Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

To Turbo or not to Turbo

I am heading into the third season riding my beloved Revo. I know it may sound lame but for the first two years I got by using the stock Hobie fins. Fortunately, Santa took care of that problem this year.

Most people dump their stock fins right away. I don't have a good excuse for waiting so long but that is now old news. Today was my first day out with the turbo set up and I have some observations to share.

When many people talk about the benefit of using turbo fins, the conversation usually centers around the increased speed they supply. This is true. I can go about two, maybe three MPH faster with the turbos than with the stock fins but that is not the whole story.

With the stock fins I could peddle at full speed for miles without getting too worn out. With the turbo fins, the energy consumption when going hard is much higher, more like running uphill or against a strong wind. I can go faster but probably not farther. As I get used to the more powerful engine, I am sure that I will adjust somewhat.

From my experience, the real beauty of the turbo fins is how easy they make slow cruising. I peddled around for hours today holding a pace of about 2 MPH and never got the slightest bit tired. It was a different story while doing my sprint tests, however. Trolling, even against a current or strong wind will definately be easier with the turbo setup.

So should everyone get the turbo fins? I would say the answer is yes for anyone who fishes or cruises the ocean or other large expanses of water. For small water activities, the benefits may not be worth the extra $80 bucks. As for me, I am a happy camper. I should have done this long ago.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
kobra

Congrats on your engine upgrade Bob. And yes you will definitely get used to the turbos. After a little while, they will just seem normal.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Bob,
I've had my turbos for about two years now and I remember when I first got them. I thought I was going to have to put the stock ones back on for the kids. But since I procrastinated and didn't change them back the kids have adapted to them nicely. Now, its like a 'walk in the park' as I tell them to just think of it as taking a walk and maintain the pace. For me, I like to think of it as the horizontal stairmaster, lean back slightly and work-out my abs. Whatever works! We throw a mean wake when we go through the harbors and more than once we have been told to slow down! I love my Turbos!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

You could always switch back...

One time I had to borrow an extra mirage drive that only had the stock fins. About halfway to the pier, with a full day to burn, I almost turned around and went home--- before I even made bait. Especially on the Revo, the turbo fins make a huge difference.
Use what makes you happy, Bob. It's certainly no business of mine.

That being said, I consider my time on the water precious---turbo fins all the way.