Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Dana point suggestions

Planning on fishing out of Dana Point on Saturday, any suggestions on where to launch, which way to fish north or south? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
GregAndrew

You can launch for free at Babys Beach if you can get a parking space, or you can park for $10 at the boat launch. The $10 at the boat launch will get you slightly more secure parking, free water spigot to wash your stuff down (bring a hose) and a much shorter paddle to get outside and back in. Have not fished there in a few weeks, so no info on that end. The bait barge is a couple hundred yards from the boat launch on the way outside.If launching at Babys, stay between the moored boats to the end for the barge. If you decide to head north, you can make bait near the buoy off the point.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Vikingj

Matt,

You can launch out of baby beach inside the harbor with free parking, pb'er launching ramp ($15?), or through small waves at Doheny (pay parking). Baby beach (up toward the Pilgrim & Marine institute) is the most popular choice. Never know for sure which direction is best (flip a coin?). Lately: inside harbor for more bites but smaller fish; Doheny beach for hali's, leopard shark, and juvenile wsb; pipeline 1mi offshore for sandbass and thresher shark; capo reef (toward San Clemente) for calico & sandy; headlands for high % skunk risk or occassional big hali, sandy, or wsb.
Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Ohana

Matt:

I was fishing outside Dana Pt. on Monday and there was some heavy areas of red tide off Doheny. So the best bet right now is south of the harbor towards Capo beach and San Clemente Pier and the other areas north of the harbor. I went south on Monday and other then having a T-shark bite and then break-off, I had a no-fish day, the first time for me fishing off my kayak

Vikingj (Wayne) stated you can launch out of Doheny, but I think they have just recently stopped kayaker's from launching off the beach north of the San Juan Creek river mouth due to conflict with surfers.

There are some very big fish just outside the harbor; last Sunday, a kayaker pulled in a 56 pound white seabass.

Good luck to you. I am planning to fish Newport Harbor on Wednesday.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Iparker
Junior

Matt,

I launched at baby beach last Sunday morning and had a quick fish just north of the harbor. The water had cleared up nicely and there are some kelp stringers prior to the headlands if you don't want to paddle that far. There were some small barricuda that wanted to play and I'm guessing if I had the right bait, it probably would be all the small bass you wanted. If you can't carry a scoop of bait, take some shiny lures like a kroc or some squid. I fished the Sunday prior on in front of Aliso Beach and found the calicos like the krocodile better than the plastics.

Tight Lines,

Ian
Iparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
ElectroMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
Matt:

Vikingj (Wayne) stated you can launch out of Doheny, but I think they have just recently stopped kayaker's from launching off the beach north of the San Juan Creek river mouth due to conflict with surfers.
I launched there Sunday and the life guard looked right at me when I came in and didn't say anything. Couldn't find any further info online. Anyone else know anything?
ElectroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroMike View Post
I launched there Sunday and the life guard looked right at me when I came in and didn't say anything. Couldn't find any further info online. Anyone else know anything?
Here is a link with the articles showing what areas are off-limits:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...ers-stand.html

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/p...tml?graphics=1

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote