Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
spyakker

Transducer install.

How are you guys going about installing your transducers?
I have a hobie (not lowrance ready) and am thinking about getting a new fish finder. My current transducer is drilled through the hull and sits flush on the bottom of the yak. I know the new lowrance transducers are pretty thick and I want to keep it in the hull. How accurate are the readings if I just place the transducer in the hull with no drilling? Anyone run it like that? If so, what are your methods to keep the transducer in one place. I heard of glue, plumbers putty, ect.
I'm thinking about picking up a Lowrance elite 4. My current transducer is an Airmar P319 50/200. Should I use the old transducer or new one that it comes with?
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Lowrance has transducers that will "shoot through" a kayak hull, but they are not the ones that come with the Elite 3 and 4 fishfinders. Those transducers have to be in the water outside of the hull.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
acorad

If you use the search function on this site you will find tons and tons of info!

But in a nutshell, from what I've read, if the transducer is mounted correctly, a plastic kayak hull has little appreciable effect on the ducer's function.

The ducer needs to mounted correctly though. There can be no air gaps/voids between the ducer and the kayak hull.

The glue, plumber's putty, etc, that you mention above, not only attach the ducer to the kayak hull, but also, when done correctly, completely fill the space between the ducer and the hull such that there are no air voids/bubbles/etc.
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
tamddo714

Ram transducer arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
PescadorPete

I've tried three ways with the same sounder Elite5 (non-chirp) and same kayak. First was Gooped to the hull. That worked good. Later on I built a wet well with a plastic electrical box and filled it with water. That worked better. When the well eventually sprung a leak, I decided to try putty. I put a thin coat of putty on it and put it back in the empty wet well. That works the best of all. I don't know if this is valid for chirp transducers.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
But in a nutshell, from what I've read, if the transducer is mounted correctly, a plastic kayak hull has little appreciable effect on the ducer's function.
I know the stock Elite transducers(HST-WSU 106-48) do not shoot through the hull of a kayak because I tested three new transducers(or "ducers") and two new Elite 3x fishfinders. Even in water, inside the hull, they did not work. The older Eagle skimmer transducers, which have the same part number will shoot through a kayak hull.

Give it a shot, maybe it will work.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
spyakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
I've tried three ways with the same sounder Elite5 (non-chirp) and same kayak. First was Gooped to the hull. That worked good. Later on I built a wet well with a plastic electrical box and filled it with water. That worked better. When the well eventually sprung a leak, I decided to try putty. I put a thin coat of putty on it and put it back in the empty wet well. That works the best of all. I don't know if this is valid for chirp transducers.
Not looking at the chirp model. Can you pm me pictures? interested in your set up.
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote