in my experiences I am more-exact than most contractors are willing to-be - after working with me, most of them either want to hire me, or they think I'm annoyingly anal retentive.

Andy, once I figure out exactly what I'm building, I'll shoot over a PM, probably with some drawings and dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
How much is your time and effort worth? How experienced are you with DIY? How many trips/mistakes are you willing to make?
Of the many threads I've read here, I have noticed that most of the guys who do build themselves have prior experience in building accessories for their Kayaks or other projects. I thought about building a bait tank a couple years ago when the Costco out here first carried the "Vittles Vaults" for $20. I started to think, I'm not too confident/talented with such endeavors and how many of the Vaults I might go through because I made a too large/many holes (etc.) how many trips I was willing to make to Home Depot for forgotten or wrong sized parts and then online purchases for items not carried by HD (like timer/on/off switch, bilge pump etc.).
After buying/outfitting my '12 Outback from OEX SSB (ANDY ) and reading/seeing some of the customizing the guys down at OEX Mission Bay (Props to CJ and Jeff) have done for their customers I wouldn't hesitate to recommend just buying from them since you're in that area (or online). PLUS if you read some repair threads done buy OEX they stand behind their work. I've read threads where customers have gone back with some issues with wiring, connectors switches etc. and have repairs done, no muss no fuss and little (maybe just charge for parts) to no charge, depending on the age of the item or install.
My opinion may be a little biased but I doubt anyone here would disagree with my assessment of these Stores and there dedication to customer satisfaction!
I wanted to be the first to buy the new'15 Outback, but now I'm patiently waiting on HOBIE to make a new bucket for their rectangular hatch option for the '15 Outback as my fly cases won't fit in the tackle management slots and while waiting I'm searching the $ stores for a plastic storage box that might fit the depth of the new Outback, BUT I WILL be purchasing from OEX SSB as soon as they/I find a solution.
FFY
Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

You can do it...its easy