Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Central Coast Slam Down / Leffingwell

Recently finished the Central Coast Slam and had a blast. Caught a lot of bottom fish and I am pretty sure a personal best cabezon. I also lost a 33”+ halibut off the yak. Had 3 great days of fishing! I saw a lot of Lingcod caught, just none by me.

Post tournament some monster fish were caught south of moonstone beach near Santa Rosa. Even recently there have been some monster perch from the surf caught!

Check out my review of Central Coast Slam at:

https://beachestobackroads.com/2018/...tslamdown2018/

And a video of my fishing adventure at:

https://youtu.be/envK61rCqWs

Leave comments and let me know what you think.

Tights lines guys!
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblH3XWON8qXKSNltF2cHw
SoCalCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
YTHunter
Carlisle

Good post and video! Fun to see how you roll up north.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

Absolutely my favorite kayak tournament of the year! Once again I had a blast fishing Leffingwell and caught my first Lingcod off a kayak this year. It was nice seeing the healthy kelp beds, I took the opportunity to harvest a bunch and made spicy jalapeño pickled kelp when I got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
John M

You going to bring some of the spicy kelp to Oct on the fly?
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Absolutely my favorite kayak tournament of the year! Once again I had a blast fishing Leffingwell and caught my first Lingcod off a kayak this year. It was nice seeing the healthy kelp beds, I took the opportunity to harvest a bunch and made spicy jalapeño pickled kelp when I got home.

That looks interesting. Good? Probably good for you. I always appreciate resourcefulness so really nice work.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

I will be bringing it to Mako-ville! My pickled kelp is always a hit when I make it. I have several friends that have standing orders whenever I can find quality kelp. This batch used bread & butter (sweet) pickle mix, and one seeded and sliced jalapeño per quart jar. Supposed to wait 3-4 weeks before opening for the pickling to finish, so will be trying them for the first time later in the week.

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Rollin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
Good post and video! Fun to see how you roll up north.
Thanks for watching!

This trip I tried some different tactics. I got bit by what I am sure was a "large" White Sea Bass. I was taking a break from jigging with those 6oz lead heads and an octopus skirt, with my gear 5-10' below the boat, and my reel started smoking! Snap, my 30lb fluorocarbon was broken instantly. Talking to some free divers they told me their have been large WSB in the area!

It was a blast! The Cabezon made the trip. The halibut would have been amazing too!

Got a few more trips planned soon......
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

Old 10-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Pickled Kelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
That looks interesting. Good? Probably good for you. I always appreciate resourcefulness so really nice work.
Congrats on your first Lingcod. SLO County continued to challenge me on getting a legal ing onto the kayak. Had one, once.... my last video shows it sliding right back into the water

Jalepeno kelp, sounds interesting..... Definetaly something I would try.

Thanks for watching and following along guys.

Beachestobackroads.com